Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hitches

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    It probably was using the word "sway" was misinterpreted by some. Going down the road under normal conditions I get no sway. Had porpoising but that was addressed early on and that is when I bought the scale. Although, NY has some roads where I think a tank would porpoise.

I can handle the gusts and truck suck, it is not a major thing. You learn just to take it and adjust as needed. I also keep it at around 62 mph or less and that helps.

I just get into "tow" mode when I have the TT hooked up. Wide turns, break sooner than normal, make lane changes slower than usual, etc.

But if I could reduce the "suck and blow" sway then the Wife may drive.
    I am not sure what your current hitch is but I have been using a Blue Ox sway pro and it has done a really good job controlling sway with my slightly longer trailer. However 3 of the last 4 trips last year we had higher then normal winds which mad a very uncomfortable and possibly dangerous drive. The Blue Ox still did its job, one push to the side on the rear of the trailer, then back in line. Not true sway with the back and forth, I have had this with a 37' trailer that was just too much for the Blue Ox.

After this I went to a Pro Pride, we only had one more trip last fall with good weather so not a good test yet but I will say the truck push was noticeably better so I am very optimistic. I even stopped watching the mirror so close for trucks about half way through the trip.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It probably was using the word "sway" was misinterpreted by some. Going down the road under normal conditions I get no sway. Had porpoising but that was addressed early on and that is when I bought the scale. Although, NY has some roads where I think a tank would porpoise.

I can handle the gusts and truck suck, it is not a major thing. You learn just to take it and adjust as needed. I also keep it at around 62 mph or less and that helps.

I just get into "tow" mode when I have the TT hooked up. Wide turns, break sooner than normal, make lane changes slower than usual, etc.

But if I could reduce the "suck and blow" sway then the Wife may drive.
    In a post above you were concerned about “safety” but it appears you are fine towing then
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    In a post above you were concerned about “safety” but it appears you are fine towing then
    I am fine with it if there can be nothing done about it, but if I can make it a smoother ride, that would be nice. The Wife on the other hand hates it.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am fine with it if there can be nothing done about it, but if I can make it a smoother ride, that would be nice. The Wife on the other hand hates it.
    If you load properly AND have a ProPride, the truck suck and blow is much easier to handle. I don't even bother watching for big rigs anymore. They're a non-issue.

With a standard hitch, you feel the need to counter both left and right as the big right bow wave advances on your trailer. With the Propride, you really only ever feel like you're being pushed in one direction. Said another way, with most hitches, as you're being passed by a big rig, you feel PUSH-PULL. With the PP, you only feel the PUSH.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have zero issues with semi’s.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you feel the need to adjust your load every trip then you have too much trailer for your truck. You shouldn't have to worry about where to put a bag of ice or a couple lawn chairs.
    Been towing TT's for 6 years and a 5er for 6 years. Never adjusted anything before a trip. Load and go.

If you're over 7,000 lbs loaded @30' then IMO you're in 3/4 ton territory. Just because you see others towing heavier with the same truck doesn't mean they're happy. Hard to get people to be honest about situations. The guy may say it does okay. But a month later he may be towing with a 3/4 ton truck.

A PP/HA won't help you stop any faster. It will help with push pull but that's it. $3500 is a lot to pay to solve a natural occurrence. You're TT will still move, you just won't feel it.

I would add that some of your push pull issues are from the 3500# axles and springs along with the skinny 205/15D tires. Not a lot of beef there. Also generally RK trailers have higher OEM tongue weights to counter the extra weight added to the rear.
    GD's builds their TT's with the lowest possible TW from the factory. Makes it hard to achieve a good balance.

The axles are located towards the rear of the TT but again most all the weight is added behind the axles. Even reaching a 12%+ TW part of the issue is could be from the weaker suspensions and tires. They could be flexing more than if they were on under a lighter TT.

You've never mentioned what your tongue weighs or what the TT weighs loaded.

Unfortunately it would cost more to upgrade that than a PP/HA hitch.
    Last edited by goducks14; 01-30-2023 at 03:47 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    No hitch can completely eliminate truck suck, ProPride included. However, it does a much better job in these conditions than most other hitches. You don't get that "tail wagging the dog" you get with a hitch that has the pivot point at the hitch ball. The ProPride makes it feel more like you're driving a box truck than towing a trailer. It behaves like a 5th wheel going down the road. It's the only way to get the towing manners of a 5th wheel in a TT.

Proper loading is important to a good experience, but the ProPride will give you a much greater margin for error than any other hitch out there. Let's face it. There's no way to load the same way every time with these trailers. Water weight moves around. You might have a different load for long vs short trips or warm vs cold camping. With the ProPride, as long as you have most of the weight forward, you're good to go.

They're expensive, but after owning one, and towing with other hitches before owning mine, I think it's worth it.
    ^ Fully agree with this.
    James and Dawn
    2019 F150 SCREW 3.5EB 6.5' - Haloview MC7109; Cooper AT3 LTX; Sumo Springs; ProPride WDH

2021 Imagine 2400BH - GY Endurance 225/75-15; MORryde CRE3000, HD shackles and wet bolts, X-factor crossmembers

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    If you feel the need to adjust your load every trip then you have too much trailer for your truck. You shouldn't have to worry about where to put a bag of ice or a couple lawn chairs.
    Been towing TT's for 6 years and a 5er for 6 years. Never adjusted anything before a trip. Load and go.

If you're over 7,000 lbs loaded @30' then IMO you're in 3/4 ton territory. Just because you see others towing heavier with the same truck doesn't mean they're happy. Hard to get people to be honest about situations. The guy may say it does okay. But a month later he may be towing with a 3/4 ton truck.

A PP/HA won't help you stop any faster. It will help with push pull but that's it. $3500 is a lot to pay to solve a natural occurrence. You're TT will still move, you just won't feel it.

I would add that some of your push pull issues are from the 3500# axles and springs along with the skinny 205/15D tires. Not a lot of beef there. Also generally RK trailers have higher OEM tongue weights to counter the extra weight added to the rear.
    GD's builds their TT's with the lowest possible TW from the factory. Makes it hard to achieve a good balance.

The axles are located towards the rear of the TT but again most all the weight is added behind the axles. Even reaching a 12%+ TW part of the issue is could be from the weaker suspensions and tires. They could be flexing more than if they were on under a lighter TT.

You've never mentioned what your tongue weighs or what the TT weighs loaded.

Unfortunately it would cost more to upgrade that than a PP/HA hitch.
    Since 2022 was our first year with the trailer it was all learning for me. Did I adjust every trip? I sure did at the beginning because we were constantly adding/moving/removing items from the TT.

I do weight the tongue and move things because that is the way I am. I have a TPMS but still check tire pressures constantly.

Tongue weight I prefer over 700 lbs. Trailer was heavier at the beginning of the season because we had extra things. But never has been over 7000 lbs. We travel very light. No water in tanks, food only for the trip and possibly dinner.

An F250 is in the future but we are trying to figure out what the next RV is going to be because I may have to go bigger.

To be honest, I have seen what people are towing their rigs with and it surprises me. I know I am no where close to going over what my truck can handle. Would a 3/4 ton do better? Yup. 1 ton? Yup.

This may just be me over compensating for an issue that most would say is not an issue. That is just how I am.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since 2022 was our first year with the trailer it was all learning for me. Did I adjust every trip? I sure did at the beginning because we were constantly adding/moving/removing items from the TT.

I do weight the tongue and move things because that is the way I am. I have a TPMS but still check tire pressures constantly.

Tongue weight I prefer over 700 lbs. Trailer was heavier at the beginning of the season because we had extra things. But never has been over 7000 lbs. We travel very light. No water in tanks, food only for the trip and possibly dinner.

An F250 is in the future but we are trying to figure out what the next RV is going to be because I may have to go bigger.

To be honest, I have seen what people are towing their rigs with and it surprises me. I know I am no where close to going over what my truck can handle. Would a 3/4 ton do better? Yup. 1 ton? Yup.

This may just be me over compensating for an issue that most would say is not an issue. That is just how I am.
    Have you ever weighed it on a cat scale?
    The weight from the factory is likely over 6300 lbs ( info in your packet). Then with the dealer installed items I doubt you are under 7000 but anything is possible
    When you say you prefer your TW over 700 imo is one of your issues. Imo your trailer should be closer to 900 or more to optimize towing
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Have you ever weighed it on a cat scale?
    The weight from the factory is likely over 6300 lbs ( info in your packet). Then with the dealer installed items I doubt you are under 7000 but anything is possible
    When you say you prefer your TW over 700 imo is one of your issues. Imo your trailer should be closer to 900 or more to optimize towing
    Everything I read is tongue weight is 10 to 15 percent of vehicle weight. I just went with those numbers. The RV was weighed by a local place that does trucks. It was under 7000 lbs. We are minimalists. We try to go as light as we possible can. Replaced or beefy chairs with very light weight ones. Two of all of the dinner wear, etc.

I will look more into the weights though. One place says one thing, another says something else.

I do realize some issue I am having will be lessened with a larger truck.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast