Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow Leak

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slow Leak

I have Cooper ST215/75R17.5 Work Series tires on Lionshead black Phoenix wheels. I also have a TireLinc TPMS. The issue that I am having is that I have a slow leak. I have put soapy water on the value and around the tire bead with no signs of a leak. There is also no weird tread wear or anything that looks like a puncture. Took the wheel off the rig, inflated it to 120PSI and let it sit overnight in the garage. Pressure dropped to 115PSI by the next day. Temperature in the garage did not change much overnight so it should not have been a factor. I did tighten the valve stem before inflating so that also should not be an issue. I attached a photo of the valve stem.

Ideas?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20231029_152957613.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	48673

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not mess around with it. Take it to a tire shop and have it remounted along with changing out the gaskets in the valve. Have them look for a leak while they are remounting it.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would leak test the tread, but at the rated pressure. As odd as it may seem, when leak checking, over pressuring can actually give a false indication.
    Also check the base if the valve stem too.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the Schrader valve in the actual valve stem tight?
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd fully submerge the wheel/tire. There have been reports of wheels with small cracks.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rtrainer View Post
    I have Cooper ST215/75R17.5 Work Series tires on Lionshead black Phoenix wheels. I also have a TireLinc TPMS. The issue that I am having is that I have a slow leak. I have put soapy water on the value and around the tire bead with no signs of a leak. There is also no weird tread wear or anything that looks like a puncture. Took the wheel off the rig, inflated it to 120PSI and let it sit overnight in the garage. Pressure dropped to 115PSI by the next day. Temperature in the garage did not change much overnight so it should not have been a factor. I did tighten the valve stem before inflating so that also should not be an issue. I attached a photo of the valve stem.

Ideas?

I have had 4 of the valve stem cores be bad in my new rig that I got in May. I replaced the cores with new ones from new stems from GDRV that they sent me, and the slow leak went away. I did not have to replace the entire stem. Becareful if you swap cores for the stem, because when you remove the current one, the pressure when you unscrew it is insane and could blow the core into your face/eyes. That solved my issue, hope it helps . (I have the same wheels and tires as you).
    2023 Momentum 397TH w/Gen3 Goosebox
    2020 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 F-450 Limited PowerStroke

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I'd fully submerge the wheel/tire. There have been reports of wheels with small cracks.
    This happened to us. There were bubbles coming out of the wheel itself about 1 1/2" in from the edge. Didn't see a crack there, just a small imperfection in the surface. The Discount Tire dealer that found the leak (on the 3rd visit) said it was a manufacturing defect. Took a while, but the dealer we bought from got us a replacement. Shoutout to Discount Tire, they didn't charge for anything, maybe since I am a repeat customer.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rtrainer View Post

Ideas?

Did you leave the Tire Linc sensor on over night? Soap up the tire linc sensors. I've had two develop slow leaks between the brass and plastic and the soap kept on bubbling there even after I removed the sensor. One tire (same Coopers) went completely flat and broke the bead when I raised to hitch height. Had to pull the wheel and take it to the tire shop to re-seat it and no leaks without the sensor. LCI sent me two replacements.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alias100 View Post
    Shoutout to Discount Tire, they didn't charge for anything, maybe since I am a repeat customer.
    Definite shout out to Discount Tire. I had a flat just as I pulled into a campsite in Savannah. Pulled the tire off the coach and took it to Discount Tire. The manager met me at my truck, took the tire, suggested that I take the wife out to lunch. When we got back, he met me at the truck with the repaired tire, put it in the truck. When I asked him what I owed, he told me to just remember them when I needed new tires. Outstanding service.
    Don and Linda along with Trixie and Chase the Camping Dogs
    Jacksonville, Florida

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 Duramax Crewcab LTZ
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A tire that loses 5 PSI overnight should be an easy one for a tire shop to figure out. Take it to one while it is off the trailer.
    2023 Reflection 297RSTS
    2020 F-250 Power Stroke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast