User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the reply to my support ticket, not buying the capacity limitations. I thought we were deprioritized when using portability. I wonder what would happen if you change the service address to the campground you're staying in, then change it back when you return. I would imagine they would bump you to the bottom of the list.

2/23/23
    Thank you for reaching out. Due to capacity limitations, Portability for Residential service is no longer supported. Should you have a need to use Starlink outside of your service address, you may change your service address through your account, or change your service plan to RV. We thank you for your continued support as we launch more satellites and increase capacity.
    This issue has been closed. If you still need help with this issue, you can reopen it. If you have a different issue, please submit a new request.
    2003 Ford F250 6.0 CC 4wd SB
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    1999 Keystone Sprinter 27FWBHGL (SOLD)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsm180 View Post
    Here is the reply to my support ticket, not buying the capacity limitations. I thought we were deprioritized when using portability. I wonder what would happen if you change the service address to the campground you're staying in, then change it back when you return. I would imagine they would bump you to the bottom of the list.

2/23/23
    Thank you for reaching out. Due to capacity limitations, Portability for Residential service is no longer supported. Should you have a need to use Starlink outside of your service address, you may change your service address through your account, or change your service plan to RV. We thank you for your continued support as we launch more satellites and increase capacity.
    This issue has been closed. If you still need help with this issue, you can reopen it. If you have a different issue, please submit a new request.
    I'm not buying the "capacity limitations" either. Portability is deprioritized just like RV service so no difference on impact to the system. I'm guessing they figured that people now using portability will just go ahead and pay the $150 for RV service all year anyway. They probably saw too many people doing exactly what we intended to do. Get lower cost residential service for the summer and use portability for winter travels. I realize that it only amounts to about $180/year more for the six months in summer, but we were on the margin in going to Starlink anyway. This is becoming too much pin weight for the payload rating on the wallet. I guess I need a high output diesel dually wallet.

I am very curious to learn about the success of frequent changes to one's service address.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changing service address is not an option if this is correct. This is from the FAQ's on how to change service address

"By changing your Service Address, you may not be able to return to your original address. Once updated, service at your previous address will be disconnected. Service is only guaranteed at the Service Address on your order. If you move Starlink outside of its assigned area, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve Starlink and you may not receive internet or may receive degraded service."
    2016 Reflection 27RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This really blows. I was thinking of dropping Dish and Comcast and going with Starlink and a streaming service. Thought I could save a few $. Now it's so close that it's not worth the effort. I'd need the RV service plus a good $85 streaming service like Fubo to get most of what I need.
    I liked the idea of having internet in places where we have none with our phones.
    Right now I just don't trust Musk to play fair.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you already had residential with portability, they're leaving it be:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image000001.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	45013
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    If you already had residential with portability, they're leaving it be:
    Hello left hand, this is right hand.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230224-073224_Brave.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	45014
    2016 Reflection 27RL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like one message is for new customers and ones for existing customers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Looks like one message is for new customers and ones for existing customers.
    I have had the service since July and now have no option to activate portability. I would bet that if you have portability switched on now, and turn it off, you won't be able to turn it back on.
    2016 Reflection 27RL

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsm180 View Post
    I have had the service since July and now have no option to activate portability. I would bet that if you have portability switched on now, and turn it off, you won't be able to turn it back on.
    Correct. It is not available at all to new residential customers nor to existing residential customers who did not have it activated. If you have residential and also have portability activated, you are ok for now. If you remain a residential customer but suspend your portability, you cannot reactivate it. I had subsequent dialogue in email.

Starlink definitely has some less than up and up going on... The new availability map has revised my home cell to be dark blue and limited capacity. Understand you could not get a residential setup till you had a light blue cell. My cell and surrounding cells were light blue until sometime in the past 4 weeks! About 3 weeks ago, Dishy changed its pointing pretty dramatically from where it had pointed since day 1 of my residential service. I speculate they are moving the birds to density the mesh in overcapacitated areas at the expense of those of us the system was intended for in remote areas without other options for high speed internet because interlaced DSL over 70 year old copper ain't it!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    I might be doing something wrong with our wi-fi system. I've never done anything to set it up. I think we are just seeing the campground signal instead of using our RV system.
    Has anyone tried the Travlfi (I think that's what it's called). Think I saw it in RV Life. Looks like you can either buy a hot-spot or a router, picks up all wi-fi signals so no SIM card is necessary nor a contract. I have not tried it, just read about it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast