Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

310 with 2019 GMC with B&W Hitch?

Hi, Dave and Kay here. We have a new Solitude 310 and will have a GMC 3500 long bed, single rear wheel. We are going to use the B&W, RVK3700 hitch. The hitch connects to the truck via the puck system. I am going to install the hitch myself, but was wondering what height other folks have their hitch adjusted to. There are three heights, each a one inch difference. I can readjust the height but thought I would ask what other people have theirs set. I was hoping to do this once. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had mine in the middle position with my Reflection last year but had to go up to the highest position with the new Solitude to get the bedrail clearance I wanted and level the trailer. It seems like the Rotoflex pinboxes on the Solitudes don't reach down into the bed as far as the Reflections. I would start at the middle position and see what you think. You really want at least 5 1/2 inches bed rail clearance at minimum and 6 + is even better.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Dave & Kay.

Short answer; Barring more specific information, I would start with it in the middle position. I have a 2017 Ford F-350 (see my signature) and a B+W RVK3500 (for the Ford puck system). I run the hitch in the middle position with our 310GK.

Medium Long answer; It depends on truck (I am guessing you have a 2019 on order?), 2 vs 4 wheel drive, bed floor and side wall height, pin weight, trailer height etc.

To estimate the starting height, you will need to know the height of the trailer plate with the trailer loaded as you plan to tow it and level (if you use the front landing gear the trailer (and plate for level) will raise slightly when you hook up (vs. on the front landing gear) as you will transfer more weight to the pin and off the axles. Also, you need to know the loaded bed height. With my 310GK the loaded pin weight is typically 2,800~2,900# and squats the rear of the truck about 3". With people, "stuff" in the cab and fuel load, this is about another +/- 1/2" in squat. This is for my truck. You numbers may very. This is all for getting the trailer to tow "level".

The other consideration is bed rail clearance. Generally I hear to aim for 6" min clearance. So you can measure the height of the bed rails and the distance from the trailer plate below the trailer overhang and figure out your minimum hitch height to give you 6" clearance. With my Ford, the bed rails (21+" tall) and the truck are so tall, I can not get 6" rail-to-trailer clearance AND tow level. I would need to lower the rear of the truck about 2" (can be done) or raise the trailer 2" or a combination of the two. For the first year (last year) I have towed this combination, I left the truck and trailer stock and split the difference. I have a little over 5" clearance over the bed rails and the trailer is about 1-1/2" nose high. This tows fine I have never (yet) hit the bed/trailer, but I do not go off road and I try to hit any road transitions (gas stations, entrance/exits, etc.) SLOWLY and at an angle when I can.

Bottom line; The hitch height is fairly easy to adjust (requires the correct size wrenches) and there are a lot of variables in trying to figure out the exact height before hooking up. I would just set it at the middle setting and hook it up. If your bed rail clearance is to small for your comfort, raise the hitch. Otherwise try it there for a bit.

Chris

PS On many 5th wheel trailers you can adjust the pin box height (also in 1" increments). I talked to the factory and at least on our 2018 310GK you can NOT adjust the height due to clearance issues between the pin box and the frame.
    Last edited by CoChris; 01-26-2019 at 01:51 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris and Jeff, many thanks for your input. I was thinking I would need to go top position for rail clearance but the new trucks are taller than our old truck. I guess I will have to experiment. Oh, the truck is on order, should get it in a couple weeks and it is 4wd.
    Dave

2019 Solitude 310GK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2hams View Post
    Oh, the truck is on order, should get it in a couple weeks and it is 4wd.
    Dave
    Oh you luck dog. I would really like to hear what you think of the 10 speed tranny after you start towing. Trucks are getting really expensive but they sure are doing some really cool stuff for 2019s
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GMC diesel still uses the Allison 1000, 6 speed transmission. Which is ok by me, good transmission.

2019 Solitude 310GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is a little late, but I have a 2017 GMC 3500 DRW with the same hitch (which is awesome).

I set my hitch at the middle height and with the pin over the rear axel. Worked great towing from Syracuse NY through the mountains to the middle on NJ.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    2017 GMC Sierra Dually Denali w/ the 6.6L Duramax
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 377MBS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgargiullo View Post
    I know this is a little late, but I have a 2017 GMC 3500 DRW with the same hitch (which is awesome).

I set my hitch at the middle height and with the pin over the rear axel. Worked great towing from Syracuse NY through the mountains to the middle on NJ.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Thanks. We are just hoping the 2019 is not too much taller. Long story short...we ordered the truck on Sep 20, but still don't have it. Beginning to wonder if we will have it in time for the gathering at Turning Stone in July, maybe we'll meet there.

2019 Solitude 310GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by warsw1 View Post
    Oh you luck dog. I would really like to hear what you think of the 10 speed tranny after you start towing. Trucks are getting really expensive but they sure are doing some really cool stuff for 2019s
    That's not coming until 2020
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all the replies. We installed the new B&w hitch in our 2019 3500 SRW. We set the hitch to the middle position and we have about 6-1/2” bed rail clearance so I think it will work out fine.

Dave

2019 Solitude 310GK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast