User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem with tank level indicators?

Hello,
    My family of five is currently taking our brand new Transcend 265BH on a shake down trip at a local campground. While we do have full hookups available, I’m running in boondock mode just to see how tank capacities perform. I filled our fresh water tank until it overflowed when we first arrived and the grey/black tanks indicated empty. In less than 24 hours, after washing dishes from dinner and breakfast, 2 adults taking showers, and restroom uses as needed, the fresh water tank is showing empty, the grey is showing 2/3 full, and the black is showing 2/3 full. Knowing that we are trying to determine the capabilities of this unit, we’ve been mindful of water usage. I don’t think we’ve been careless with usage at all. Based on others experience, does this seem normal? If so, then I don’t think boondocking will be possible. Are the tank level sensors accurate enough to be reliable?

For reference, the specific capacities are listed below:

Fresh - 62 gallons
    Grey - 78 gallons
    Black - 39 gallons

Thanks,
    Eric

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofast23 View Post
    Hello,
    My family of five is currently taking our brand new Transcend 265BH on a shake down trip at a local campground. While we do have full hookups available, I’m running in boondock mode just to see how tank capacities perform. I filled our fresh water tank until it overflowed when we first arrived and the grey/black tanks indicated empty. In less than 24 hours, after washing dishes from dinner and breakfast, 2 adults taking showers, and restroom uses as needed, the fresh water tank is showing empty, the grey is showing 2/3 full, and the black is showing 2/3 full. Knowing that we are trying to determine the capabilities of this unit, we’ve been mindful of water usage. I don’t think we’ve been careless with usage at all. Based on others experience, does this seem normal? If so, then I don’t think boondocking will be possible. Are the tank level sensors accurate enough to be reliable?

Fresh - 62 gallons
    Grey - 78 gallons
    Black - 39 gallons

Thanks,
    Eric
    That seems very normal to me. I think you will be very surprised at how much water you actually use. It's an eye opening experience. At least you are at a park with full hookups. Many years ago, with the first trailer I ever owned, I filled the fresh water tank (20 gallons) and we had a cassette toilet, so no water went into that from the fresh supply. I ran out of water that evening. Had to cut my stay short. I was about 3.5 hours from home, way up in the high country. After that failed trip, I filled the fresh tank, 4 five gallon collapsible water bags, and a 6 gallon Gott water cooler. One five gallon water bag was for dishes (I used more paper products the next trip), one was for washing hands, the other two were my reserves, and the 20 gallon fresh tank went to cooking and such. Drinking water was in the 6 gallon Gott cooler.

I was able to go 9 days, boondocking, back then. I had to hook the jumper cables up from the truck to the battery in the camper to charge it, but it worked.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds normal for a family of 5. When I am boon docking showers are out and we just sponge down the critical parts I will also sometimes use the dish water in the toilet. We do not fill the sink with water, but use a wash pan that fits 1/2 the sink edges to wash, then use the spray for a quick rinse. We carry bottled water for drinking.

For serious boon docking many carry spare water in a tank or bladder in the truck. While at Denali I noticed a truck with a rack that held the large 2.5 gallon water jugs you get at the store - I think he carried 20 gallons of spare water that way.

For the most part the tank indicators are good, but the black tank can get wacky due to paper hang up on the probes.

BTW how did you prep your black tank? I add about 10 gallons of water to start and one cup Dawn dish soap along withe tied laundry pod. If you did not add water to start you may end up with a pile issue and plugged up dump tube. This worked great for my Alaska trip and kept things clean and easy to dump.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the others, this is normal for the number of people.

Figure 8 gallons each for showers, that’s 40 gallons right there.

Another 5 or so washing dishes.
    10 -15 with the toilet runs.

That’s 65 gallons right there. I’d say you did excellent for first time out, getting to know your rig, etc.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofast23 View Post
    Hello,

Fresh - 62 gallons
    Grey - 78 gallons
    Black - 39 gallons

Thanks,
    Eric
    Not surprising but you should be able to stretch it a bit more.

One thing, The fresh water "capacity" is misleading. That counts (at the very least) what's in the water heater. Our unit is listed at 93 gallons. using a water meter I'll usually get about 72/73 gallons in it (if the 12 gallon water heater is already full) before it starts coming out of the overflow. 73+12= 85, not sure where the other 8 is but it is what it is.

The fresh water tank capacity is really what your usable capacity is. Once the tank runs dry what's left in the pipes or WH isn't accessible.

We have found dish washing to use more water than you think. If we're boondocking, its paper plates and plastic utensils, absolute minimal dishwashing.

Showers need to be "army" showers. Use full hot on the valve to minimize the wasted water getting it to temperature, turn it off, Get it turn it on and quickly wet down, turn it off, soap up, back on to quickly rinse off, done. The water shouldnt be running for more than a minute or so.

If possible use outside toilet facilities as much as you can. (porta potties, etc if available).

We'll spend 4 days at the race track twice a year. Using these methods we don't even come close to running out of water. That includes 8 or so "showers" for the group. I'll usually end the weekend with 30 to 40% of my water left.

We do bring an extra 20 gallons of water along in those collapsible water jugs but haven't needed them.

I've replaced my tank monitors with seelevel monitors which are significantly more accurate.

YMMV
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DW and I have been boondockers for 30 years. Usually in remote locations where water isn't available. Yes you need to be mindful of usage. One thing that has helped all of our coaches is to upgrade the faucets and showerhead with upgraded residential ones. And install a real 100% off shutoff valve on the showerhead.
    Our rigs have gotten more capable over the years. Now with the Momentum we can go a month witout running out of FW or filling our tanks. We love the capacities, and it was the primary reason we bought it.
    Last edited by huntindog; 09-03-2022 at 07:21 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just bought a 2023 265bh, the black tank when empty shows 1/3 full, has from day 1, and the grey tank #2 seems to fill up fast, so fast I don't believe it is full. My guess is that is the shower/bathroom sink. Any idea on each grey tank capacities?
    The grey tanks drains are connected together but don't seem to equalize, anyone know if there is a check valve in line?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertdyeo View Post
    The grey tanks drains are connected together but don't seem to equalize, anyone know if there is a check valve in line?
    On some models with the drop frame, they won’t equalize very well due to the fact they are on different levels.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are a family of 5 and can make it 5 days if we are very careful. A couple of notes. The gray, and especially black, indicators are frequently fouled and report that it is more full than it is. Also, you lose a lot of fresh water going down the road. We have lost up to 1/3 or more. We put a valve on the overflow that we close during travel.
    Timmer
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
    2015 Ford F350, 6.2L Gas, Crew Cab

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just finished a trip to the Watkins Glen Nascar race a couple of weeks ago. We were in a friends new to him Jaco with 43 gallon fresh water capacity. There were 4 adult men using the shower daily (3 mornings of showers). We never ran out of water, and that included washing our cooking dishes. We camped in the infield area, and filled up when we got there. We did not use the bathroom for anything other than showers. There are facilities available at various area around the infield. The wife and I will be boondocking in a couple of weeks, which will be our 5th trip to this campground in 5 years. There are 5 couples and an additional family of 4 who do it every year. I fill up at home, loose some on the trip, but I have not run out ever while camping, and we take showers every day (3 days).
    Take very limited showers getting the essentials and as mentioned, shut the water off after getting wet, only turning it back on to rinse - quickly. Use more paper than regular household dishes to limit dish washing. I do all of my cooking on a Blackstone griddle, but my wife is vegetarian/vegan so does her own thing for her meals (I do eat "her" food too). This means very limited cooking dishes to wash. We use a whatever pan was used for cooking to fill with dishwater to wash dishes with, then a good rinse (I have a very good reason for the good rinse). Drinking water is bottled water - always. We do bring 3 gallon jugs of home water for coffee and tea. We camp several times a year at state parks - none of which have water hook ups, electric only. It's absolutely doable, you just need to determine what the priorities are for you and yours and control the water use. Using 62 qallons of water in 24 hours seems like a lot to me (we have camped a few times with two grandkids and not used that much water).
    Last edited by SGT ROC; 09-04-2023 at 08:08 AM.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast