User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necessity of upgrading axels, wheels/tires when converting to disc brakes on 337.

We are ready to convert our 2021 337 with disc brakes we currently have factory 6k# axels 6 lug wheels Good Year Endurance tires, do we necessarily need to go up to 7k# axels and replace the wheels and tires? Any info on how much we would increase our load would be helpful? compared to the cost of going of new axels wheels tires?

John & Betty Lou
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    GMC Duramax 3500 diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alabloum View Post
    We are ready to convert our 2021 337 with disc brakes we currently have factory 6k# axels 6 lug wheels Good Year Endurance tires, do we necessarily need to go up to 7k# axels and replace the wheels and tires? Any info on how much we would increase our load would be helpful? compared to the cost of going of new axels wheels tires?

John & Betty Lou
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    GMC Duramax 3500 diesel
    John - there have a been a few folks on the forum who have converted to discs but I do not recall anyone changing to heavier springs and/or axles on their 337. Folks (including us) have shared posts over the years about changing to heavier springs and/or axles on other models/lines.

Rob @Second Chance may have some information to share as I think he converted to discs and MORryde suspension as well on their prior 337 GDRV.

Dan
    Last edited by Canyonlight; 06-09-2021 at 08:44 AM.
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not upgraded the axle or to disc brakes on our 323BHS, but I did upgrade the leaf springs when one broke. I did this mainly to go from a 5-leaf to a 6-leaf and 6K to 7K to overbuild. I did have one other spring getting "flat". They were only like $1 more per spring to do this.
    Jake and Leah, our two boys, and our Lab
    Based out of North Carolina, currently in Henderson, TX
    2013 RAM 2500 6.7L 4x4
    2015 Reflection 323BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We converted to disc brakes on our 303 RLS this spring. I have only towed maybe 2,000 miles since the upgrade but I d o not see a reason for an axle upgrade, yet.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    John - there have a been a few folks on the forum who have converted to discs but I do not recall anyone changing to heavier springs and/or axles.

Rob @Second Chance may have some information to share as I think he converted to discs and MORryde suspension as well on their prior 337 GDRV.

Dan
    Dan is correct - we had the MORryde independent suspension (different from the MORryde equalizer systems) and HOE disc brakes installed on our Reflection 337... but we are full timers. The IS is pretty pricey if you're a vacation/weekend camper putting only a few thousand miles a year on the rig. I would, however, definitely recommend the disc brakes. The axles on the 337 are fine - it's the springs, shackles, hangers, bolts, etc., that are problematic. For that, I would recommend the MORryde 3000 equalizer system with heavy-duty shackles and wet bolts. I would also have the V-clips welded to the spring hangers to reinforce those.

The wheels are fine. If your rig came with the Goodyear Endurance tires, those are fine, too. If Westlake load range E tires, my recommendation would be Goodyear Endurance, Goodyear G614 (heavier-duty than the Endurance), or Sailun S637.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakev383 View Post
    I have not upgraded the axle or to disc brakes on our 323BHS, but I did upgrade the leaf springs when one broke. I did this mainly to go from a 5-leaf to a 6-leaf and 6K to 7K to overbuild. I did have one other spring getting "flat". They were only like $1 more per spring to do this.
    Jake - thanks, for your post.......appreciate you chiming in. I should have stated "337" in my post #2 to be more clear for John. I did add some clarification.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide