User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    But when you lift by the axle, you now have all of the weight on three springs. Likely close to half the trailer axle weight on one of them.

Lippert and Dexter both recommend against jacking by the axle and using blocks or a ramp to raise the bad wheel. I do both if needed, but have the blocks and jack to lift it by the frame when I can.
    I think your logic is flawed, when you jack up under the U-bolts, you are supporting the weight of that axle, and the other three axles are supporting their normal weight. So you don't have all the weight on three springs. The only difference is the weight that would be on the tire, is now supported by the jack. Now it would be a different matter if the jack were removed, with no jack stand in place.

IMO Grand Design and all others that I know of recommend against jacking on the axle as a CYA, in case someone jacks in the middle and tries to blame the companies, but saying "They said it was okay to jack on the axles". And using a ramp to lift one tire off the ground, like the Andersen lift ramp, does indeed concentrate all the weight on three axles since one is completely unsupported.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    But when you lift by the axle, you now have all of the weight on three springs. Likely close to half the trailer axle weight on one of them.

Lippert and Dexter both recommend against jacking by the axle and using blocks or a ramp to raise the bad wheel. I do both if needed, but have the blocks and jack to lift it by the frame when I can.

If you mean the axle I lift is then transferred to the other 3 locations (spring assemblies), then I don't think that's the case. The jack itself is supporting that tire/spring assembly weight and the other 3 are still the same...essentially. I'm sorry, but if you meant something else, I can't quite follow.
    Brent & Gina
    2018 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I think your logic is flawed, when you jack up under the U-bolts, you are supporting the weight of that axle, and the other three axles are supporting their normal weight. So you don't have all the weight on three springs. The only difference is the weight that would be on the tire, is now supported by the jack. Now it would be a different matter if the jack were removed, with no jack stand in place.

IMO Grand Design and all others that I know of recommend against jacking on the axle as a CYA, in case someone jacks in the middle and tries to blame the companies, but saying "They said it was okay to jack on the axles". And using a ramp to lift one tire off the ground, like the Andersen lift ramp, does indeed concentrate all the weight on three axles since one is completely unsupported.
    Yep, page 2 and Hoopy essentially says same. No blame, no fouls here. I appreciate all thoughts. The trippy thing if you look under the trailer, each spring assembly, on the end of each axle, is supported by about 6-8" of the longest spring where it attaches to the frame. The other 3 of 4 springs are anti-bounce nested springs which adds strength in the middle I suspect. So the weight of the entire trailer is supported on 8 somewhat thin pieces of spring...and it's bouncing down the road! If I were an engineer, I'd never have done that, but I guess they know what they're doing. Look under your RV at the springs. I wonder if it's the arc of the spring or the flexing of all of them that allow those 8 small pieces to not snap. Thoughts on that?
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leaf springs, which is what you're referring to, have been around almost forever. Way back to early horse and buggy days even. Coil springs are a relatively new arrival on the scene compared to leaf springs.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent M View Post
    Wish I had hydraulic...well, anything. It will be on the next 5W.
    Just a note that lifting a side goes for electric jacks as well. Both electric or hydraulic offer the same abilities.
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2021 RAM 3500 SRW CC Short Box HO Cummins Rear Air Suspension

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, page 2 and Hoopy essentially says same. No blame, no fouls here. I appreciate all thoughts. The trippy thing if you look under the trailer, each spring assembly, on the end of each axle, is supported by about 6-8" of the longest spring where it attaches to the frame. The other 3 of 4 springs are anti-bounce nested springs which adds strength in the middle I suspect. So the weight of the entire trailer is supported on 8 somewhat thin pieces of spring...and it's bouncing down the road! If I were an engineer, I'd never have done that, but I guess they know what they're doing. Look under your RV at the springs. I wonder if it's the arc of the spring or the flexing of all of them that allow those 8 small pieces to not snap. Thoughts on that?
    It has to ride ride on something that flexes, and the multiple pieces allow the spring rate to vary with load. It’s a very refined and simple solution to allow the suspension to absorb shocks from the road while still carrying the weight of the body.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, I will put a jack under the axle to lift the wheel if there's a spring perch there.
    If there's not, I think you'd risk denting the axle tube by jacking between the u-bolts.

Or are we talking about the spring being attached under axle?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130413_140346q.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	45524

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230307_121727a.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	45525
    signature

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    For me, I will put a jack under the axle to lift the wheel if there's a spring perch there.
    If there's not, I think you'd risk denting the axle tube by jacking between the u-bolts.

Or are we talking about the spring being attached under axle?

I ended up jacking between the u-bolts with the jack that's in the picture, a bottle jack with saddle. There's not perch on mine and I've not noticed any damage in my times doing/inspecting--maybe 10 times jacking. Some experience info there for all.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bottle Jack with Saddle.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	45533
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roegs01 View Post
    Just a note that lifting a side goes for electric jacks as well. Both electric or hydraulic offer the same abilities.
    I have the 2015 303. It has electric landing gear, but the back is one integrated electric scissor jack. It's only purpose is to stabilize. It doesn't have the power to lift the trailer like hydraulic rear legs.
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up jacking between the u-bolts with the jack that's in the picture, a bottle jack with saddle. There's not perch on mine and I've not noticed any damage in my times doing/inspecting--maybe 10 times jacking. Some experience info there for all.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bottle Jack with Saddle.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	45533
    Winner-winner-chicken dinner. This is what & how I use it...with some help from the hydraulics.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast