User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wild Turkeys

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever been in the woods in the early morning when the turkeys come out of the trees? Sound like bowling balls crashing down. Will scare the wits out of you in the early dawn light.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    Ever been in the woods in the early morning when the turkeys come out of the trees? Sound like bowling balls crashing down. Will scare the wits out of you in the early dawn light.
    Same when they go up to roost. Sounds like a freaking bear crashing through the woods!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Nice!
    How long would it take to drive from Saskatoon to Waskesiu?
    2 1/2 hours, great campground, great little townsite,great golf course (it was Bob Hope’s favourite). Pretty busy in July and August but June and September are not bad. The town and campground shut down for the winter.
    Peter Hoemsen
    Prince Albert SK Canada
    2022 337 RLS
    2021 GMC 2500 Duramax L5P

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky12 View Post
    2 1/2 hours, great campground, great little townsite,great golf course (it was Bob Hope’s favourite). Pretty busy in July and August but June and September are not bad. The town and campground shut down for the winter.
    I've seen a picture of me when I was there when I was four or five years old. I'm 58 now. Feel like going back just to see what I was so happy about back then. It's a two day drive for me to get to Saskatoon...but I think I'll make the drive next year.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    It was just nice to see some different wildlife coming back. It was more of a shock to see them right outside our door. There are some deer that get close to the campground here and drink from the pond but are very skittish, you hardly ever see them. I grew up around northern Indiana and never saw a wild turkey around our farm. Hunted out I guess. Foxes are pretty much extinct in the old area where I grew up, farmers killed them for getting in their chickens. Racoons are to plentiful to kill off I guess, they are good egg thief's.

Well I hear turkey is going to be very pricey this Thanksgiving, (what isn't) something about bird flu, read the other day where they had to kill thousands because of the infestation.

O"h yes Canadian Geese can be a real pain and messy, where I went to corporate training school they used to hose off the sidewalks everyday, crap everywhere! They were a protected species, suppose they still are.
    Please, there is no species called " Canadian Geese".
    We are proud to share our Canada geese with you!
    Peter Hoemsen
    Prince Albert SK Canada
    2022 337 RLS
    2021 GMC 2500 Duramax L5P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice! I hunted them for a few years and really enjoyed learning I could hunt them if needed. And even on the Tom’s, you can eat all parts and it’s quite good, makes excellent enchiladas. I haven’t in a few years because we haven’t needed to and don’t support the act of killing anything we don’t need to, prefer to observe them and enjoy their wildness and beauty for now. If you’re going to kill it, I’m fine with that if you eat all of it. A hen walked up and almost sat in my sons lap as I taught him how to hunt them about a decade ago. But if our country keeps up this push for us to eat insects, I will not be and will be out collecting some of the turkeys, only as many as needed for our family.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In northern CA we see wild turkeys quite often. They are everywhere and aren't afraid of people. We were camping at Coyote Lake recently and always see turkeys, wild pigs, racoons, and deer. I looked across the meadow there and saw some movement in the tall grass and was surprised to see a bobcat looking for supper.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Not something you see everyday roaming through a campground especially so close to a populated area in Richmond Indiana close to Interstate 70. A lot of wild animals have disappeared from populated areas, you don't see them very often unless deep in the woods. You'll always see Racoons, Opossums and such, but not many wild turkeys. Even foxes have disappeared pretty much around here.
    In Kentucky, we make whiskey out of them!
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123