User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huntington Beach State Campground, SC south of Myrtle Beach is great campground without all traffic of Myrtle Beach. Buck Hall is very small Federal campground 20 miles north of Charleston, SC on inland waterway.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We recently went to Skidaway Island SP in GA. Great park, easy to getinto spur sites. Highly reccomend it. It's not far from Savannah so plenty to do and see in many directions. Can't wait to get back to the area and explore more.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    We recently went to Skidaway Island SP in GA. Great park, easy to getinto spur sites. Highly reccomend it. It's not far from Savannah so plenty to do and see in many directions. Can't wait to get back to the area and explore more.
    Skidaway is a great camp ground.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hilton Head Harbor RV Park is beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have done a number of great trips over the past 4-5 years. We live in western VA outside Harrisonburg so distances would be somewhat similar. It all depends on how far you are willing to travel and how much time you have available. Our long trips to Yellowstone, South Dakota, and Grand Canyon were 2 week trips. Our boys are now 17 and 15 and these trips over the years will be remembered for the rest of their lives.

Yellowstone - twice
    South Dakota (Custer State Park + Badlands) - twice
    Grand Canyon
    Gettysburg, PA - multiple times
    Pigeon Forge TN
    Chincoteague Island, VA
    Luray, VA - multiple times

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well thanks to all for the info. It looks like I got a lot of research to do now. I have looked at some of the places mentioned above. Always good to here from others for confirmation. When our kids have spring break we normally like to go some where warm to do water actives. Any one know places in GA / FL ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2hams View Post
    Have you been to Yogi Bear at Luray?

Or either Holiday Travel Park or KOA in Virginia Beach?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    We live just on the other side of the mountain from Luray so have travelled this area quite a bit. There is another campground just down Rte 211 from Yogi Bear called Outlander River Camp that is right on the Shenandoah River for tubing, swimming etc. On the other side of Luray is Shenandoah River State Park, also on the river. They have tubing and a zip line in the park. There is also a zip line on 211 between You and Outlander's. You have Skyline Drive access close by to both campgrounds for hiking, water falls, etc. There are several caverns near by, especially Luray Caverns. Both campgrounds are smaller/quieter than Yogi. There is also a KOA in the Luray area but we feel their prices are high.

We've been to Smith Mountain Lake State Park and Hungry Mother State Park multiple times as well as Douthat State Park. All of these are close to your area.

If you go across just into NC, you have Kerr Lake recreational area part of NC state parks. We absolutely loved Bullocksville Campground with many of the sites right on the lake. There were beautiful sunsets over the lake each night. NC also has the Outerbanks. We enjoyed staying at Hatteras Sands. If you go just before Memorial Day you won't have all the traffic/tourists and the weather is perfect. Hatteras Sands has a sister campground called American Heritage in Williamsburg, which is another option for you.

Mama Gerties Moutain Hideway outside of Asheville, NC has some unique sites on top of the mountain, with great views. It puts you close to the Blue Ridge Parkway, waterfalls, Cherokee and Biltmore.

You can also go north to Lancaster, PA. We stayed at Country Acres. There is a really neat train museum nearby. Across the road from the museum you can get on a train and take a ride through some Amish Country farms. If you eat out, go to Miller's Smorgasbord. I have been thinking of their chicken and waffles ever sense we were there!
    Mark, Linda and Riley (RIP 6/17/20)
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn Dually LB
    B&W Companion hitch

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe a bit further, but check out Lancaster, PA. A huge variety of Penn. Dutch things to do, several amusement parks (even if Hershey, PA is more than you are looking for). Steam trains, buggy tours, etc., etc.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three places I found this fall you might be interested in are Natural Chimneys Park in Augusta, Va, Roan Mountain State park in Roan Mountain. Tn. and Floating Mill Park on Center Hill Lake in Tennessee
    https://www.co.augusta.va.us/governm...tural-chimneys
    https://tnstateparks.com/parks/campground/roan-mountain
    https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232589
    Natural Chimney's is a good place to let kids run in warmer months as there are not only the Chimneys to explore but playground and pool.
    If you do go to Roan Mountain look for Smokey Mountain Bakers in the town. A drive up the mountain will take you to the Rhododendron Garden if your there in summer and the Appalachian Trail goes through the Pisgah and Cherokee National Forests right there.
    Center Hill lake is a great place to fish either from the campground on the lake or spectacular trout on the Caney Fork River below the dam. There is another campground just below the dam, on the river that was booked up by the time I went to look.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 11-21-2019 at 03:53 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GNCC621 View Post
    Well thanks to all for the info. It looks like I got a lot of research to do now. I have looked at some of the places mentioned above. Always good to here from others for confirmation. When our kids have spring break we normally like to go some where warm to do water actives. Any one know places in GA / FL ?
    Last week I was at Blyth Island County park near Brunswick, Ga. A really nice campground, the site map doesn't do it justice, with spots spread out and lots of vegetation between. I had a view of the lakes at my spot. Jekyll Island is a short drive over the bridge. It's a about a half hour to the beaches and town at Saint Simons Island. If you get there try Southern Soul BBQ. It gets packed at lunchtime.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 11-21-2019 at 03:47 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast