User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shackle failure

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Shackle failure

My wife and I bought a 2018 Reflection 303RLS, used and the second owners, and enjoy the trailer except for one problem. Twice now, I have had the rear leaf spring shackle break at the top where it is welded to the frame. First, last April 22, it broke on the drivers side and took me awhile to find a repair shop. Cost me $1000 by the time I got it patched up and then to a trailer repair shop. Drove it 8000 miles across the US and had no other problems. We just took a 4 hour trip down to Yuma AZ to get out of the weather for a few days and prior to us leaving I checked all of the hangars and they seemed fine. On our last day in Yuma my wife asked if I have checked the hangars prior to hooking up the trailer. I pulled over just before getting on the freeway to come home. I was shocked to see that the passenger side rear hangar had completely broken off. When I first encountered this last April I talked to grand design and they directed me to Lippert who basically said they had never seen this before. My trailer is now stuck in Yuma AZ waiting on repairs. I am furious as this is supposed to be one of the top of the line trailer manufacturer and I cannot imagine what could have happened if the rear axle had failed completely on my way home. It could have been catastrophic and who knows what damage or loss of life this could have caused. I fully believe that the hangar system on this model is completely under engineered which causes me anxiety on using the trailer and what about selling it down the road. I know I can have the shackles beefed up but why is this my responsibility. Please, if anyone has any advice as to how to move forward and how to hold the manufacturers accountable it would be very welcomed. After reviewing the posts regarding this issue it leads me to believe that a class action lawsuit might be in order.

Thanks,
    Merlin

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shackle failure

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    My wife and I bought a 2018 Reflection 303RLS, used and the second owners, and enjoy the trailer except for one problem. Twice now, I have had the rear leaf spring shackle break at the top where it is welded to the frame. First, last April 22, it broke on the drivers side and took me awhile to find a repair shop. Cost me $1000 by the time I got it patched up and then to a trailer repair shop. Drove it 8000 miles across the US and had no other problems. We just took a 4 hour trip down to Yuma AZ to get out of the weather for a few days and prior to us leaving I checked all of the hangars and they seemed fine. On our last day in Yuma my wife asked if I have checked the hangars prior to hooking up the trailer. I pulled over just before getting on the freeway to come home. I was shocked to see that the passenger side rear hangar had completely broken off. When I first encountered this last April I talked to grand design and they directed me to Lippert who basically said they had never seen this before. My trailer is now stuck in Yuma AZ waiting on repairs. I am furious as this is supposed to be one of the top of the line trailer manufacturer and I cannot imagine what could have happened if the rear axle had failed completely on my way home. It could have been catastrophic and who knows what damage or loss of life this could have caused. I fully believe that the hangar system on this model is completely under engineered which causes me anxiety on using the trailer and what about selling it down the road. I know I can have the shackles beefed up but why is this my responsibility. Please, if anyone has any advice as to how to move forward and how to hold the manufacturers accountable it would be very welcomed. After reviewing the posts regarding this issue it leads me to believe that a class action lawsuit might be in order.

Thanks,
    Merlin
    Since you are a second owner you will have zero standing with Grand Design
    Contact Lippert and see what they say
    And again I see this said all the time that people think Grand Design is a top trailer manufacturer. They simply are not. Not even close
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks,
    Merlin
    I had the same issue with my 2018 303. Right rear shackle broke as I was backing it into my driveway after a 12,000 mile cross country trip. Found a local trailer shop that fixed it and reinforced all the others for $375. Lippert reimbursed me for it. No issues since that.
    Matt & Dana , Kasey the Australian Cattle Dog
    2018 303rls
    2012 Ram 2500 6.7 diesel

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    moderator edit.... removed post as it referred to a post previously deleted....

Just trying to keep things tidy.....
    Last edited by traveldawg; 04-02-2023 at 04:39 PM. Reason: cleanup
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks,
    Merlin
    Please know, I am in no way defending GD; it's really unfortunate to that owners have to deal with these situations. Unfortunately, this is common in the industry and another manufacturer in the same price point doesn't change anything. That doesn't excuse GD, I say it more as a "don't beat yourself up" and think you could have done better elsewhere.

Should it be your responsibility to beef up the shackles? Nope. Could you attempt to sue GD and hold them accountable? Perhaps, but that won't be easy, cheap, nor quick.

It comes down to how much you enjoy RVing. Are you willing to deal with these situations and make things right on your own? I would beef up the suspension and focus on enjoying my RV.

Being out of warranty has turned into a blessing to me. No more waiting months for the RV to come back from a dealer's service center. I have a local collision repair center that works on RVs. Automotive industry quality work and my RV returned to service when they tell me it will be ready. Not always cheap, but always fixed right. Allows me to stop worrying and enjoy my RV.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Merlin, sorry for your experience and frustration. Been there, done that, have the scars from rebuilding and beefing up my suspension and nearly two dozen others now. First, sorry, but Lippert was deceiving you. They are well aware of the failures as it's industry-wide on their frames. Second, sounds like the original owner never took advantage of having the hangers reinforced for reimbursement. So, it's up to you to have the hanger replaced and you should have all reinforced. Hopefully, the original $1K spent was due to an emergency repair/weekend premium as it's outrageous otherwise. While I do my own welding, a good friend is a mobile welder here in PA and routinely rescues RVers through the season on the PA Turnpike with broken suspensions. You'd have to have him a full 8 hours to charge that! There are some good shops in AZ, but no doubt they're busy!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Merlin

About all you can do is call Lippert and open a ticket, see if they will reimburse you. Being a 2018 they might. If they wont, Then find a good RV suspension repair shop and have the V-Clip like hanger reinforcements welded in.

Kind of makes me wonder, if Lippert says they never heard of it before, why are the hanger reinforcement V-Clips for sale on their web site?
    I believe the new GD RVs are coming with the hanger V-Clips already installed? I thought they were but I could be wrong. If so that tells you somebody saw something happening and added the Vs.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-28-2023 at 04:08 PM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn't a GD problem per say, it's Lippert problem. Although GD tells Lippert what to build and that could be part of the problem along with the common poor welding and undersized materials used by Lippert.
    Back then I don't think Lippert was putting any support angle pieces above each spring hanger. Other brands have been doing that for years. It just costs more so most don't do it.
    IMO I think I would have the next guy doing the repair to check the rest of the spring hangers and have him add angle supports to each.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To all who have responded I am very grateful. It has really opened my eyes and helped my understand that I am no alone in this. I am starting a conversation with Lippert regarding their " FIXES" and what they will do for me. In the meantime I am contacting several trailer repair facilities to see if they can reinforce this issue. I literally have PTSD from this issue and don't want to tow my trailer anymore. It's such a shame as the trailer is very comfortable and easy to tow.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use the search up on the right under the header and type in broken hanger you will see this is not a new issue, in fact it's common for them to break. . It sounds like yours falling off was much like our failure. The rust showed how the weld was faulty and never good from the start. Lippert stood up and sent one of their mobile mechanics and fixed it on site for us a few years back and also added the V clips to the hanger. Our thread about it should show up someplace in the search.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast