Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Generator Power

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I'm not familiar with your model but there might be an inverter somewhere that needs to be powered on. If not, then you could always add one.

An inverter would not be involved with this problem.

There are two transfer switches in RVs with generators. The first switches between shore power and the generator with the generator having priority. That is, if the generator is running, the transfer switch will supply power from the generator to the RV. This assumes everything is hooked up correctly and no breakers are tripped.

The second transfer switch switches between supplied 120V AC (shore power or the generator) and inverter supplied AC (from the battery) with 120V AC having priority. That is, if 120V AC is available from shore power or the generator, the inverter is not used.

Also, in most cases, the inverter only power the refrigerator and RV 120V outlets.
    Last edited by Tom Traveler; 12-27-2022 at 12:31 PM.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update- found the switch, had wife unplug shore power and the switch disengaged. Went to start generator at the generator (which I didn’t do yesterday) and it started but the switch didn’t engage. Did notice red light on generator start switch constantly blinks while running. Turned it off and did the process to get trouble code and it was a 14 code.
    So I think the problem is something with the generator. I ordered a maintenance kit this morning so I will focus my attention on it for now and get it working properly and see what happens.
    2018 Momentum 397TH
    2021 Ford F350 DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad74 View Post
    Update- found the switch, had wife unplug shore power and the switch disengaged. Went to start generator at the generator (which I didn’t do yesterday) and it started but the switch didn’t engage. Did notice red light on generator start switch constantly blinks while running. Turned it off and did the process to get trouble code and it was a 14 code.
    So I think the problem is something with the generator. I ordered a maintenance kit this morning so I will focus my attention on it for now and get it working properly and see what happens.
    Keep us updated Chad.

I'm interested to find out what the deal is.

Hope it's something cheap and simple...

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
    Keep us updated Chad.

I'm interested to find out what the deal is.

Hope it's something cheap and simple...

Did the service this morning. But still have an issue. With the breakers off it cranks up and runs for about 4-5 seconds and turns off. If I crank it back up, it will crank and run but it’s in run only mode.
    Also, I can’t count it’s not a 14 code, it’s 3.13 code. From what I’m reading it’s only a couple things that could cause this. One being bad breakers but if the breakers are off, how could it tell they are bad?
    Could also be the control board or maybe rotor and stator. Hate to throw parts at it. Might just be time to get someone to look at it.
    2018 Momentum 397TH
    2021 Ford F350 DRW

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good diagnosing so far!

About the breakers, in my previous toy hauler, the Onan installed factory breakers on the generator went wonky after a few years. Yours isn't that old - do you know how much your generator has been used - meaning how many hours are on it?

The "wonky" was that the breakers would trip too early - like with just one A/C running. I replaced them with new breakers and that solved the problem. I realize that replacing the breakers is kind of "throwing parts at it" .. but at least they're not all that expensive and relatively easy to replace.

When you do fix it, PLEASE let us know what you found out, ok? TIA!
    signature

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update — took it in to a local Rv repair facility with a certified Onan mechanic. It is worse case scenario, it needs a rotor and stator.
    2018 Momentum 397TH
    2021 Ford F350 DRW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12