Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side to side leveling

When I picked up my 397 the tech at the dealer said to make sure you are within a half a bubble on a level side to side. I know about the errors you can get if you extend the levelers to far. He said to carry a 2x12x8 and 2x8x6 for 3 inches lift. If that doesnt cut it move sites.

I thought I have carry around that much wood? I assume the plastic squares are not strong enough for the weight. What does everybody use for preliminary side to side before auto leveling?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anderson or Beech Lane levelers, wood, and the better lego-ish blocks will be the most common answers you will receive. There's endless debate about whether or not lifting tires off the ground on one side is ok for a short time.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Anderson but I have a much lighter tt then yours. If you go that route best with the Beach Lanes.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The beach do look heavy duty. Is anybody using them on a triple axle? I only ask because they talk about sawing them off. The triples are pretty close together.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the Andersen’s on our 303. I also have two sets of the lego-style, from Walmart (20 total). I usually put them under the landing leg and levelers, but have also used them, in a pinch, under the tires. I have a couple of short 2x12 pieces that I can put under them if on rocks or gravel that might not give them full and even support.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 4 or 5 sets of the plastics, just don’t know if they will hold this much weight. On the levelers I built 6 pads out of pressure treated 2x4s. Cut 9 pieces in 12 inch lengths, alternate them 3 high and added a handle. They are super strong and aren’t real heavy. I got the design off the internet. So I have the levelers covered. My triples with 17.5s are 6 feet long. So I would have to carry a 2x8 6 ft and a 2x12 maybe 7ft. That’s probably how I will start because the wood is cheap enough. If I figure something out I can always dump them. If I go the beaches I have to buy 2 sets at almost 200.00 and I’m not 100% sure that’s the way I want to go. Just starting out there is so much to buy, I’m looking for savings anywhere I can. Fortunately I have made the bigger purchases ( furrion camera system, watchdog ems, tst Tpms, washer/dryer, B&W companion hitch), I haven’t even started on what I need to secure the tri-glide in the garage.
    Last edited by 210craig; 03-07-2021 at 06:57 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 210craig View Post
    I have 4 or 5 sets of the plastics, just don’t know if they will hold this much weight. On the levelers I built 6 pads out of pressure treated 2x4s. Cut 9 pieces in 12 inch lengths, alternate them 3 high and added a handle. They are super strong and aren’t real heavy. I got the design of the internet. So I have the levelers covered. My triples with 17.5s are 6 feet long. So I would have to carry a 2x8 6 ft and a 2x12 maybe 7ft. That’s probably how I will start because the wood is cheap enough. If I figure something out I can always dump them. If I go the beaches I have to buy 2 sets at almost 200.00 and I’m not 100% sure that’s the way I want to go. Just starting out there is so much to buy, I’m looking for savings anywhere I can. Fortunately I have made the bigger purchases ( furrion camera system, watchdog ems, tst Tms, washer/dryer, B&W companion hitch), I haven’t even started on what I need to secure the tri-glide in the garage.
    One way to help, follow the first rule of parking at a site - don't park till you've found the most level position possible. Since you're handy enough to build the pads for the levelers, I bet you can think of a way to link them together when you need them to run up on... It's very possible to do. Other options include recovery boards which may have multiple purposes for you, dunnage pads, sheet of marine grade plywood cut to planks that can stow flat, etc.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put some plastic blocks under the front since I have to lift it higher than normal to clear the Andersen Ultimate Hitch and let the leveling system handle the rest. I have only used plastic blocks on other jacks if the site is so unlevel the auto level can't handle it. I am in the camp of not worrying if the leveling system picks up the wheels while leveling.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKilmer View Post
    I put some plastic blocks under the front since I have to lift it higher than normal to clear the Andersen Ultimate Hitch and let the leveling system handle the rest. I have only used plastic blocks on other jacks if the site is so unlevel the auto level can't handle it. I am in the camp of not worrying if the leveling system picks up the wheels while leveling.

I notice in your signature line (by the way how do you do that?) that you have Roadmaster Comfort Ride. You installed these and left the Cre300? You installed them yourself? I have a 2021 397 with the same basic setup.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 210craig View Post
    I notice in your signature line (by the way how do you do that?) that you have Roadmaster Comfort Ride. You installed these and left the Cre300? You installed them yourself? I have a 2021 397 with the same basic setup.
    Hi 210craig,
    To add a signature block you can select Settings on the top right of the forum page and then on the left side there will be a link to Edit Signature.

I installed both the Roadmaster Comfort Ride and the CRE3000 myself as an upgrade. In 2019 the 381s were shipped with the Lippert equa-flex suspension, no CRE3000 at that point. I installed the CRE3000 first, did a test drive, and then installed the Roadmaster shocks. I didn't notice a difference with the CRE3000, but I did notice a significant improvement in the ride with the Roadmaster shocks. I had to do the install myself because the local dealers were concerned about the warranty. The installation was pretty straightforward. The only difficult part was drilling into the frame for the bracket screws. I needed to buy multiple carbon steel drill bits to go through the frame, even titanium ones weren't good enough to get through the frame. Thankfully Home Depot had them in stock. I used the leveling system to lift the entire RV and then just used jack stands as a safety precaution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast