User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill & Jeri RV Travels View Post
    Yep, I used to use it to create routes for the sport touring bike (ST1300) that I had and download them to the Garmin Zumo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BMW R1200RT now. Use to ride Goldwing, FJR & Concours. Going on 400,000 miles on 2 wheels since 1997. Most miles were done with custom routes planned on map source and basecam.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does Basecamp understand your weight, height, and propane limitations to route you properly? I can appreciate looking at routes in a park specific app, but the point of the Garmin 770/780 RV is that it properly routes you base on your vehicle limitations. Using Basecamp for a motorcycle or car which has no limitations make sense, but confused why take the 770 RV out of the equation or maybe I am missing something about Basecamp that I don’t use.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pretty confident that Garmin’s data base set is consistent model to model, i.e., it is the same database no matter what model GPS you are using.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I am the odd man out. I tried the new Magellan and canned it after 3 trips and went back to the 9165. I compare it to nav in the truck and the RV Life app on the phone. RV life lets you enter all the stuff you enter on a RV GPS and is suppose to route for RVs. I have only used it once since it is a new app. I think they all use the same maps and seem to be on about the same page when routing. I usually compare those to Google Maps on the computer just to check against each other.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Kenny & Susan "Freddie" on board
    2019 Reflection 297rsts
    2017 F250 6.2
    14k Equalizer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technojerry View Post
    Does Basecamp understand your weight, height, and propane limitations to route you properly? I can appreciate looking at routes in a park specific app, but the point of the Garmin 770/780 RV is that it properly routes you base on your vehicle limitations. Using Basecamp for a motorcycle or car which has no limitations make sense, but confused why take the 770 RV out of the equation or maybe I am missing something about Basecamp that I don’t use.
    No Basecamp does not allow for RV measurements. I still use it to create routes of my liking. Then before loading it I use the auto route feature on the gps and compare the two. I'll go back and change my custom route if the gps shows any problems.
    When traveling I generally use secondary roads and stay off the interstate. Don't have a problem usually as these were main routes years ago. I find that low trees are a bigger problem than avoiding bridges.
    The app TruckMap is a new one I will try soon. It allows you to enter RV dimensions and uses truck routes.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since my GD 2930RL is over 13' in height and combined weight is over 10 tons, I have been using CoPilot RV app on my iPhone to verify RV routing is safe for my height and weight. $29 per year gets you the RV features and real-time traffic routing. I have Apple CarPlay in dash in my 2019 F-350 which is better, but I run in parallel CoPilot to verify no low bridges, etc. are an issue. I never only use Google or Apple maps because they don't have any idea of the size of the rig you are towing. Garmin and Rand McNalley might be in my future someday, but the center area of my dash near the windshield is already occupied by a 7" Furrion rear trailer camera monitor that I run while towing. I have the Ford Ultimate Tow Package hardwire camera too which is more reliable (never drops sync requiring power reset), but Ford does not display that camera in the in dash screen above 6 mph and I am not willing to pay over $500 for the hack module to fake my GPS out in the Ford so the motor stays active. I also can display the two side cameras from Fusion that I also mounted on the GD 5th wheel.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozarks View Post
    I have gone from a Travel Trailer to a 5'er (303rls) and with the higher height I'm looking for a GPS system that will limit routes to the height I enter. I've been using Google Maps for navigation and as you know it does not have this feature. I have been looking at Garmin RV GPS systems and see they have a 770 and a new 780. what is the difference besides the price? Has anybody had experience with the new RV 780? Earl
    The Garmin 780 has no built in camera. RV 785 is with Built ins Camera. The only thing I saw in specs from 770 was 3D , heavier. One site said new one was 16 g memory. Not much out there yet. Can't find if faster processor or anything. Does say that RV 785 is 2 hrs battery vs 1 hr. Guess with camera and double battery life is why 785 is 15.4 oz vs 8.45 oz.
    Last edited by nonrev59; 08-31-2019 at 04:16 PM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding is the 770 gets traffic info via your phone connection while the 780 has an FM receiver to get the information from local channels. The 780 also has a magnetic mount instead of the ball joint configuration I believe.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any Garmin 780/785 users out there that want to share their experiences? Thanks!
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Works for Me

Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Any Garmin 780/785 users out there that want to share their experiences? Thanks!
    I used it fresh out of the box on a 3,600 mile trip from Northern NV to SoCal to Colorado via Flagstaff and back through Great Basin NP to Carson Valley with no issues. I liked that it would give you the elevation profile on the road you were driving since there was lots of steep grades in CA/NV and Colo. I did once have to keep the route to reload to get the profile to be correct, but overall pleased. I always verify my route with a truckers guide as well as CoPilot to just play it safe with 13.5' sail behind me. Routing and display were nice. I have it on an extend arm cup mount since my Furrion rear wireless trailer camera is up on the dash in view. I bough the 780 to just have the latest instead of the 770. Not sure there really is much difference, but I keep things for a long time. The 785 camera and rugged housing did not seem worth the money and also where I have to mount it today. I did not use the camp ground lookup feature since I have other app for that. I did look for diesel and it worked ok, but I also use GasBuddy to verify prices since I only get 10.5 with my 34.5' 5er and a F350 4x4 CC SRW SB.
    Jerry
    2019 GD 2930RL
    2019 Ford F-350 6.7L CC SRW 4x4 Ford Ultimate Tow Package, Cameras and Trailer TPMS
    w/ Andresen Ultimate Hitch

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast