User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer requirements for CDL A driving test in Texas

It's a pain folding up the Fifth wheel and I don't want to do that just to take the drivers test in TX. Is there a specific statement regarding the size/type trailer to take the CDL A test in tx?
    Extra Class Ham Operator WB0YD
    2018 Imagine 2670MK previous rig
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2018 Ram 3500 crew cab 4x4 Long bed dually Cummins automatic
    AISIN A69 trans 3.73 gears, B+W Companion slider

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember seeing in the TX CMV Drivers Handbook:
    Road Test
    A driver must take a Road Test in the vehicle he plans to drive or one in the same class.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh ill drive the new dually and pull a 20' double axel flatbed bumper pull trailer. just wondering if that's OK. the TX dot website doesn't say and the DL office is even worse.
    2019 Solitude 375RES

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the same license is required to pull the flatbed trailer you plan to use, I would think you are golden.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    Oh ill drive the new dually and pull a 20' double axel flatbed bumper pull trailer. just wondering if that's OK. the TX dot website doesn't say and the DL office is even worse.
    There is still a lot of confusion at the DPS offices on the Class A CDL Exempt license. However this specific drivers license is aimed at those people who drive or tow specific vehicles like RVs , Farm Machinery, Fire Trucks or Motor Homes. That is why they have you fill out the CDL-2 form - NON-CDL Exempt, stating what class of vehicle you will be using the license for.

When I took my skills test, they did know the driving skills test was for an RV because they had a copy of the CDL-2 form I filled out, I checked the box for RV Personal Use. Its in the DPS computer system. They also checked the GVWR of my trailer.

How did you fill out the CDL-2 form? You could be in trouble if they check your CDL-2 form and see that the skills test is for an RV (depending on how you filled out the CDL-2 form) and you show up with a flatbed trailer. If you get a knowledgeable instructor for the skills test they will question it. If they miss it you could just get by with it.

Look I know its a PITA, but if they start checking forms and asking questions you could be denied the license.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Misfit View Post
    I told my instructor/tester I was going to borrow a trailer for the test and she said "no way jose"...bring your 5th wheel.

So I did.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the trailer I plan on using has a gvwr of 15475. 1200 or so less than the RV. All I've seen is reference to trailer gvwr for the test. If someone or even the tester can show me specific language that states the RV trailer must or shall be used I will use the RV. Haven't found that specific language in any handbook or DpS provided information. I may be wrong but I have not found it.
    2019 Solitude 375RES

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just reading this thread and struggling with Texas DPS which states...

1. Single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more.
    2. A combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Now I have a 2017 F350 SRW which runs around 10,000#s and the 337RLS runs 10,590#'s as listed on the GD website. I'm sure we have added at least 1,000#'s (generator/washer-dryer/belongings) so I may have a combined weight I've around 22,000 pounds.

But it seems the "gotcha" is they way they wordsmith #2 "towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds".

Gonna make an appointment with DPS tomorrow and go visit them. The one thing that maybe be in my favor (hoping to not have to tow the trailer to a test center) is that I drove deuce & half with trailers behind them while I was in the Navy, and maybe I can get a waiver.
    2017 F350 Lariat
    Co-Pilot RV Navigation System
    Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Package
    B&W Companion 25K
    Trail Air 18K King Pin
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    Winegard Connect 2.0 4G/LTE Wifi Extender
    Winegard Traveler HD Antenna
    Honda EU3000is Generator onboard
    Boston Whaler Dauntless Boat

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I just found this in the Texas DPS CDL requirements. This diagram from DPS tells me a CDL is not required in my case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 8.46.02 PM.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	19981
    2017 F350 Lariat
    Co-Pilot RV Navigation System
    Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Package
    B&W Companion 25K
    Trail Air 18K King Pin
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    Winegard Connect 2.0 4G/LTE Wifi Extender
    Winegard Traveler HD Antenna
    Honda EU3000is Generator onboard
    Boston Whaler Dauntless Boat

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been trying to understand the Pa. code here as well. It is the same as this ^^^^. So , along with @mestubbe , I am thinking I am fine as well.

Brian