User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Water Chemical

Is there a specific product that helps break down the solids and helps keep the Black Tank clean?
    Goaltender
    2017 GMC Sierra Denali Crewcab 3500HD shortbox
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There a quite a few choices available. Fleet Farm, Walmart, Amazon all carry them. Google "black tank chemicals" and you'll find all kinds of options. There are also chemicals to treat the grey tanks..
    Barb and Blair, retired and loving it
    2017 F250 Lariat Super Cab, Short bed, 4x4, diesel, Tow Technology Bundle, Pullrite 16K Autoslide
    2017 Reflection 307MKS, 3/17 Build
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the Walex brand and have been happy with it. Think most of them work pretty good. Best advice is to not skimp on water. Plenty of water and keep your black tank dump valve closed until you are ready to dump and rinse.
    The Capt and the Admiral
    Joe & Marilyn
    2017 Solitude 384 GK-R
    2017 F350 DRW FX4 6.7 PS, B&W Companion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall someone telling me the black water tank is not a septic tank...it takes a month or more to break down solids in septic tanks and it is unlikely you will have solids in the black tank that long...Potty Toddys work great for smell control, very neutral, and do keep the water level up in the tank...exposed solids really will emits the smells....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jfraizz View Post
    I recall someone telling me the black water tank is not a septic tank...it takes a month or more to break down solids in septic tanks and it is unlikely you will have solids in the black tank that long...Potty Toddys work great for smell control, very neutral, and do keep the water level up in the tank...exposed solids really will emits the smells....
    You are correct. It is a holding tank
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Walex Porta-Paks in the tank. The other thing I do is what I call a "Deep Clean". I dump the black tank as normal, then add a VERY large squirt of Dawn into the tank; I mean about 1/2 of a small bottle. I then proceed to fill the black tank to as close to full with the fresh water internal rinse system, leaving the dump valve closed. When I've got it nearly full I'll let it sit for about an hour to work on cleaning the walks inside the tank. I then proceed to dump the tank, and giving it a good internal rinsing when done.

Finally, I'll put about 10 gallons of water into the black tank and drop a Walex "hockey puck" into the tank.

Another thing I do is similar to the "Deep Clean", but I do it just before we get on the road. The movement of the travel will slosh things around real good, letting the Dawn do it's thing, then upon arrival at the next campground IMMEDIATELY dump the black tank.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. We just picked up our 5r and want to make sure we don't miss something simple that will become a headache.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use no chemicals in the black tank and have had zero issues in almost three years of full-timing. As mentioned, I do a "deep flush" at least every other week. This involves draining the black tank (with the rinser running), closing the valve and letting the tank fill up with clean water (I watch the level gauge inside), and opening the valve again. If the last drainage isn't clear, I repeat the process.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We use no chemicals in the black tank and have had zero issues
    Same here. I just do a thorough flushing each time I empty it.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast