User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During a windstorm between Cheyenne and Rawlins in 2019 we traveled 4+ hours through 65+ mph crosswinds and thought that the only damage was to the slide out cover.
    During a detailed inspection once getting home (Blaine Washington) a determination was made that the entire roof had separated to the point that only a full replacement would resolve the issue.
    I am not suggesting to quit/avoid driving, but I do subscribe to drive according to conditions. Only you can determine what is too heavy, for me I have changed my mind and use 40 mph (especially cross winds) to be my limit. Find a place to hide and let the storm pass!
    Total cost for repairs, including roof, slide out, and awning damage was north of $15k . . . .$500 deductible!
    Last edited by marine6805; 10-05-2022 at 03:17 PM.
    2018 RAM 3500 MC, CTD 6.7, 68RFE
    (2nd RAM MC w/CTD 85K Hitch Miles)
    2019 Imagine 2250RK, replaced hail destroyed BH (Brand X) in 2019.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course, it depends on the direction. A cross wind with the F150 will cause you MUCH work to keep it on the road; you will have to go slow. A headwind will cut your fuel efficiency in half! I had a headwind once in West Texas where I burned a whole tank of fuel in about a 100 miles!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YES! It's a problem!
    Be safe and smart.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Experience here... We pulled a 39 Ft. travel trailer for 25 years. Every time a truck passed I would tense-up and cringe as first the truck would push me away and then suck me into it with twice as much force.

One time with 25 Mph gusts I pulled off the road as it became too difficult to stay in my own lane...and I had only 3/4 ton vehicles for all that time..

Now we have a 42 Ft Solitude with a Ford diesel dually, but I would probably stay off the freeways with that much wind...
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We delivered RVs from manufacturers in Indiana to dealers across the Lower 48 and Canada. The broker's insurance would not cover damage if we were in winds over 30 mph.. I have found that is white knuckle enough, and I have driven over 5 million miles in an 18 wheeler.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like most here, I'd take a pass. We moved From WA state to FL a couple years ago. Coming Thru WY we encountered 35-40mph winds and it was enough for me to pack it in and finds the nearest campsite. I drive a Ram 3500 and a Grand Design Imagine TT (32 FT). It was my first encounter with those types of winds, but 35 would be limit - for anyone. Just not worth the risk!

Good Luck!
    Steve & Pat
    2019 Ram 3500 Limited MegaCab
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-stat...100&format=png

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Wyoming they call that Tuesday!

Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    With your setup I'd be uncomfortable doing it if it'sthat high a wind speed consistently, especially if it's head or broadside winds. Every tow setup is a little different, though.
    We've just came back through Wyoming with strong headwinds for several hundred miles at under 5 miles per gallon. Didn't have any trouble with the 5th, but the truck suffered a ton. Just something else to think about.
    Ron & Cylinda Mathews
    On The Road
    2021 Reflections 303RLS
    2014 Ford F250 Super Duty

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots1950 View Post
    We delivered RVs from manufacturers in Indiana to dealers across the Lower 48 and Canada. The broker's insurance would not cover damage if we were in winds over 30 mph.. I have found that is white knuckle enough, and I have driven over 5 million miles in an 18 wheeler.
    THANK YOU! We were traveling and loss cell service. The radio & emergency alerts were sketchy. It was just dusk, we ALWAYS watch Truckers for Safty. There was a fast approaching storm and Truckers were exiting quickly. We followed! Everyone took cover, left their trucks as we left our TT 37FT. & F350 for cover. It turned out to be a Tornado!
    A delay of only 3 hours and we (all persons) were safe and sound. Able to continue their journeys.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black hills SD View Post
    Best thing I put on my F-150 was air bags. Took a lot of sway away pulling my 2800BH. You just have slow down.
    I am looking into the different things but may just not deal with it since we are going to upgrade (truck and RV) soon.

And yes, 60 is our max speed. I have seen people doing 70+ with a TT and it is scary. They also drive like they are not dragging a trailer. Switching lanes way to fast.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned yesterday that my steps come out when driving in ~20mph cross winds with 40mph gusts. Had to stop four times to put the steps back in. I also learned my max comfort level for cross wind speeds.
    2021 Imagine XLS 23bhe
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland v8 4WD | 7,400 tow | 6800 GVWR - Sold
    Husky WD 30849 w/ sway control kit | Tekonsha brake controller
    Jeep + driver and 2 passengers = 5,990 | Trailer = 6,520 | Tongue = 760

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast