User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better served to put a smoke detector in basement.
    Never seen one of those extinguishers actually do anything, nor put out any fire.
    If you have a small fire, that you can safely approach, use a small dry chemical extinguisher, if not get everyone out and away, call 911, think about what you want for your next camper.
    2021 310gk
    2019 F350 Platinum CCSB SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to sound like a broken record here. As a career firefighter nearing retirement, I have fought Rv and mobile home fires. I get very concerned when on forums I see people talking about using an extinguisher to fight their way out of the Rv. I know that is not what the OP is looking at but others have mentioned it. As others have said, these things go up fast and put out tons of toxic smoke. If you are sleeping and a fire starts, your only option is to get out the emergency window. You can’t fight an active fire between you and an exit with an extinguisher of any size. The smoke will most likely kill you as soon as you open the bedroom door.
    I agree that working smoke and CO detectors are your safest bet.
    Back to OPs question. I have put a couple of the auto extinguishers in my fridge compartment in the hopes they will actually do something but I am not relying on them to save my life or the camper if there is anything more than a very small fire.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^What he said. We have a 5-pounder next to the emergency window, along with a roll up emergency ladder that we set on the dresser under that window when we get to where we're going. It's a long way down going out that window.
    It is too far to hit the door if there is a fire in the fridge or the fuse panel.

As an aside, there was a guy on here a few years ago that kept 6 or7 extinguishers in his trailer in various locations...another one that was going to keep an axe next to the bed to bust out a wall!
    Guess it's whatever makes you feel safe.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightclimber View Post
    Going to sound like a broken record here. As a career firefighter nearing retirement, I have fought Rv and mobile home fires. I get very concerned when on forums I see people talking about using an extinguisher to fight their way out of the Rv. I know that is not what the OP is looking at but others have mentioned it. As others have said, these things go up fast and put out tons of toxic smoke. If you are sleeping and a fire starts, your only option is to get out the emergency window. You can’t fight an active fire between you and an exit with an extinguisher of any size. The smoke will most likely kill you as soon as you open the bedroom door.
    I agree that working smoke and CO detectors are your safest bet.
    Back to OPs question. I have put a couple of the auto extinguishers in my fridge compartment in the hopes they will actually do something but I am not relying on them to save my life or the camper if there is anything more than a very small fire.
    Unfortunately, everything I've seen with most of the auto fire extinguishers, is they must be used in an "enclosed" area. The refrigerator has a top and bottom vents, which kind of defeats the "enclosed" area. A couple of the ball extinguishers (albeit they are Chinese made, so taken with a grain of salt) show videos of the ball being thrown into a "small" container and when the ball activates it extinguishes the fire. Yes I'm aware these are promo videos, so...

Again, I'm looking to buy those few extra seconds. Yes, we have smoke and CO2 detectors in the coach. I thought about a smoke detector in the refrigerator compartment, but dust from the road might actually set it off. Maybe I need to put one inside on the ceiling, right in front of the refrigerator.

I don't know. I'm probably over thinking all of this!
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    I don't know. I'm probably over thinking all of this!
    I don’t feel you are overthinking it. Better to have a plan and thought process now then later. Also I wanted to mention a great place for a smoke detector is the “ceiling” of the basement. Covers the water heater and furnace if something went wrong.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justa5th View Post
    I don’t feel you are overthinking it. Better to have a plan and thought process now then later. Also I wanted to mention a great place for a smoke detector is the “ceiling” of the basement. Covers the water heater and furnace if something went wrong.
    Didn't think about that! Thanks! I'll be putting one down there, for sure!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changing Lanes did a video on this awhile back. May be of value to you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0A3Qb8SX5pI&t=8s

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fire suppression system

I have 3 fire suppression extinguishers mounts in the RV. These are designed to deploy when the temperature in that location reaches a temperature indicating a fire. My goal is to buy time to evacuate. One is in the refrigerator area, one where the converter and fuse panel, and the other in the battery compartment. The company is Fire Fight Products. I created a peep hole in my pass-thru compartment to monitor that the extinguisher is fully charger. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01806CE8-DF70-490F-8C84-07FDF29C9C24.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	42307
    Lynn
    Dallas, Texas
    2021 Reflection 337RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SueLynn View Post
    I have 3 fire suppression extinguishers mounts in the RV. These are designed to deploy when the temperature in that location reaches a temperature indicating a fire. My goal is to buy time to evacuate. One is in the refrigerator area, one where the converter and fuse panel, and the other in the battery compartment. The company is Fire Fight Products. I created a peep hole in my pass-thru compartment to monitor that the extinguisher is fully charger. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01806CE8-DF70-490F-8C84-07FDF29C9C24.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	42307
    What kind are they?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The brand are Fire Fight Products. Www. firefightproducts.com
    Lynn
    Dallas, Texas
    2021 Reflection 337RLS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123