User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jomani View Post
    I spent a lot of time researching converter/chargers before finally going with the Progressive Dynamics PD9160AL. It sounds like you have done your research as well. I very much like the flexibility of the Power Max because the 14.6 volts that the Progressive Dynamics puts out is the max for most lithiums. Having the ability to set the Power Max at 14.4v seemed like a good option. I ultimately went with the Progressive Dynamics for the following reasons:

1) I very much like the large heat sink they use. Heat dissipation is a big factor.
    2) The PD has dual positive and negative connectors. I plan to change the wiring up a little by running battery to converter/charger instead of running it directly to the DC panel. Second set of connectors will connect to panel.
    3) After carefully reviewing the Power Max instructions, I believe that you will lose the float or idle mode of charging. It appears that when you switch it to manual mode for lithium, the charger simply operates at the set voltage. Since I typically have full power available when camping, I don’t think the constant 14.6v is ideal for the lithium battery.

In the end I wanted something that is lithium only. There seems to be a lot of issues with the auto detect chargers, especially when operating with other charging sources such as solar or DC-DC chargers.
    Well, I found a Powermax PM3 Lithium Plus Series Converter. It is switchable from fixed, 2 stage (Lithium), and 3 stage (SLA, Flooded etc). Still a good price - better than the others anyway, and seems more in line with what I want. The two stage is bulk at 14.6 with a float\idle at 13.6. It's on Donrowe.com for $159.00 - free shipping
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    Well, I found a Powermax PM3 Lithium Plus Series Converter. It is switchable from fixed, 2 stage (Lithium), and 3 stage (SLA, Flooded etc). Still a good price - better than the others anyway, and seems more in line with what I want. The two stage is bulk at 14.6 with a float\idle at 13.6. It's on Donrowe.com for $159.00 - free shipping
    Sounds like a good deal.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good deal.
    Glad you pointed out the downfall of the other one, Thank you!
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an interesting phenomenon that has plagued this converter. Doesn’t seem to be a problem for everyone.

I ordered the pendant for mine. Less than $14 and easy to install since I will be in there anyway.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HS0PAI...v_ov_lig_dp_it

The interesting thing is that this pendant is designed to be used on the PD9200 series converters. Since my 303 came stock with a PD9260C converter, I could use this to force it into bulk charging mode and fully charge my LiFePo4.
    i had a similar exepierience whe i had my jaboni solar controller, it read the batteries higher than it really was,and kept going into float, when the batteries were down over 50%. i threw the jaboni in the trash and got victron. it works perfectly
    Last edited by huntindog; 03-27-2023 at 02:11 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    i had a similar exepierience whe i had my jaboni solar controller, it read the batteries higher than it really was,and kepy going into float, when the batteries were down over 50%. i threw the jaboni in the trash and got victron. it works perfectly
    My replacement Jaboni was tweaked before it was sent - so far no issues. Maxes out about 14.5-14.6V instead of 14.6-14.7 of the original.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    I went with the PD9160ALV since we had Lithiums from day one. I have experienced one glitch with it (not entirely its fault). With the factory solar and a Jaboni charge controller that was putting out a voltage close to 14.7, we ran into a situation that the PD9160ALV became 'confused' by seeing the solar as the primary charge source and it would not go into bulk charge for 11 days, even though SOC was as low as 25% and we were connected to shore power or running the genset. We couldn't get SOC higher than 80% and charge rate would only reach float looking at the BMV-712 history which also suggested when and why this event started. Combination bright sun day one, then not much day 2-4, temporary power loss at a campground, two nights dry camping with furnace running.

To correct that problem, I spent about 40 minutes on the phone with PD tech support and ran every DC draw I could with all power sources disconnected to get the batteries down to 12.7 volts. That did the trick and we were able to get to bulk again as soon as I plugged in shore.

Jaboni sent me a replacement charger which puts out about .2v lower than the original. Near as I can figure, we had a really sunny day with the panel placed just right and the charger put out enough to confuse the PD Charge Wizard, but just shy of the BMS shutting charging down.

I was told by PD tech support (though I haven't confirmed yet since my rig has been in the shop for maintenance since Jan) that the 9160ALV newer versions will support the optional pendant to control the charge wizard. If that's true, I'll be purchasing that since I'll be able to cycle it between bulk and float with a button press if needed. And of course the pendant is an extra cost item.

This is from the revised document sent to me by Progressive:
    "Like any computerized device, data in affects the data out. Influences from outside the
    converter may cause the CW to operate in an unexpected mode.

A large battery bank, a high current demand from the RV or additional charging sources such as
    an alternator or solar will influence the operation of the CW.

If the battery bank isn’t full after 8 hours of charging, the CW won’t know this. Your bank may
    be too big for your charger or some of the charging current is taken up by the RV and
    is not allowing enough current to fully charge the bank.

Voltage from the alternator or your solar controller will also influence the CW and appear to
    indicate a fully charged bank. When you supply AC power to the converter, the CW will stay in
    idle mode."

Nothing is perfect but I like the idea of manually being able to bump the charging mode. Despite the hiccup, we were never short of battery power and were happy with performance last year. But I'm hoping my charger is pendant ready.
    Great post. I had a question......if you had a way to disable your solar charging like a circuit breaker or etc....and disabled the solar---would that have enabled the bulk mode charging I wonder?
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    Great post. I had a question......if you had a way to disable your solar charging like a circuit breaker or etc....and disabled the solar---would that have enabled the bulk mode charging I wonder?
    While on with Tech support, I pulled the fuse on the solar (which did go direct to the batteries now goes through the BlueSea) but that didn't let the PD go to bulk mode. Confirmed that with the BMV. Didn't switch back to bulk until the battery voltage went below 12.8V. Had both fans and furnace running to get the voltage down.

I'm going to do some re-cabling and add a disconnect switch to solar and another for the battery heaters. I think I want to independently control both. My current disconnect switch cut's everything.
    Last edited by ajg617; 03-27-2023 at 02:10 PM.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    My replacement Jaboni was tweaked before it was sent - so far no issues. Maxes out about 14.5-14.6V instead of 14.6-14.7 of the original.
    i spent a lot of time on the phone with jaboni trouble shooting it. the tech finally said it must be defective. the terms of the warranty stated that i had to take the rv into a grand design dealer so they could diagnosis it. that would have taken 6 months minimum, and i doubt that they are capable of it. i told jaboni that those terms basically meant the warranty was usless. i was not going to go thru all of that for a part that retailed at 192.00
    i just chalked up to a bad experience and moved on

Last edited by huntindog; 03-27-2023 at 02:04 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    i spent a lot of time on the phone with jaboni trouble shooting it. the tech finally said it must be defective. the terms of the warranty stated that i had to take the rv into a grand design dealer so they could diagnosis it.

Interesting - I was on the road and they sent one to my home with pre-paid return for the old one. Tech said he personally bench tested the new one to insure it didn't 'over charge'. Guess it all depends on who answers the phone.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, after much consideration, and input on this forum, I purchased a Powermax PM3-55LKL, Lithium series converter. Thanks to @Jomani pointing out some flaws in my thinking on the other Powermax converter I found this series that matches most closely with what I wanted. One thing I liked about the WF9855-LIS was that you had the ability to switch, literally, between charging profiles. I still like the ability to put that switch anywhere you wish in your rig. The Powermax PM3-55LKL also has that ability, plus a fixed output mode, but much easier to do. The selector switch has Fixed output (adjustable between 13 V and 16.5V), 2 Stage (for lithium) which is set at 13.6 (float) and 14.6 (bulk), and 3 Stage (for Lead acid). In fixed output you still dial in the voltage. On the original PM-55LK you had 3 Stage and Fixed output adjustable between 13 V and 16.5V. There are also LED lights to indicate which mode you are in - Green for Lead, Blue for Lithium, and Yellow for Fixed. It was $159.00 on Donrowe.com. Now all it has to do is work...
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast