Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disc Brakes an Option Now On Solitudes.

Take this for what's it worth......

Yesterday, while talking to a potential buyer in a Solitude, a sales rep came in and told us you can now order disc brakes for a Solitude. I understood him to say it isn't listed as an option yet but GD is now taking orders for disc brakes.

If so, this would be a great plus for the Solitudes. I also looked at Montanas and found them to have a nice interior and now, IMO, a strong contender to the Solitudes. I'm not buying anything, just saying....

The disc brake option includes 8,000 lb axels, and H rated 17.5" tires according to the sales rep, who interestingly, seemed to actually know his stuff about Grand Design.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing this. I knew there was a disc brake option but I wasn't told about the 8,000lb axles or 17.5" tires. My dealer said the disc brake option will be $3,200.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet 17.5 inch wheels makes tires more expensive. I wonder how many tire stores carry that size?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
    I bet 17.5 inch wheels makes tires more expensive. I wonder how many tire stores carry that size?
    Actually quite a few. On my former 5th wheel I spent $6k to upgrade to 8k axles, disk brakes, and 17.5 tires. On my Momentum I spent $3k to add disk breaks and 8k hubs, stayed with 16" tires since I am triple axle.

If you are going to do serious mileage the upgrade is definitely worth it. If you only short hauling for the weekend probably not.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonder if they will offer that on the Momentum too? No question about it, 3,200 dollars for commercial tires and disc brakes? No brainer for me. The disc brakes alone, if you do it after the fact, will cost you near that much. If you did all of it, 8K axles, 17.5 rims/tires and discs, man, you'd be looking at some serious coin; with labor, have to think that would be 7K+ to have done.. Might be more, IDK.

I wonder if upgrading to 8K axles changes the weight rating? My 351M has 14K of axles and a 16.8K (IIRC) total weight, giving me a few thousand in capacity. Wonder if upgrading to the 8K axles would take that to 18.8-19K? That would be very nice, and, frankly, probably keep a lot of people from having to go to triple (which has it's own problems, tire scrubbing, alignment, etc).

Or, getting really crazy, wonder if they will ever offer one of these things with tandem duals. Oil bath axles with a WHOLE lot of capacity, commercial tires, etc. Funny that I can easily order tandem duals on a new 20K dump trailer, but can't order them on a 21K travel trailer.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guy on facebook had said that it is a $5k option for the axles, wheels, disc brakes. Which I agree, is a good value although I am very curious to know what tires are used, the H rated WestLakes are only rated to 62 mph which is useless imho.

I reached out to my dealer to see if I can get this package retroactively added to my 2019 3740BH-R and get a new sticker with higher GVWR.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8k Axles.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	173.0 KB 
ID:	24386
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked into the disc brake option when we ordered our Solitude and I got this reply from the dealer:

. . . .here is the response on the disc brake question from my Solitude rep.: Yeah that is floating around on the forums. It’s not a factory option per se, we just send it over to MorRyde once it is done and they upfit it. It is an aftermarket add.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    I looked into the disc brake option when we ordered our Solitude and I got this reply from the dealer:

. . . .here is the response on the disc brake question from my Solitude rep.: Yeah that is floating around on the forums. It’s not a factory option per se, we just send it over to MorRyde once it is done and they upfit it. It is an aftermarket add.
    That WAS a true statement.

GD is working on the disc brake option, along with larger axles and wheels/tires.

I talked with my Factory Rep last week about it. It is not ready to roll off yest.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just spent $3164 for the Disk Brakes with 8K Rotors and larger studs via Performance Trailer Braking (Installed price).

They offer a package that includes the 8k axles:
    8,000 lb. Double Axle & Disc Brake Upgrade from 7k Axle - $3,485
    8k Double axle disc brake kit (Complete Kit)
    2x 8k lb Dexter Axles
    4x 4k lb Double Eye Leaf Springs
    New U-Bolt Kit with Tie Plates

https://performancetrailerbraking.com/disc-brakes
    Mention my name (Robert Webb) and you get $50 off.

That does not include Installation (probably $1500 or so).
    Full-time as of March 1, 2020
    2019 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW Long Bed, Andersen Ultimate Connection 5th Wheel Trailer Hitch System, Air Lift LoadLifter 7500 XL w/compressor
    2020 Solitude 3740BH R
    Titan Disk Brakes
    Onan Generator, TheDryCampers Installed Solar, Slide-Out Awnings

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m curious why folks upgrade to 8K. I’m assuming we can’t change the GVWR. Is it peace of mind? Or do you expect to load an additional 2K of cargo? (For 2 axles). I’m asking because I’d really like to upgrade my 310 with disc brakes but I’m not sure why I’d consider 8K too. Thanks!
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast