User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eternabond Tape to cover all roof sealant ?

I just watched a video where a person used eternabond tape to cover all the seams on his Imagine RV roof and cover all the sealant around all the vents and stacks on the roof.The tape covered all the self leveling sealant on the roof.Has anyone else done this and is it recommended .
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Chevrolet 2500 hd,Duramax-Allison

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done some critical areas this way. It is important to also use some lap sealant on the leading edge(s) of the eternabond so water will not penetrate the tape and cause it to lift. I did the front cap seam and the rear roof seam as well as the area around my 2 skylights. Also did the satellite roof access panel. I did not do the 2 roof vent areas (I have vent covers so I will just continue to use lap sealant there). I also have solar panels and use lap sealant on the mounting bolts that hold the superstrut to the roof. I also did not use tape around the ladder or the Winegard 360 antenna or the roof vent penetrations (again I hit those with Alpha self-leveling lap sealant.)

The Eternabond tape acts as an additional barrier to water getting in as long as it is installed correctly and inspected. The lap sealant can crack over time with the elements and sun hitting it. Eternabond will hold up as well as the roofing material (minimum of 10-12 years) but it is still important to check to make sure water does not get in where it sticks to the roof (ie: the suggestion of putting sealant on the edges of the tape).

In the photo below I have not yet added lap sealant to the leading edges of the skylight eternabond ... it is on my to-do list.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6835E56C-005A-4169-AADB-819340C14DC9.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	34380
    Last edited by openrangeowners; 05-26-2021 at 01:41 PM.
    2021 - Grand Design Solitude S-2930RL
    2020 - Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 6.7L CCLB

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used it on my front and rear cap on my my Momentum and did it for my Reflection. I replaced 2 roof vents on the Reflection and used Eternabond to seal it, worked out great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed two MaxxFans and used 6" Eternabond for sealant. Didn't see the need, so far, will monitor it, to add sealant on the edges. I've got SO much Eternabond coverage there I really don't see it being a problem. I do intend to do my front cap later this year. I did seal around the black tank cap when I replaced it for good measure. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0117.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	34387
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinICT View Post
    I installed two MaxxFans and used 6" Eternabond for sealant. Didn't see the need, so far, will monitor it, to add sealant on the edges. I've got SO much Eternabond coverage there I really don't see it being a problem. I do intend to do my front cap later this year. I did seal around the black tank cap when I replaced it for good measure. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0117.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	34387
    I don’t see the need to apply lap sealant on the edge of eternabond
    Eternabond doesn’t lift

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a good video on the topic. I did my first trailer. I will be doing my new Imagine.
    https://youtu.be/5SCWISz52cw
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2600 RB
    TOW vehicle- 2023 Ram 2500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4.10 rear end, tow package with trailer blind spot and air suspension. Max payload- 2869

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I used it on my front and rear cap on my my Momentum and did it for my Reflection. I replaced 2 roof vents on the Reflection and used Eternabond to seal it, worked out great.

Did you remove the existing caulking before applying the tape? What width of tape did you use? I really like the idea of doing this, but I bet it would be "a bear" to remove if you ever had to do work in that area of the roof.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Did you remove the existing caulking before applying the tape? What width of tape did you use? I really like the idea of doing this, but I bet it would be "a bear" to remove if you ever had to do work in that area of the roof.
    I removed most of the lap sealant mainly to get the old roof vent off and the new one to sit flush. I used butyl tape under the flange and 4" Eternabond on the outside. I also was specific how I laid it down. I did a strip along the back, then the 2 sides overlapping the back piece, then the front strip overlapping the sides. I figure if driving in the rain, the water would naturally flow and not be pushed up against a joint. I've read if you use a heat gun it helps to remove the tape. I don't think the odds of needing to remove the new vent are very high, I'm not too worried about it. Another reason I used the Eternabond was the fact there is no cure time. Lap sealant has a 7 day cure time and I was against upcoming rain when I did the install.

Last edited by FT4NOW; 05-27-2021 at 12:55 AM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of resealing the skylight for our bathroom I went over the existing seams with Eternabond tape. I did this 3 years ago and it still looks as good as the day I put it down. I'll probably regret that when I need to replace the skylight, but it has held up extremely well and I plan to do the caps the next time I need to seal some cracks or thin spots.
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From an experienced perspective, do not use it on the factory skylights if you will keep your rig for years to come. You will have to replace them at some point because they embrittle with age and exposure. You will hate the day installing a replacement!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast