User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcurrie100 View Post
    I have started this several times, let me see if I can finish this.

First, thanks to those that responded and let me see if I have this right.

1) Do not tow in the snow unless you have to. Understood, but part of my question is how is the dually with 4WD in the snow on its own. We may be someplace where we have parked the fiver and are just using the dually to travel around to either run errands or just see the sights.
    Duallies suck in the snow, whether towing or not. If you must, it's expensive, put good, aggressive, all terrain tires on; then go buy at least 2 sets of chains. You will likely spend around $400.00 a tire. The problem is finding those kinds of tires with the load range a dually can support. Another problem is you will be replacing tires in 30-40 thousand miles, at best, most likely ever 25k miles.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Duallies suck in the snow, whether towing or not. If you must, it's expensive, put good, aggressive, all terrain tires on; then go buy at least 2 sets of chains. You will likely spend around $400.00 a tire. The problem is finding those kinds of tires with the load range a dually can support. Another problem is you will be replacing tires in 30-40 thousand miles, at best, most likely ever 25k miles.
    We run many f350 and f450 flatbeds for concrete work and get along fine in the snow No chains no winter tires
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    We run many f350 and f450 flatbeds for concrete work and get along fine in the snow No chains no winter tires
    I would agree, it's all about taking your time and gaining the experience.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, Brian! It sounds like you are working things out one step at a time. I like that.

SRW vs DRW really depends on what you need. A dually will have a greater weight capacity than a single, so let the weight of your prospective trailer drive that decision.

4wd vs 2wd also depends on your needs and wants. We found that when we were shopping for our truck over the past couple of months that 4wd diesels were much more common than 2wd diesels or any sort of gasser. Of course, we bought used, so if you are buying new you can spec it exactly as you want.

If you do plan on driving the truck in snow the 4WD is nice to have. You might also want to take it down one of the 4WD roads in Big Bend, for example. (That's on my list of things to do.) No, you don't take the trailer.

How much solar and generator power you need is up to you. Our previous home (Foretravel MH) had no solar. Our new Reflection has a solar panel. We opted for the Lithium batteries over the agm batteries. We've done no boondocking in the 10 years we've been full-timing, but we're looking forward to trying it. That will probably require at least a couple more batteries and solar panels if we really want to get into that. I think we'd be fine for a day or two as we are if weather is not too hot or too cold.

Keep asking questions. When we were at your stage it seemed that the answer to any one question raised three or four more questions.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    We agree about how lame a dually is in the snow. We buy Firestone Transforce AT tires and get 90,000 to 110,000 miles out of a set. Last set was around $1,300.00
    Always check tire pressure before a trip and rotate them every 7,500 miles religiously.
    Denny & Lorna
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2610ML
    2011 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins Long Bed DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will never again tow without a dually and a 4X4. They are so much more stable on the road and can carry so much more weight. Yes, they are not good in snow or on ice, 4X4 or not. We have been RVing over 25 years. It is a wonderous lifestyle. We have made life-long friends and seen some great parts of this country. In fact, RVing is the only way we could have had this much fun. It is work, it cost money but we love it. Make life-long memories and enjoy.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcurrie100 View Post
    I have started this several times, let me see if I can finish this.

First, thanks to those that responded and let me see if I have this right.

1) Do not tow in the snow unless you have to. Understood, but part of my question is how is the dually with 4WD in the snow on its own. We may be someplace where we have parked the fiver and are just using the dually to travel around to either run errands or just see the sights.

2) Thanks particularly to @Second Chance for the extra detail about the wind conditions. And I had not thought about the tighter curves, but that makes sense. I do understand about the added stability and the payload, and as much as I rather not do it, that is the route I will most likely take.

3) The ability to sleep in your own bed and worry less about how long we are gone are two of the prime reasons we have been planning to go this route. And while we only have two dogs and can find many places that accept two dogs, many have requirements that the dogs cannot get up on furniture or the bed with you. Sorry, my dogs always sleep with us. My question about how much money one would spend on a TV and RV had more to do with how can one not help but think of all the vacations they can take with that same money? Not really a comparison vs. my mind goes to that would finance a lot of nice vacations. But I get it.

4) Thanks for the thoughts and detail about how long a rig can be uninhabited in the winter. Guess I just have to become an expert on winterizing it quickly.

5) The generator info has helped me determine that we have no reason to get that until we see how much boondocking we will do.

Thanks, again to all.
    My $0.02 on the TW. In prep for a 5'er, I replaced my 2500 with a 3500 DRW. Towing my 38' 16k 5'er is a dream compared to the 10-11k bumper pull we previously had. HClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2012 Cardinal 3550RL.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	44828ave had the DRW as my daily driver for 20 months now in Portland, OR and yes I have to remember what I am driving but has not been a problem.
    2021 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW Air-ride
    B&W 25k Companion puck system
    2012 Forest River Cardinal 3550RL
    39 months to retirement, WE WILL GET THERE!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12