User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which converter for my new Lithium battery

I am going to install my new Weize 100ah battery as soon as I get a Lithium compatible converter. There are mainly 3 options that I am looking at. I am going to list them in order of my current preference.
    1. Powermax PM3 55LK. I like the fact that I can use it for pretty much any chemistry by moving a switch and adjusting the voltage output. The downside is that it will require a little more effort on my part, but not much. Of my 3 choices it's by far the least expensive. When I look up "best RV charger converters" it's always on the list, and usually toward the top, if not the top.

2. WFCO WF-9855-LIS. I like this for some of the same reasons as the Powermax. It's switchable between Lead chemistry and lithium. Just easier to do with this one. Either jumper across the Wago terminals, or install a remote switch. This unit is about $100.00 more than the Powermax.

Having said that both of the above can be switched between Lead acid and Lithium, I don't plan on going back to LA. It would be for emergencies.

3. Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV. Plug and play, but Lithium only. Not really a drawback, as I could leave the old Converter in place. Its drawback is the price. Of all the converter\chargers I have looked at, this the most expensive by $40.00, and for nothing added to make it worth that much more.

Anyway - all input welcome. I want to get this done - very soon. The battery arrived yesterday and I'm going out shortly to start getting ready to make the changeover.
    Last edited by SGT ROC; 03-26-2023 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    I am going to install my new Weize 100ah battery as soon as I get a Lithium compatible converter. There are mainly 3 options that I am looking at. I am going to list them in order of my current preference.
    1. Powermax PM3 55LK. I like the fact that I can use it for pretty much any chemistry by moving a switch and adjusting the voltage output. The downside is that it will require a little more effort on my part, but not much. Of my 3 choices it's by far the least expensive. When I look up "best RV charger converters" it's always on the list, and usually toward the top, if not the top.

2. WFCO WF-9855-LIS. I like this for some of the same reasons as the Powermax. It's switchable between Lead chemistry and lithium. Just easier to do with this one. Either jumper across the Wago terminals, or install a remote switch. This unit is about $100.00 more than the Powermax.

Having said that both of the above can be switched between Lead acid and Lithium, I don't plan on going back to LA. It would be for emergencies.

3. Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV. Plug and play, but Lithium only. Not really a drawback, as I could leave the old Converter in place. Its drawback is the price. Of all the converter\chargers I have looked at, this the most expensive by $40.00, and for nothing added to make it worth that much more.

Anyway - all input welcome. I want to get this done - very soon. The battery arrived yesterday and I'm going out shortly to start getting ready to make the changeover.
    Based on your analysis, it seems like the Powermax is the way to go. Personally, I have no experience with the Powermax but I like the idea that it has a switch. I have the WFCO WF-9855-AD which I have not been able to get to work reliably so far. The WFCO WF-9855-LIS has a switch, that's the model I would have gotten if it had been available when I purchased mine. The auto-detect (AD) feature is a good concept that hasn't worked out in practice.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Based on your analysis, it seems like the Powermax is the way to go. Personally, I have no experience with the Powermax but I like the idea that it has a switch. I have the WFCO WF-9855-AD which I have not been able to get to work reliably so far. The WFCO WF-9855-LIS has a switch, that's the model I would have gotten if it had been available when I purchased mine. The auto-detect (AD) feature is a good concept that hasn't worked out in practice.
    I think I agree on the Powermax over the WFCO 9855 LIS, but the LIS is a simpler method, especially when you can mount a switch pretty much wherever you want. I just don't think that simplicity is worth the $100.00 more. Also, I keep telling myself that I will never need to switch it back....
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spent a lot of time researching converter/chargers before finally going with the Progressive Dynamics PD9160AL. It sounds like you have done your research as well. I very much like the flexibility of the Power Max because the 14.6 volts that the Progressive Dynamics puts out is the max for most lithiums. Having the ability to set the Power Max at 14.4v seemed like a good option. I ultimately went with the Progressive Dynamics for the following reasons:

1) I very much like the large heat sink they use. Heat dissipation is a big factor.
    2) The PD has dual positive and negative connectors. I plan to change the wiring up a little by running battery to converter/charger instead of running it directly to the DC panel. Second set of connectors will connect to panel.
    3) After carefully reviewing the Power Max instructions, I believe that you will lose the float or idle mode of charging. It appears that when you switch it to manual mode for lithium, the charger simply operates at the set voltage. Since I typically have full power available when camping, I don’t think the constant 14.6v is ideal for the lithium battery.

In the end I wanted something that is lithium only. There seems to be a lot of issues with the auto detect chargers, especially when operating with other charging sources such as solar or DC-DC chargers.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomani View Post
    l
    3) After carefully reviewing the Power Max instructions, I believe that you will lose the float or idle mode of charging. It appears that when you switch it to manual mode for lithium, the charger simply operates at the set voltage. Since I typically have full power available when camping, I don’t think the constant 14.6v is ideal for the lithium battery.

In the end I wanted something that is lithium only. There seems to be a lot of issues with the auto detect chargers, especially when operating with other charging sources such as solar or DC-DC chargers.
    I don't know a lot about Lithium charging, only what I have researched on this forum, and looking up different converter\charger options. I thought that LiFePo4 didn't actually need a float charge. Are you saying that this could damage or lesson the life of the battery? Also, as far as Auto detect, I agree. They have a ways to go before I would get one.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with the PD9160ALV since we had Lithiums from day one. I have experienced one glitch with it (not entirely its fault). With the factory solar and a Jaboni charge controller that was putting out a voltage close to 14.7, we ran into a situation that the PD9160ALV became 'confused' by seeing the solar as the primary charge source and it would not go into bulk charge for 11 days, even though SOC was as low as 25% and we were connected to shore power or running the genset. We couldn't get SOC higher than 80% and charge rate would only reach float looking at the BMV-712 history which also suggested when and why this event started. Combination bright sun day one, then not much day 2-4, temporary power loss at a campground, two nights dry camping with furnace running.

To correct that problem, I spent about 40 minutes on the phone with PD tech support and ran every DC draw I could with all power sources disconnected to get the batteries down to 12.7 volts. That did the trick and we were able to get to bulk again as soon as I plugged in shore.

Jaboni sent me a replacement charger which puts out about .2v lower than the original. Near as I can figure, we had a really sunny day with the panel placed just right and the charger put out enough to confuse the PD Charge Wizard, but just shy of the BMS shutting charging down.

I was told by PD tech support (though I haven't confirmed yet since my rig has been in the shop for maintenance since Jan) that the 9160ALV newer versions will support the optional pendant to control the charge wizard. If that's true, I'll be purchasing that since I'll be able to cycle it between bulk and float with a button press if needed. And of course the pendant is an extra cost item.

This is from the revised document sent to me by Progressive:
    "Like any computerized device, data in affects the data out. Influences from outside the
    converter may cause the CW to operate in an unexpected mode.

A large battery bank, a high current demand from the RV or additional charging sources such as
    an alternator or solar will influence the operation of the CW.

If the battery bank isn’t full after 8 hours of charging, the CW won’t know this. Your bank may
    be too big for your charger or some of the charging current is taken up by the RV and
    is not allowing enough current to fully charge the bank.

Voltage from the alternator or your solar controller will also influence the CW and appear to
    indicate a fully charged bank. When you supply AC power to the converter, the CW will stay in
    idle mode."

Nothing is perfect but I like the idea of manually being able to bump the charging mode. Despite the hiccup, we were never short of battery power and were happy with performance last year. But I'm hoping my charger is pendant ready.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know a lot about Lithium charging, only what I have researched on this forum, and looking up different converter\charger options. I thought that LiFePo4 didn't actually need a float charge. Are you saying that this could damage or lesson the life of the battery? Also, as far as Auto detect, I agree. They have a ways to go before I would get one.
    There are a couple of different schools of thought when it comes to LiFePo4 charging. Yes, they can take the full charge - at 14.6 volts, the battery will be at 100% SOC. If you use the battery (camping without shore power) you will want your charger to bring the battery back to full charge as quickly as possible - the primary function of the converter/charger will be to charge the battery.

Since most of us actually rely on battery power infrequently - generally camp while connected to shore power, the primary purpose of the converter/charger is to convert AC to DC to power all of the DC circuits. Once the battery reaches 100% SOC, there is no need to continue to providing 14.6 volts - all of the DC components are perfectly happy with 13 - 13.5 volts. By dropping the charge voltage down to 13.6v (the float or idle voltage on the Progressive Dynamics Charger), the battery gets to rest (stops charging) while the converter/battery combination continues to power the RV.

Again, there are different schools of thought on this. The PD just seems to be the best solutions for my needs.
    Last edited by Jomani; 03-26-2023 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Clarification of battery “resting”
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    YouTube Chanel

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a couple of different schools of thought when it comes to LiFePo4 charging. Yes, they can take the full charge - at 14.6 volts, the battery will be at 100% SOC. If you use the battery (camping without shore power) you will want your charger to bring the battery back to full charge as quickly as possible - the primary function of the converter/charger will be to charge the battery.

Since most of us actually rely on battery power infrequently - generally camp while connected to shore power, the primary purpose of the converter/charger is to convert AC to DC to power all of the DC circuits. Once the battery reaches 100% SOC, there is no need to continue to providing 14.6 volts - all of the DC components are perfectly happy with 13 - 13.5 volts. By dropping the charge voltage down to 13.6v (the float or idle voltage on the Progressive Dynamics Charger), the battery gets to rest while the converter continues to power the RV.

Again, there are different schools of thought on this. The PD just seems to be the best solutions for my needs.
    Ok, I think that makes sense
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    I went with the PD9160ALV since we had Lithiums from day one. I have experienced one glitch with it (not entirely its fault). With the factory solar and a Jaboni charge controller that was putting out a voltage close to 14.7, we ran into a situation that the PD9160ALV became 'confused' by seeing the solar as the primary charge source and it would not go into bulk charge for 11 days, even though SOC was as low as 25% and we were connected to shore power or running the genset. We couldn't get SOC higher than 80% and charge rate would only reach float looking at the BMV-712 history which also suggested when and why this event started. Combination bright sun day one, then not much day 2-4, temporary power loss at a campground, two nights dry camping with furnace running.

To correct that problem, I spent about 40 minutes on the phone with PD tech support and ran every DC draw I could with all power sources disconnected to get the batteries down to 12.7 volts. That did the trick and we were able to get to bulk again as soon as I plugged in shore.

Jaboni sent me a replacement charger which puts out about .2v lower than the original. Near as I can figure, we had a really sunny day with the panel placed just right and the charger put out enough to confuse the PD Charge Wizard, but just shy of the BMS shutting charging down.

I was told by PD tech support (though I haven't confirmed yet since my rig has been in the shop for maintenance since Jan) that the 9160ALV newer versions will support the optional pendant to control the charge wizard. If that's true, I'll be purchasing that since I'll be able to cycle it between bulk and float with a button press if needed. And of course the pendant is an extra cost item.

This is from the revised document sent to me by Progressive:
    "Like any computerized device, data in affects the data out. Influences from outside the
    converter may cause the CW to operate in an unexpected mode.

A large battery bank, a high current demand from the RV or additional charging sources such as
    an alternator or solar will influence the operation of the CW.

If the battery bank isn’t full after 8 hours of charging, the CW won’t know this. Your bank may
    be too big for your charger or some of the charging current is taken up by the RV and
    is not allowing enough current to fully charge the bank.

Voltage from the alternator or your solar controller will also influence the CW and appear to
    indicate a fully charged bank. When you supply AC power to the converter, the CW will stay in
    idle mode."

Nothing is perfect but I like the idea of manually being able to bump the charging mode. Despite the hiccup, we were never short of battery power and were happy with performance last year. But I'm hoping my charger is pendant ready.
    This is an interesting phenomenon that has plagued this converter. Doesn’t seem to be a problem for everyone.

I ordered the pendant for mine. Less than $14 and easy to install since I will be in there anyway.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HS0PAI...v_ov_lig_dp_it

The interesting thing is that this pendant is designed to be used on the PD9200 series converters. Since my 303 came stock with a PD9260C converter, I could use this to force it into bulk charging mode and fully charge my LiFePo4.
    Last edited by Jomani; 03-26-2023 at 06:46 PM.
    YouTube Chanel

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an interesting phenomenon that has plagued this converter. Doesn’t seem to be a problem for everyone.

I ordered the pendant for mine. Less than $14 and easy to install since I will be in there anyway.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HS0PAI...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Agreed - was an interesting set of circumstances. If the snow melts this week, I'll pick up my RV and one of the first things I'll check is whether the PD has the port on the side - early ones apparently did not.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast