Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

I got a brand new roof!!!

Hi Everyone! I hope you're great!
    We needed a new roof. Our front screws pulled out and we had some other issues going on so I reached out to my insurance company and submitted a claim.

I know. It's not often that I post anymore. I'm out enjoying the camper (30K miles in 3 years while still working full time - both of us.).

Progressive approved the claim and the adjuster's eyes lit up when I said that I didn't want to get the factory roof replaced but instead wanted to do a roof coating. I reached out to the team at Flex Armor and specifically John Fisher at the AZ (Prescott) location of RV Roof. John and I exchanged some emails back and forth and I decided that was the way to go. I loved the idea of a 3/16" coating that was sprayed on instead of rolled on. Since I don't use my RV full time and Prescott wasn't too far away, it was the perfect scenario. The team did a great job. I was able to drive the camper in on a Tuesday evening, use their 50A service, stay the night (Quiet), and the next morning, we discussed what I wanted. The store manager, Shawn, recommended some Bull Nose coping on the edge of the roof so that it would provide a greater structure than what was there. That was basically a butt joint between the roof and the sides. I was leery of the cost but we were able to make it work. I also wanted some unistrut installed on the roof to install solar panels. They were able to accommodate that as well.

Anyway, 3 days later (Friday), the rig was done. The work is impeccable, the roof is fully sealed, and I have a lifetime warranty. Between what the insurance compensated me and the price of the install, the overall cost was pretty minimal.

On the drive home, we're camping in the rain and I can tell you that the noise from the roof (not the slides) is more quiet than it was before the spray on roof. The roof looks outstanding, and I am exceptionally happy.

I thought I would check in and let you all know my experience. It seems that this is a common problem on the GD's and so I wanted to provide a path for you. There are also roll on coatings that are guaranteed and work great for those who have had them installed. There are plusses and minuses to each and you should do your research to understand what is right for you. If you have any questions on my research and my decision, you can reach out to me at my first name @ tretta.com and I will let you know. I check in on the site occasionally, but am camping so much in our 385GK and WORKING that I'm not on here as much.

I am still working on photography like I had indicated earlier and am getting better. If you're interested, let me know. I upgraded to a Nikon Z7ii and am shooting as much as time allows. I hope you are all doing well and LOVE how the forum continues to grow. I am so impressed by how the team has continually grown the site. Good job, Janet and company.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, Great to hear from you! The roof replacement is awesome. We had a neighbor that went that route and they were just as happy with it as you are. As for your photography, a link to an on line album? Keep enjoying life and come back to say hi now and then!
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Hi Marcy!
    I'm starting to populate www.trettaimaging.com. I am also at www.gurushots.com/chris10. Trettaimaging will be getting a lot of updates now that camping season is winding down.
    Chris
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2019 Grand Design 385GK

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new roof! Pictures, we need pictures of the roof. This roof coating is definitely gaining in popularity. Glad it worked out for you.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear about your experience Chris. The roof on our S-Class 3350 started to balloon, So I taped the devil out of it to finish the season. I caught it in time with my tri annual roof inspections. My dealer said I need a new roof. Grand Design declined my request for a warranty/ good will claim (only 2 1/2 yrs in service). My insurance company stepped up, but, said this is getting all too common with TPO roofs. They claim adhesive failure is the root cause. I am scheduled for a Flex Armor application in Apr next year at the MO, location. (closest to me). I am paying extra to have the entire TPO removed and the decking completely prepped for the Flex Armor product. After much research, I no longer trust the Grand Design TPO install one iota. I have found too many Grand Design TPO roof failures to make me comfortable. On our last 1100 mile round trip, I counted 7 ballooning roofs going in the opposite direction, 4 of which were Grand Design products. The other 3 were other brands. Glad to hear you are happy. Best wishes, Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Hi Bill,
    As soon as I get home, I'll do a pic with the drone. I'm not one for the roof any more. LOL.
    Chris
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2019 Grand Design 385GK

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    Good to hear about your experience Chris. The roof on our S-Class 3350 started to balloon, So I taped the devil out of it to finish the season. I caught it in time with my tri annual roof inspections. My dealer said I need a new roof. Grand Design declined my request for a warranty/ good will claim (only 2 1/2 yrs in service). My insurance company stepped up, but, said this is getting all too common with TPO roofs. They claim adhesive failure is the root cause. I am scheduled for a Flex Armor application in Apr next year at the MO, location. (closest to me). I am paying extra to have the entire TPO removed and the decking completely prepped for the Flex Armor product. After much research, I no longer trust the Grand Design TPO install one iota. I have found too many Grand Design TPO roof failures to make me comfortable. On our last 1100 mile round trip, I counted 7 ballooning roofs going in the opposite direction, 4 of which were Grand Design products. The other 3 were other brands. Glad to hear you are happy. Best wishes, Frank.
    Great roof Chris. Frank, I don't doubt that its the adhesive and in conjunction with the front joining of the cap and roof. I was up on our roof over a year ago and I found the metal strip joining the front cap to the TPO roof was loose and popping up though the self leveling sealant at the ends. There were no screws in the ends of the metal strip. That would allow air from towing to get up under the TPO material and start to loosen and lift it and creating air bubbles underneath. Seeing as how the adhesive job isn't that good to begin with, it could create all sorts of air bubbles.

I caught ours in time, drilled new pilot holes down though the joint and into the metal frame underneath, inserted new SS screws on both ends of the joining strip and into the frame, checked the others for tightness and stripping, some others were loose. Then sealed the whole join again across the front with self leveling sealant.

But if I ever need to replace the roof I'm going with something like Chris did.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Steven@147, Hi Steve, Actually the termination strip is still solidly in place, caulk and all. The TPO has stretched and is loose behind the termination strip. The rear edge of the caulk on the termination strip has split from being pulled by the ballooning TPO. The fact that the termination strip was still solidly in place gave me my first indication that I had an adhesion problem. I had two mobile techs (via video)and my local dealer (roof inspection) confirm the TPO came loose.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    This was our issue too! Exactly this. Thanks Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Great roof Chris. Frank, I don't doubt that its the adhesive and in conjunction with the front joining of the cap and roof. I was up on our roof over a year ago and I found the metal strip joining the front cap to the TPO roof was loose and popping up though the self leveling sealant at the ends. There were no screws in the ends of the metal strip. That would allow air from towing to get up under the TPO material and start to loosen and lift it and creating air bubbles underneath. Seeing as how the adhesive job isn't that good to begin with, it could create all sorts of air bubbles.
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2019 Grand Design 385GK