User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help With Towing Weight

I purchased a Grand Design Imagine 2500RL today and was assured by the dealer that my 2005 F-150 King Ranch had enough power to pull it with no problem. However, on the way home I felt uncomfortable with how it was towing. This is in part due to the brake controller not working correctly which I will fix in a little bit. So I decided I better check from some of you experts if I made the right decision in purchasing this camper or will I have to upgrade trucks.

Below is the information on my truck and the camper. Sorry, I cannot figure out how to rotate the image of the truck nameplate to save my life.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0738 (001).jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	20281

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0741 (002).jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	20282

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a link to a towing calculator and a good thread on towing weights. Also do a search in the upper right corner to find other threads.
    2019 GMC 2500 HD Denali
    2021 Reflection 337RLS / EMS HW50C
    Reece 20K Goosebox
    Solid Step

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2009 F150 XLT Crew and I tow my 2800BH OK. I am getting ready to upgrade to a 2500HD though. Here are a couple of other files I used to find my weights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F150 Towing Capacity Results 2.jpg   F150 Towing Capacity Results 1.jpg  
    2019 GMC 2500 HD Denali
    Reece 20K Goosebox
    Solid Step

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Bonchie
    Welcome to the forum.
    Looking at your truck sticker you have about 1500# cargo weight. From this you need to subtract everything you have added to the truck , including the weight distribution hitch , to see how much you have left for tongue weight and other stuff.
    You may have not had your hitch set up correctly, and after loading "stuff" into the camper this set up will change. This could have led you to not "feeling" right when you towed home , brakes help also.
    I think you should be fine , but it is a good idea to double check.

I do not like when dealers say " no problem, you can do it just fine". I would rather know myself.
    Good for you to do the checking to make sure.

Brian

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2019 GMC 2500 HD Denali
    Reece 20K Goosebox
    Solid Step

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The links provided will help you find more information. Almost all trucks can pull adequately. Unfortunately, many may not be able to carry the weight. And the weight has to be distributed correctly.

For a rough guide, tongue weight should be 12-15% of the total trailer weight. 13% is a pretty safe number to use for rough estimates. Between the empty weight shown on the sticker, and the fully loaded weight, your tongue will then be between 776 and 969 lbs. Call it 875 if you don't pack a large amount of heavy stuff. Your truck can have no more than 1,573 in payload. So subtracting the 875, you'd have about 700 left over. As noted that would be for all passengers, dogs, tools, stuff added to the truck after it rolled off the line (toppers, cargo liners, running boards, floor mats, etc.), and the weight distributing hitch. So you might be close to the line when fully loaded for camping, depending.

But, you were likely towing it home when it was as light as it is ever going to be - no "stuff" in it. Grand Design specs the tongue weight to be 581 (which is fictitious), and if we add to that 80 lbs for propane and a battery, you might be around 660. That translates into 11% tongue weight. That is too low! You'd be pretty prone to trailer sway with that number (the tail of the trailer wags back and forth as you drive - which can be a very serious problem). So that may be a big part of what you were experiencing. While you want to trust the dealer, recheck from the manual for your hitch, and what Ford says, to make sure you are getting the correct weight transfer to the front. If you are light on the front wheels, that can also contribute to to feeling out of control. Count on having to readjust everything for correctness when you get up to "camping weight".

Of course, all of the above is based on estimates and guesstimates. Start reading up on how to use a truck stop scale, so you can apply real numbers to see where you are at.

But, from the above, while you may be close to your payload limits, you likely will still be in the safe zone. It's now a matter of getting stuff in the trailer, and making sure both that you have a good tongue weight to avoid sway, and have your hitch adjusted correctly for the overall weight.

Then do another drive, and if it still feels off, come back and we'll give more suggestions as to what you can try to feel more solid.
    Last edited by sande005; 05-23-2019 at 10:18 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the assistance. I am working through all the information. I appreciate the help and will take any assistance given. This is all new to me.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2500rl and are towing it with a 2018F150 ECO 4x4 CC.

Just bought it last Nov but made a 2000mile plus trip to the Keys. Our TT pulls great. Haven't been in the mountains yet but we will see about that soon.

We do have a max towing pkg. and a little more payload than you.

Dealer set up our old WD hitch for us when we picked it up and it towed fine going home empty. I'm wondering if your hitch needs adjusting.

We also have Michelin Defender E rated tires which help also. I've never been a Michelin fan but love these tires. Ride a little rougher than P rated but I actually like that. We run 40psi empty and 55psi when towing.

Another thing that will help are good shocks. We put Bilstein shocks on our 2004F150 and really liked the difference they made.

Hopefully you have the 5.4 engine. We had the 4.6 in our 2004 and it was pretty weak in the hills.

good luck

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonchie View Post
    Thanks everyone for the assistance. I am working through all the information. I appreciate the help and will take any assistance given. This is all new to me.
    You're welcome - we've all gone through it. I researched the heck out of my first purchase, a small fifth wheel, and had to go through the whole process of weight management. And then I switched to a Travel Trailer, and OMG - it was like starting all over again, and seemed even more complicated. But I finally got it figured out, and you will too.
    BTW - in my example above, I used an estimated tongue weight of 13%. That was only for rough estimating. Tongue weights in the 11's are definitely too low. But once you start to get to the other side of 12% you may find everything settling down nicely. 'Tis all a balancing act - keep tongue weight low, so you have more payload for other stuff - but not so low that you are at all prone to sway.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The truck sticker shows P265/60R 18 tires with max pressure of 35 psi. Those are passenger tires and not really good for hauling weight. The sidewalls will be more flexible and will contribute to that uncomfortable feeling. Try upgrading to a LT tire with stiffer sidewalls and a bit more air pressure.

Doug
    2016 Imagine 2600RB "CLEO"

2016 Ram 2500 Megacab Longhorn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast