User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    While discussing our move from The Ranch (SE NM) to Graham Cave SP (70 miles west of St. Louis) with some of the guys, I was asked how far it was and how long was I going to take. The distance is about 1000 miles, and I said that we would need five travel days for that. One of the more experienced travelers almost laughed at me. He said he would need only two travel days for that distance. Then he asked how fast I travel. I said I set the cruise for about 60. Again, he laughed. He normally drives about 70 with is Airstream.

He's a few years older than me, and has far more miles under his belt than I do, but I still think he goes too fast and too far in one day. What do the rest of you full-timers do? Am I too slow?
    David, if 60 mph is your comfort zone you drive it, just try not to speed up when being overtaken by rigs running at 65. Let that "experienced traveler" laugh.
    I'd bet the "experienced traveler" actual travel time will be close to yours and you'll have a couple of hundred dollars still in your wallet because you will not be stopping for fuel as often.
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    While discussing our move from The Ranch (SE NM) to Graham Cave SP (70 miles west of St. Louis) with some of the guys, I was asked how far it was and how long was I going to take. The distance is about 1000 miles, and I said that we would need five travel days for that. One of the more experienced travelers almost laughed at me. He said he would need only two travel days for that distance. Then he asked how fast I travel. I said I set the cruise for about 60. Again, he laughed. He normally drives about 70 with is Airstream.

He's a few years older than me, and has far more miles under his belt than I do, but I still think he goes too fast and too far in one day. What do the rest of you full-timers do? Am I too slow?
    I'm not a full timer---just a weekend warrior who camps and pulls in the summer. I've been pulling huge and heavy loads for nearly 40 years. We live in CO where the speed limits are higher than other parts of the Country but I am not typically in the right lane when towing unless I have to wait for the right time to pass. My normal towing speeds when the roads and traffic allows are 75-85 MPH. I think each person has to just pull at the speeds where they are comfortable. There isn't a set speed for each person. I have learned to pull at speeds others are not comfortable with even on the winding roads and mountain passes but you have to understand the truck, it's capabilities, your camper, others around you, and the roads for sure.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend go the speed you feel comfortable with providing you are not creating any road hazards. Too slow can be a bad thing too, but 60mph is reasonable. As for the fast end, make sure you are within the speed ratings of your tires. For distance in a day, again, whatever is comfortable for you as long as you don't end up driving while you're drowsy. I wouldn't worry what others do, you figure out what works best for you.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just adding to what others have said. Pull at what feels good to you. I rarely go faster than 65, and then it's usually because I wasn't paying attention to the speedometer. My wife usually is though . While I have pulled for over 6 hours before, I try not to. Last year was the longest single day trip in years, to Wellesley Is State Park, on the St. Larwance. It was a little over 6 hours, with one stop for fuel, lunch, and the rest room. I planned exactly where we were getting gas and lunch and it worked out perfectly. Much longer than that is not in the cards. Also, I have to drive - my wife will not pull the rig.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    70-75 mph if towing the RV or gooseneck trailer with equipment on it. If towing the 16' utility trailer or the 24'
    Alumna trailer with two RZR's on it I might hit 80-85 on the deserted roads in west TX and NM.

It's 660 miles to our place in CO (from TX). Driving it at 60 would take 11 hours. Driving it at 66mph (vs 65 for easy figuring) would take 10 hours of non-stop driving. Driving it at 70 is 9 hrs 25 minutes, driving it at 75 mph is 8 hrs 48

So driving 75 instead of 60 is saving 2 hrs 12.

By the time we stop for fuel, and pee stops for us and the dogs that adds another hour or more.

Now your trip at 60 mph is taking 12-13 hours which means we leave in the dark and arrive in the dark (unless the middle of summer). Then we had to set up the RV in the dark. NO Thanks

Once my GF retires and we start taking trips to other places we can slow down if we want. On deserted highways I see no issues with going fast. Once the traffic gets heavier slow down

Make sure your tires are rated for your towing speed and of course stay under the speed limit
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not a full timer, but we camp 80+ days a year atleast, and work from the road as often as we can. Our rig is 44feet and I’m pulling with my F450. I have plenty of truck to run 80, but I do not. I-95 is garbage and so my speed varies but is all about my comfort. I find driving to be zen time for me while my crew sleeps or works from the truck, so I am comfortable doing 600-800 miles a day. Comfort is the biggest factor for me on speed. Sure I would like to get to my destination in FL faster, see my kids, etc… however, I don’t want the stress of worrying about a situation that speed was the factor that caused an error or hurt someone .
    when I’m pulling my 40 foot horse trailer I do go a little faster, it’s long but nearly as tall as my momentum 381. I am more comfortable going a little faster but does not mean I always do, the road quality and traffic again play a role here.

lastly… I had to go from NC to flagstaff AZ last may to help my son move his wife and life back from Camp Pendleton to OH. They need a car taken and “stuff”. I pulled my 24foot ATC car hauler there and back in 5 days solo because I had a time constraint. So I ran about 75mph the whole way, burned a ton of diesel doing it, but never felt unsafe or worried. In the mountains I slowed down, and when it stormed of course.

bottom line, I pull a lot, have tons and tons of miles doing it, but have very different ways and speeds depending on the situation. As stated by others it is all about how you feel. I get passed plenty on the road and it’s so much less stressful for me to not worry about speed traps or can I save 5 min going just a little faster.

just sharing my journey and practices. Pulling at 60 if you are comfortable, keep doing it so you remain happy and safe and don’t create stress you don’t need .

happy pulling to all the the people on the forum!!!

I’m prepping for my Orlando pull in 5 days from now

best
    jason
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being retired and having as much time as needed for travel, I set RV Trip Wizard to calculate 5 hours driving time at 65 MPH and use that as my target for a day’s travel. It is a comfortable length of time on the road for me and a comfortable speed to tow the RV. Years ago I would go a lot further in a day but that was with time constraints because of being on vacation or weekend travels meaning we had to get back in time for work. You have to do what is comfortable for you, not what someone else is comfortable with.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1000 miles for me would be 3 days. 330 miles is easily doable in a day. I go whatever speed allows. Being on the west coast that speed is not 70-80 like elsewhere. If I leave at 9:00 am and drive for 6-7 hours then that puts me around the 350 mile range. That averages out to 50 mph with stops. It also depends on where I'm driving. In the mtns the speeds are slower. On the Interstate they're faster. I'll run around 65-68 on the interstate depending on conditions.
    5 days to do 1000 miles would be a waste of time IMO. That means you're only driving 200 miles in a day. That's like 4 hours. What would you do the rest of the time?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "What would you do the rest of the time?"

Relax and enjoy yourself?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    "What would you do the rest of the time?"

Relax and enjoy yourself?
    Guess I don't need to relax that bad.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast