User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dallas - It is difficult for me to see what your tire is doing, but I think I see it. What it seems to be is several scallops, possibly not - my eyes are trying to see it. If it is a lump in the tread, I agree with Gary/Marcy that it could be a belt shift/break. I've had that on some high dollar high speed Goodyear tires a long time ago.

It appears that your tire has irregular wear on the two outer tread lines; and if that is true there may be a multiple issue -- toe/camber and balance or something loose in the suspension. (That sounds like a politician's statement .... maybe this or that or this and that !! ...... I'm ashamed of myself !)

The condition my Michelin's and Firestone tires are bulges in the sidewall. A dimple would be an inset (for me) where a bulge is an outward balloon which in my mind is indicative of weak molecular structure in the rubber, but hey .... I don't make tires.

If there is a bulge/lump in the tread line on my tire, it would be coming off the rim ASAP.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread68 View Post
    It's difficult to see.... I don't make tires.
    Yes the pictures are poor. Only ones I had, they were the ones submitted to Westlake for a warranty claim, I guess Westlake understood well enough, they paid for it.

I don't make tires either. The few times I have tried to talk to manufacturer experts or tire engineers they kind of don't say anything I can understand. Tire material composition, basic tire manufacturer techniques, ply's, belting, tread depth. In determinating how/why tires fail these are all nice statistics, but they don't explain what happens. I really got the feeling they would never commit to an explanation because they are afraid of being held accountable for what they say, i.e. getting sued. So I gave up.

I love to understand why/how things work. It's very annoying to most people. But once I understand how/why something works or doesn't work then I can make better decisions. In the case of my tires I have accepted that I will never understand tires completely. I have to make all of my assumptions and decisions based in ignorance. My only guiding light here is I can observe my tires and see how they behave and observe changes in them over time. I cannot tell you why this happens. If I tried, then I would be joining the ranks of the tire salesmen who feed the public insignificant information.

So I will hang with my GY614's they have behaved the best for me.

It's also time for new tires for the truck. I have researched and researched, in the end, I am just going with the Michelin LTX At/2, same tire as last two replacements. They are expensive and not very exciting, they just work (for me).
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dallas - Ditto on everything you said ! There is one thing I have never been able to wrap my mind around - where does the tread go when it leaves my tires? After several thousand miles it disappears and the same happens to all the millions of tires on the road, yet there is never any tire tread (or very very little) on the road nor on the highway ROW. (excluding caps from failures) It's kinda like the question I wonder when my stock price goes down ..... where did that $ go?! I still have the certificate, but I no longer have the $ !! Things to ponder !!

Have a great day.
    R. Kaiser
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...where does the tread go when it leaves my tires?
    If I had the chance, that's the exact question I'd ask Larry McReynolds (a NASCAR crew chief turned announcer). When rain washes off the rubber on a racetrack, where does it go? Same on our streets--where does it go? (I could google the answer but that's no fun...)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dallas - - where does the tread go when it leaves my tires? R. Kaiser
    I can't prove it but I think tread recovery is one of those big business - government secret deals we hear about but no one can ever prove. Have you ever wondered why road maintenance/improvement is so expensive and slow. I mean really, look at the roughest road thread. Lot's of roads that need improvements. But the states can't keep up because it is so very expensive. Well I believe that rubber suppliers have lobbied to regulate that all roads have a secret tread recovery system built into them. As the tread wears off on the highway it seeps down into the tread recovery system. It's a slow process and is based primarily on gravitational pull, therefor there is no equipment or energy required. Once it reaches the deepest portion of the system and begins to pool in the retaining tanks you will see government labeled trucks with big suction hoses attached on the side of the road collecting the tread. The tread is then trucked to the rubber retrieval company that then charges the government a "disposal fee" to take the used tread off their hands. After an inexpensive process the tread retrieval folks sell the recovered tread to the tire companies as tire rubber and the whole process is started again.

I sure hope everyone else thinks I am as funny as I think I am after a good day of exercise and a couple of scotches.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see a Federal Grant Application already in the making that has a high probability of being approved with at least 7 senators wanting to include additions.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    I can't prove it but I think tread recovery is one of those big business - government secret deals we hear about but no one can ever prove. Have you ever wondered why road maintenance/improvement is so expensive and slow. I mean really, look at the roughest road thread. Lot's of roads that need improvements. But the states can't keep up because it is so very expensive. Well I believe that rubber suppliers have lobbied to regulate that all roads have a secret tread recovery system built into them. As the tread wears off on the highway it seeps down into the tread recovery system. It's a slow process and is based primarily on gravitational pull, therefor there is no equipment or energy required. Once it reaches the deepest portion of the system and begins to pool in the retaining tanks you will see government labeled trucks with big suction hoses attached on the side of the road collecting the tread. The tread is then trucked to the rubber retrieval company that then charges the government a "disposal fee" to take the used tread off their hands. After an inexpensive process the tread retrieval folks sell the recovered tread to the tire companies as tire rubber and the whole process is started again.

I sure hope everyone else thinks I am as funny as I think I am after a good day of exercise and a couple of scotches.
    WOW, glad you qualified this because I was gonna ask you if your foil hat was too tight! LOL
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see a Federal Grant Application already in the making that has a high probability of being approved with at least 7 senators wanting to include additions.
    Unfortunately, he's right
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123