User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    but I still think a lot of the problems Westlake tires had was from putting E-rated tires on too heavy of trailers.
    So here's the thing, according to weight ratings of tires, axles, etc. the Westlake E rated tires are within weight limitations. That is they should be able to carry the weight that is indicated in their specifications. That's why I stayed with the Westlake E rated tires until I had a catastrophic failure. THEY SHOULD HAVE WORKED FINE, THEY FAILED. Not because the weight on them exceeded their published specifications, not because I drive too fast, not because the tire pressure was incorrect.

I don't blame GD for using them, they are inexpensive and they are rated to carry the weight. But come on people, after so many failures it should be a clue that there is an issue here, wait a minute, they changed the tire. I guess GD decided there was an issue with them also.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Westlake Tire Pressure ST235/80R16--Why did it go so high?

Weird, I ran my my Goodyears at 75 psi and they never increased above 80 psi while traveling through West Texas at 75 mph in 100 degree heat.

Maybe because I have less of a load? at 9k lbs. vs. the heavier rigs?

I run them at 80 now and they stay within 2 psi all the time but we only drive an hour or two now and the weather here on the Oregon coast has averaged 65 degrees for the past 2 months we’ve been here (which is why we haven’t left).

lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit I'm as nervous as a cat at a veterinarians office. My story: I picked up the new Reflection 337 from the dealer and pulled it 120 miles home. Ten days later we were getting ready to hit the road and I checked the tires to be sure there was enough air in them before getting on the road. Ambient temp was approx. 82 degrees here in W. TN, time was approx 0800 hrs. Air pressure in all four Westlake E-rated tires were between 101 - 118 lb. Trailer was in the shade and no sunshine had been on them. Knowing this I can only imagine what the pressure was in each tire 10 days before when it was being pulled with ambient temp of 95!

I can't help but wonder if "the glue" was compromised due to over inflation, thus the reason for being nervous. I knew better than to trust a dealer's hired help.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread68 View Post
    I can't help but wonder if "the glue" was compromised due to over inflation, thus the reason for being nervous. I knew better than to trust a dealer's hired help.
    So the two indicators that I know of for imminent tire failure are an out of round appearance or bulging when looking at the tire, the second is a tire will lose 1-2 psi a day. There are other reasons for psi loss like that as well, I tried hard to make that true before my Westlake separated. But in hind sight I know recognize that slow leak as an indicator of approaching tire failure.
    Dallas

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked my Westilake tires at PDI time and they were all 80psi...and lucky I checked them because there was the spare was hanging down...but at least I knew they checked that too because it was 80psi too. Every time I check them, they are all the same. Between February when I got the coach, and now, they have varied between 79.5 and 80.5 but been all the same...I have never touched them other than check the pressure. I guess I'm the lucky one...till I run over something or hit a curb maybe...
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dallas - I'm not sure that a bulge in a tire indicates possible/probable failure. The last 3 sets of Michelin E rated tires on my trucks have all had sidewall bulges. These were OEM tires and replacement tires. The current tires on my Ram are OEM Firestone E rated tires and all 4 of them have a bulge in the sidewall with roughly 13k miles. I don't understand it, I don't like it, but apparently it is what it is. Obviously I've not stayed in a Holiday Inn recently.

Oh yes - I almost forgot ..... the Westlake tires on my unit also have slight bulges.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread68 View Post
    ... have all had sidewall bulges.
    Bulges or dimples? I have had tires with dimples, never liked it but it didn't appear to be a problem. I am talking about bulges on the tread.

I know these pictures don't show it very well, that's because it is very subtle. But here is a second Westlake tire with a bulge. I didn't spot this. The tire tech pointed it out then I was getting my Goodyear G614's put on.

Dallas

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like it could be either a belt shift or possibly even a break in the belt.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it just the camera angle or are the tread blocks on those tires pretty chewed up? Wonder what the mileage was on them. Those pics sure make me feel better about dropping a grand last month and removing my Westlakes with 400 miles on them. I've never thrown away a new set of tires like that in my life but just didn't want to worry about a blowout in the sticks somewhere.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I’ve had slight bulges in most tires I’ve owned for years and i haven’t had a flat since 1993.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast