User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dry camping power options

Hi there,

New here -- just bought a new 2022 Imagine 2400BH that we're picking up this weekend.

Our previous trailer was a little 15 foot Starcraft hybrid, and we often went 3 or 4 nights without hookups. The fridge could run on propane when we weren't plugged in, and the stock 12V lead acid battery had no problem running the LED interior lights and water pump for that long.

Wondering what we can expect with the new rig, since I think the fridge runs on 12V with no propane option. How long can we expect to get away without charging?

If we can't get 3 - 4 days disconnected, what are the best options?
    1. Bigger / additional battery?
    2. Charge from tow vehicle inverter? How many hours/day?
    3. Small portable generator?

Solar is probably not a good option for us because many of our favorite spots are forested with minimal sun exposure.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dry camping power options

What is your current battery?

Without sun for your solar I don’t think you will last long unless you get some expensive batteries
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At roughly 8 amps just for the fridge per hour a stock fla battery will only last 6ish hours before you kill it and do irreparable harm to it
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Staying disconnected for more than 1 day or 2 I suggest a small generator (or 2). If you need/use AC then bout 2400 to 3000 watts assuming you want to run any appliance (coffee pot, hairdryer, etc.) when using the A/C.

A 2200 watt small generator would probably get you by - probably. But 2 in parallel would definitely work better and you could just use one to top the battery(s) off and run appliances.

That 12v refrigerator is going to want a more power than you'd want to supply with batteries for more than a day - maybe 2 at the most.

There are lots of smaller 2000-2200 watt inverter generators that can be paralleled. I'm suggesting 2 small generators as they are more portable, lightweight and it gives you the option of using just one when necessary. I've carried 2 Honda 2000 watt generators for a lot of years and still rely on them from time to time.

You'll probably get advice to go with Lithium batteries (I have one more for weight considerations; and they are nice), but for what you'd spend one 200 ah battery you could probably but a small generator - and maintain a lot of flexibility.

Welcome to the forum. Get ready for lots of advice here. We love to spend others money.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Staying disconnected for more than 1 day or 2 I suggest a small generator (or 2). If you need/use AC then bout 2400 to 3000 watts assuming you want to run any appliance (coffee pot, hairdryer, etc.) when using the A/C.

A 2200 watt small generator would probably get you by - probably. But 2 in parallel would definitely work better and you could just use one to top the battery(s) off and run appliances.

That 12v refrigerator is going to want a more power than you'd want to supply with batteries for more than a day - maybe 2 at the most.

There are lots of smaller 2000-2200 watt inverter generators that can be paralleled. I'm suggesting 2 small generators as they are more portable, lightweight and it gives you the option of using just one when necessary. I've carried 2 Honda 2000 watt generators for a lot of years and still rely on them from time to time.

You'll probably get advice to go with Lithium batteries (I have one more for weight considerations; and they are nice), but for what you'd spend one 200 ah battery you could probably but a small generator - and maintain a lot of flexibility.

Welcome to the forum. Get ready for lots of advice here. We love to spend others money.
    The only issue with a generator is how long would you have to run it to charge the battery?
    I would think quite a long time
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    The only issue with a generator is how long would you have to run it to charge the battery?
    I would think quite a long time

with la batteries, it will take long time, but is a good first viable step.the little hondas sip fuel, i did that for many years, and still bring 1 or 2 along.
    the only possible downside is if he has to abide by generator hours
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJim View Post

Yes to all of the above.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

New here -- just bought a new 2022 Imagine 2400BH that we're picking up this weekend.

Our previous trailer was a little 15 foot Starcraft hybrid, and we often went 3 or 4 nights without hookups. The fridge could run on propane when we weren't plugged in, and the stock 12V lead acid battery had no problem running the LED interior lights and water pump for that long.

Wondering what we can expect with the new rig, since I think the fridge runs on 12V with no propane option. How long can we expect to get away without charging?

Solar is probably not a good option for us because many of our favorite spots are forested with minimal sun exposure.
    First off, welcome to the forum @TahoeJim, hope you will have a great time in the Imagine, quite an upgrade from your hybrid. The 12-volt frigs work well (at least mine has) but they do require more power than your stock lead-acid battery can supply for very long. A small generator is probably going to be in your future as well as more battery capacity.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have to assume that your rig comes stock with a 165w solar panel since it has the 12v fridge. The stock lead acid battery is virtually worthless and should be replaced no matter what other avenues you may decide to take. Depending on how careful you are with opening/closing the fridge, you can keep the power consumption fairly low, but not lead acid battery low.

As far as using the tow vehicle as a charger, that works great while you are traveling but not a great option for longer stays. It could get you buy in an emergency, but not as a final solution.

I would start with a combination of LiFePo4 and inverter generator. LiFePo4 because you can pump a lot of power into it in a short period of time. Add a separate lithium compatible charger and upgrade the stock converter to lithium compatible and you could easily get by running the generator a couple hours per day.

I am in the process of adding a 60 amp DC-DC charger and upgrading my stock converter. Already have a 200 ah lithium and inverter generator. Our situation is a little different as we would be more likely to spend a single night then travel for the better part of the next day. My hope is to fully charge the battery while traveling. Haven’t had the opportunity to test that theory yet.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think LiFePo4 batteries are the way to go if you're boon docking. 200ah of lithium will give you roughly the equivalent 4 of those lead acid batteries you have on the tongue. Check to see if your converter is already a lithium compatible model and get a 2000w generator.

If you're in shade and not much sunlight gets in, you may want to try a portable 200w panel set up that you can move as needed to not run the generator as much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast