User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about your truck makes you biased - Part 2, the saga concludes

Hi all,
    In December, I started a thread looking for advice and opinions on 1 ton DRW's. https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...kes-you-biased
    For a recap - I'm planning on getting a Momentum 376THS in 2022. I want a 1 ton DRW to pull it. The big three are pretty much the same as far as towing, so I was looking to find the best bells and whistles, reliability, comfort, etc.

I spent several months looking and test driving different Chevy, GM, Ram, and Ford trucks. All of the trucks have things I liked and disliked which was frustrating, as I hoped one would jump out at me and be a hands down winner.
    In late January, I had just driven a GMC Sierra 3500 Denali. I really liked the truck, but it wasn't as smooth or quiet as the Ram. I was torn. A few days later we were having dinner with friends who are related to a local GM dealer. My wife told me to tell him what truck I had been looking at. I told him the Denali, and he said to come by and order it. I let him know it was a waste of time, since I had NO intention of buying until next year. He said order what I want and if I don't want it when it comes in, he'll put it on his lot. OooohKaaay. The next day, I ordered a truck that had all the bells and whistles I dreamed of. Someone was going to get one hell of a truck!

A few weeks ago, the wife and I were on a trip with our 2015 half ton and the TT in tow. Shooting down the interstate heading to our camping spot, I made note of how hard the V8 was working. The 1/2 ton wasn't overloaded or anything, I just noticed the RPM's more on this trip. Over that weekend, we talked with friends about doing a Kentucky trip and all I could think about was my 1500 pulling the TT and cycling between 2700 and 4000 RPM's for 10 hours! On the day we headed home, we had wind gusting to 40 MPH. For three hours the camper drove me home. I white knuckled that steering wheel until my hands cramped. Not a fun way to end a perfectly good weekend. After we got the TT put to bed, we went to a few of the car lots thinking maybe we could get a used 3/4 ton to use until retirement and trade for a 1 Ton DRW next year?

Has anyone checked out the used truck market? It's CRAZY out there! After looking at 3/4T, it became obvious to us we were wasting our time trying to find deals on used trucks (there aren't any) and maybe we should muddle along with what we have and keep our eye open for our dream dually? Well, let me tell you, timing is a mysterious thing. Guess who called?

Yes, I got a truck, but I'm telling a story here!

The dealer. My dream truck had arrived. Did I want to come look at it? the dealer asked. YES!
    New and used trucks are hard to get, and demand is driving the price up higher each day. By next year it may be better, but it may be worse as well. Couple that unknown with a bit of white knuckle driving and you have a combination for a high dollar purchase. That, and it's PRETTY!
    A little haggling, some help from dealer and Military discounts, aaaand...

We are now the proud owners of a 2021 GMC 3500 DRW
    GVWR: 14000
    GCWR:40000
    CURB WT:8695
    MAX PAYLOAD:5305

Overkill for the TT we have now, but it will haul the future Momentum with little problem. I'm as excited as a kid at Christmas! It made a wonderful gift to the DW for Mother's day too.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice on the previous thread and letting me strut just a bit on this one.

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021 GMC DRW.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	33999

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! Great choice. Must admit, I'm a bit partial to that truck!

Enjoy it!

Kim

Name:	4E1981C5-3D11-4D05-8C3B-ED082415AF36_1_105_c.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	317.5 KB 
ID:	34006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9B4DD229-E9FE-4BD4-AAE9-BF9F826664F4_1_105_c.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	34007
    Kim & Deb
    2021 Solitude 310 GK-R rec'd 5/3/2021
    Reese 20k goosebox, solar, generator, 3rd a/c, disk brakes.
    2020 GMC 3500HD DRW SLT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ain't you Fancy!

On a more serious note;
    As long as the G7 governments are deficit spending and Quantitative Easing like crazy, we will see inflation like we haven't seen since the 70s...

Remembering my Macro-Economic classes;
    Inflation caused by government spending happens s
    1st in the stock market...
    2nd in the housing (,real estate) markets
    3rd in consumer goods...
    Then finally in wages...

#3 is why buying new isn't a bad idea right now...

In the next year or so we should see new vehicles and washing machines and electronics and such escalating in price noticeably ever quarter...

Enjoy it!

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
    2021 Transcend 261bh
    2021 Ford F-150 3.5eb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim S. View Post
    Congrats! Great choice. Must admit, I'm a bit partial to that truck!

Enjoy it!

Kim

Name:	4E1981C5-3D11-4D05-8C3B-ED082415AF36_1_105_c.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	317.5 KB 
ID:	34006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9B4DD229-E9FE-4BD4-AAE9-BF9F826664F4_1_105_c.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	34007
    I love the patriotic GMC your truck has going!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
    Ain't you Fancy!

On a more serious note;
    As long as the G7 governments are deficit spending and Quantitative Easing like crazy, we will see inflation like we haven't seen since the 70s...

Remembering my Macro-Economic classes;
    Inflation caused by government spending happens s
    1st in the stock market...
    2nd in the housing (,real estate) markets
    3rd in consumer goods...
    Then finally in wages...

#3 is why buying new isn't a bad idea right now...

In the next year or so we should see new vehicles and washing machines and electronics and such escalating in price noticeably ever quarter...

Enjoy it!

Sirtate, Your Macro classes weren't lying! Every time there's a dip in the markets QE jumps in to save the day and sends the market ever higher. Houses are selling in a matter of minutes after hitting the market. Folks are paying huge prices assuming up is the only way price will travel. Government money flowing to low income workers has taken them out of the work force so businesses need to raise wages to get them out of their homes. Thus prices rise for goods. You described the perfect storm for a 1970 recession. All it will take is the fed to decide they need to bump interest rates up a bit and the house of cards comes crashing down. And it's happening NOW! I hope next year when we go shopping for our 376THS things have settled down a bit. We've been saving for it, so super high interest rates shouldn't be an issue. Stay safe!

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauced Hog View Post
    Sirtate, Your Macro classes weren't lying! Every time there's a dip in the markets QE jumps in to save the day and sends the market ever higher. Houses are selling in a matter of minutes after hitting the market. Folks are paying huge prices assuming up is the only way price will travel. Government money flowing to low income workers has taken them out of the work force so businesses need to raise wages to get them out of their homes. Thus prices rise for goods. You described the perfect storm for a 1970 recession. All it will take is the fed to decide they need to bump interest rates up a bit and the house of cards comes crashing down. And it's happening NOW! I hope next year when we go shopping for our 376THS things have settled down a bit. We've been saving for it, so super high interest rates shouldn't be an issue. Stay safe!

Mike
    And the talking heads on TV are saying, " our dollar is strong against the EUR/GBP/CAD/USD/JPY, so inflation isn't a worry"...
    Which is like looking out at another sinking ship from your sinking ship and saying "it's OK, they're sinking faster than we are!"

But gold keeps ticking upwards for some reason...

(My one Prof had a theory he'd espouse; 1Oz of gold has always bought the same amount of 'stuff'; a suit appropriate to visit royalty (for example) and 100Oz's would buy a labourer's house give or take. Try the math, it works today, and at any other given time, it has worked)

Durable non-essential goods like RVs will do well in the near term, but if interest rates move upward the economy will stagnate, and sales will drop.

The government has a vested interest in low interest rates, they have to pay that rate on their (our?) Debt... They can't afford to pay more...

2021 Transcend 261bh
    2021 Ford F-150 3.5eb

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the truck! I hope it performs well for you. It’s nice to have 3 solid options in the HD realm right now.

On the economics side, thanks for the lesson. We had just been commenting on how expensive everything is becoming, and wondering about inflation (but with no background in economics). Basic explanation makes sense and helps my understanding

I’m biased because I’ve owned other brands and hit a point with them where I just wanted my Ford back - rattles, constant minor issues, difficult to work on, etc. With the Ford (and my previous Fords) every time I work it hard it makes me want to find more to do. That’s the sign of a good tool.
    Last edited by Stealth13777; 05-09-2021 at 08:08 PM.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm biased because of the DFE gauge and the ability to use the ForScan software to monitor specific parameters while driving. Oh - and the air conditioning vents for the rear seat occupants.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the new truck! Looks great.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2020 truck with a 2021 376THS it seems to me to be a match made in heaven.. I am not a ford guy ( to each their own) and personally couldn't find a DRW ram to test drive. I am happy with everything. The B&W hitch is also a huge plus with the puck system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast