User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swap out Lead Acid with LiPo

Our 349m should be arriving within 2 or 3 weeks. I have both the gen set and solar panel options checked so I believe I'll be getting the 300w solar panel with Jaboni 30A MPPT controller. According to the manual you can change the battery type to LiPo which is great. However, I'm wondering if I can fit 2 of these batteries in the space the lead battery took up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=pd_gw_unk

I know the panels will take longer to charge but considering this may work well as we will never go longer than 3 or 4 days off grid and have the generator to charge the batteries completely if / when solar doesn't do it over night. Need to run small electronics at night along with CPAP machine.

Thanks guys!
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 349m-r
    - 8k axles, toppers, 3rd ac, Onan, Solar, Outside Entertainment, King Bed, Heat Pump, 3 Season Doors, Dual Pane Windows, Happi-Jac, Rear Al Deck
    2021 Ford F-450 Limited

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Momentums and Solitudes are pretty much the same... our Solitude (factory solar) came set up for two batteries from the factory. This included vented boxes already mounted. I just slipped the two Battle Borns into them and set the MPPT controller for lithium. The other thing I did was switch the converter/charger to a lithium-compatible model so it would take the BBs to full charge.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NDanecker View Post
    Our 349m should be arriving within 2 or 3 weeks. I have both the gen set and solar panel options checked so I believe I'll be getting the 300w solar panel with Jaboni 30A MPPT controller. According to the manual you can change the battery type to LiPo which is great. However, I'm wondering if I can fit 2 of these batteries in the space the lead battery took up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=pd_gw_unk

I know the panels will take longer to charge but considering this may work well as we will never go longer than 3 or 4 days off grid and have the generator to charge the batteries completely if / when solar doesn't do it over night. Need to run small electronics at night along with CPAP machine.

Thanks guys!
    2X on previous comment. The stock converter charge cycle is not designed to work with Lion.

Check your CPAP manual/website on using batteries. You can significantly reduce the draw if you run them off a 12v source and not use the heated tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I think the Momentums and Solitudes are pretty much the same... our Solitude (factory solar) came set up for two batteries from the factory. This included vented boxes already mounted. I just slipped the two Battle Borns into them and set the MPPT controller for lithium. The other thing I did was switch the converter/charger to a lithium-compatible model so it would take the BBs to full charge.

Rob
    I switched the solar charger (MPPT) to lithium. I am guessing there is also a charger (which you speak of above) that charge batteries when connected to utility, gen or truck but cannot find it. Where or how did you switch to Lithium mode?

Thanks
    - 8k axles, toppers, 3rd ac, Onan, Solar, Outside Entertainment, King Bed, Heat Pump, 3 Season Doors, Dual Pane Windows, Happi-Jac, Rear Al Deck
    2021 Ford F-450 Limited

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NDanecker View Post
    I switched the solar charger (MPPT) to lithium. I am guessing there is also a charger (which you speak of above) that charge batteries when connected to utility, gen or truck but cannot find it. Where or how did you switch to Lithium mode?

Thanks
    It's called an converter/charger and provides everything 12VDC to the rig (including charging batteries) when on shore power. Unfortunately, the OEM converter/chargers do no have a mode for lithium. They'll charge your LiFePO4 batteries and won't hurt them, but they won't charge all the way. We replaced our OEM converter/charger with a model designed for lithium. The converter/charger is in the space behind the basement wall - usually close to your power distribution panel.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 06-15-2021 at 08:03 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. We just picked up our 2022 Momentum 351M-R yesterday. It has the factory installed solar package and generator. Finally found how to download app for the Jaboni MPPT programmable charge controller. However, not really sure what all the settings ought to be. When I try to change the battery type, I get a message "Hint" that I need administrator privileges. How do I get admin privileges? I have not found anywhere in the app to change that. The app I have is called SolarApp.

Thanks,

Steve

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click the + and then admin. Password is 135790123. Check with your battery mfg as they will have the recommended settings. Also don't forget to change the battery type from wet/lead acid to LI. I believe this can be done via the app but I did it on the MPPT controller by pressing in the SET button for > 8 seconds, then pressing again until blue light comes on and let it time out.
    2021 Ford F-450 Limited

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much NDanecker . I will try that and see if it works for me.