User Tag List

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portable PI EMS 50A plugged into 240V

Headline: Progressive Industries portable 50A EMS was plugged into what I would say was a miswired 50A RV plug. When it was plugged in, it read 240V on L1. Now LCD screen is blank after plug wiring was changed again.

Background: My wife was at her cousin's house with the RV and plugged in to their house (30A) using a dog bone and the EMS, no problems.

She took the RV to a different cousin's house today and plugged into their 50A RV plug and the EMS indicated 240V on L1. He just had this plug installed by an electrician, but didnt like the orientation of it so he changed it(not by an electrician). After he changed it is when my wife plugged the EMS in. I'm positive it was miswired. He changed something again and now the LCD on the EMS is blank (insists breaker is shut).

I told my wife to go back to the other cousin's house with the known working 30A power. Hopefully the EMS works there.

Anyone have a similar problem with the EMS after plugging in to a miswired outlet?

Unfortunately, my wife, kids and RV are 700 miles away from me right now so I cant check or help much. I asked her if he checked the outlet with a meter, but it sounds like he didnt. Either way, thank goodness for the EMS and my wife understanding how important it is. If she gets back to the 30A power and it still doesnt work, I'll be calling Progressive Industries.

The EMS manual says it does accidental 240V protection, so it shouldn't be dead.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 05-28-2021 at 06:58 PM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that was quick. Good news, EMS is not dead! Her cousin ended up calling an electrician who fixed the problem, she didnt know what he did, but all is good, EMS is working as it should and the RV has power.

Lesson here, always trust your EMS and leave electrical stuff alone if you dont know what you're doing. No clue how that would have turned out if she didnt use the EMS.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to say this, and may get flamed, but I have seen more licensed electricians botch work, especially RV-related, then not! I do my own and have the Code official look it over.

Kudos to your wife!

If the PI had suffered catastrophic failure, I can speak from experience that their CS is top-shelf and they would have you covered.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I hate to say this, and may get flamed, but I have seen more licensed electricians botch work, especially RV-related, then not! I do my own and have the Code official look it over.

Kudos to your wife!

If the PI had suffered catastrophic failure, I can speak from experience that their CS is top-shelf and they would have you covered.
    I spent 38 years working for a company that sold equipment requiring a 14-50R receptacle. We actually provided the receptacle and HD surface mounted box with instructions for the customer’s electrician. One out of 10 times electricians miss wired the receptacles.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, there are way too many people out there working as "Electricians"....and I use that term loosely....that don't know the difference between a piece of conduit and a condominium. They give all of us a bad name because someone will then say, "Well, I had an Electrician wire that up". That term (Electrician) may be what he calls himself, but that doesn't make him one.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lesson here is, always check a new outlet for proper wiring and polarity. It's not hard to do.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas