Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2800BH Glass Door under the TV

Hello All,
    Has anyone done a mod the glass door under the TV so it does not fall open while traveling? So far I've had it fall open twice while towing. I'm worried that it is going to break as it hits the pantry door handles. I'm thinking of connecting a small chain to the door and to the wall so it stops at 90 degrees.
    2021 Grand Design 2800BH
    2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7 10k Towing
    Salt Lake City Utah Area.

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had the same issue, with the glass falling and damaging the decor panel on the refidge. GD replaced the magnets and is replacing the decor panel, but their replacement magnets are still too weak and didn't help.

I found these on Amazon:

Super Strong Neodymium Disc Magnets with Double-Sided Adhesive, Powerful Permanent Rare Earth Magnets. Fridge, DIY, Building, Scientific, Craft, and Office Magnets, 1.26 inch D x 1/8 inch H - 6 Packs

We have 1 magnet attached to the metal plate that's on the glass. It is more than strong enough to hold the glass in place. You can use the included tapes, but the magnet is more than strong enough to stay in place. Just be really careful handling these magnets. They can pinch you if get a finger between two of them. Also they are brittle, so they can break if dropped.

Another use I found was to mark the corners of the steel backing plate for the TV mount in the bedroom of our 2600RB. Makes it easy to center and install the bracket.
    Last edited by more tired since retired; 02-25-2021 at 03:49 PM.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Bush View Post
    Hello All,
    Has anyone done a mod the glass door under the TV so it does not fall open while traveling? So far I've had it fall open twice while towing. I'm worried that it is going to break as it hits the pantry door handles. I'm thinking of connecting a small chain to the door and to the wall so it stops at 90 degrees.
    Mount a rotating tab that swivels and locks over the glass to prevent it from opening. That's what we have.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you attach the magnet?
    2021 Grand Design 2800BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    Mount a rotating tab that swivels and locks over the glass to prevent it from opening. That's what we have.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    That might work too. I'm my case my kids take an xbox with them and it ends up behind the class cover. It needs to stay open when this thing is on.
    2021 Grand Design 2800BH

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Bush View Post
    How did you attach the magnet?
    The Super Strong Neodymium (rare earth) Disc Magnet is actually strong enough to attach to the metal plate on the glass. It won't fall off. We've used it for about 600 miles over some really rough back roads and the glass stays in place. However, you need to make sure both of the magnetic pins GD uses are in the same position. If you press one, it will extend out while the other stays in and the glass isn't really closed. I found the best way to use this set up is both of the pins in the closed (back) position, then close the glass. The Neodymium magnet will lock onto those and the glass stays put.

To open, just press on the glass like you normally would, the pins extend and you can then pull the glass/rare earth magnet away like normal. You could use the included 3M disks to lock the Neodymium magnet to the metal plate on the glass, but be warned, that is pretty much permanent.

I'll try to post a couple of photos of our setup in the next day or two.
    Last edited by more tired since retired; 03-22-2021 at 05:36 PM.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you get close and look and see if there is a pivoting latch that prevents the door from opening in transit? My 2250RK has a latch...it is very tiny and inconspicuous but it is there...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4818.jpg   IMG_4819.jpg  
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We took the door off completely. We use a thumb drive for music and the door couldn't close and we hated it being open most of the time.
    Do not miss the door at all.
    But it never opened by itself.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ours was opening by itself so I run a wide bungee cord over the front of it and that seems to keep it in place. I’m really thinking of just removing it though.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Double cab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had same problem, only our magnets were not lined up with pins. Screwed on a two dollar oven knob from the hardware store that works like a charm!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast