Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spencers45 View Post
    My wife and I spend about 6 months of each year in Arizona (not our domicile) and the remaining 6 months (and a day) in Delaware. We would like to have a car at each location but given that our drivers license is from Delaware, we would need to have both vehicles inspected in Delaware. Getting the car back to Arizona would be too difficult for us. We were wondering if we could have one spouse keep their license in Delaware and the other spouse would get a drivers license in Arizona? Has anybody done this? What are the downsides?

Thanks in advance
    Does Delaware require the inspection in order to get plates? If not, don't worry about it.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect that the proper answer to this type of question is to actually ask the DMV in each State that might be involved. Don't be surprised, though, if the two States give conflicting answers (each one says the vehicle must be registered in their State).

That said, if the Ford is based in Delaware, and only used there, and the Chevy is based in Arizona, and only used there, I would think there would be fewer questions if the Ford and Delaware plates and the Chevy had Arizona plates.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Does Delaware require the inspection in order to get plates? If not, don't worry about it.

Hi John, Delaware DOES require an actual inspection of the vehicle
    Happy owner of a 2017 GD Reflection 337RLS.
    Ram 2500 Cummins
    Pullrite Superglide Slide Hitch

To date, we have camped in all 48 contiguous states and over 200 different campgrounds. We have loved every minute! My travel blog (which also contains a list of campgrounds along with our reviews) is at FriendsAlongTheWay dot org

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi John, Delaware DOES require an actual inspection of the vehicle
    I see it’s required before registration, but there is a form to get an out of state inspection

https://www.dmv.de.gov/forms/veh_ser...pdfs/MV210.pdf
    Last edited by jkwilson; 04-25-2023 at 07:03 AM.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We would like to have a car at each location but given that our drivers license is from Delaware, we would need to have both vehicles inspected in Delaware.
    Are we confusing drivers license requirements with vehicle registration? Here’s my example: While we we RI residents, we purchased a car in UT for our son while he was going to school there. The car was registered in UT, had to comply with UT emissions testing, UT plates, etc. All this and I was the registered owner with an RI mailing address. We did have to get a separate UT insurance policy because our RI policy didn’t cover vehicles garaged in UT (UT was actually cheaper).

I believe UT was happy to take my registration fees whether or not I was a UT resident (I suspect AZ and other states would be the same).
    Last edited by orbsah; 04-25-2023 at 07:20 AM.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw a lot of vehicles stored in their car port in Mesa for storage. But plates were removed so I couldn't tell if people registered in AZ or not?
    We wintered in Mesa and I was told there was a problem with license plate theft on vehicles in storage. The advice is to remove the plates and toss them in the trunk.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    I see it’s required before registration, but there is a form to get an out of state inspection

https://www.dmv.de.gov/forms/veh_ser...pdfs/MV210.pdf
    This seems to be the ticket and would appear to work for OP. It even has provisions if the state you are at doesn't do Emissions testing.

Only question I have is the form states RENEWAL. So, I would call DMV and ask if I could use the form for initial registration.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good afternoon, sorry for the long message and if there is several posts. I had issues posting. Domicile: South Dakota (SD) - Driver's license: - SD - Own property in Arizona. I recently applied for an Arizona ID card. While doing so, the agent recommended that I do not get an Arizona driver's license until I change my domicile to Arizona or I would have to surrender my SD driver's license. He also stated if I get a federally compliant ID, it would cause issues and cause red flags with my SD driver's license. He stated that I could not register my vehicles in Arizona unless my domicile was in Arizona. He recommended tha I get an ID (not federally compliant) and wait to get an Arizona driver's license and wait to register my vehicles until I change my domicile to Arizona.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I spend about 6 months of each year in Arizona (not our domicile) and the remaining 6 months (and a day) in Delaware. We would like to have a car at each location but given that our drivers license is from Delaware, we would need to have both vehicles inspected in Delaware. Getting the car back to Arizona would be too difficult for us. We were wondering if we could have one spouse keep their license in Delaware and the other spouse would get a drivers license in Arizona? Has anybody done this? What are the downsides?

Thanks in advance
    Don't know about Delaware and Arizona, but I was living in NY and had a house in NC. I was able to register my NC car in NC and my NY car in NY with my NY drivers license. NC has out of state registration.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Under the new real ID laws most states require you show proof of residency and ID (passport, birth cert) to get a drivers license or ID card. Not sure why you feel the need to change your license just for the sake of a vehicle inspection. Why not apply for an ID card instead of a license. We did that with CA - TX as we went between both because of our adult kids. Since we get all of our bills via email we kept the billing address in CA but showed the physical evidence as being my sons in Texas. We did that for 3 months, which was how many months we had to have to prove residency and then we went to the TX authorities and got an ID card only. As long as the car is titled / registered in Arizona it shouldn't matter if it's an ID card or license.
    Jeri, Honey & Char
    2019 GD Momentum 376th
    2022 Ford F350 Crewcab 4WD SRW Diesel Longbed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast