Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Optimum amount of water in black tank for sanitizer

I have a 2018 REFLECTION 28BHS. What is the minimum amount of water to put in the tank with the sanitizer tabs? The shape of the tank is important as it will define what will “fill it” to the minimum amount. Does anyone have experience/knowledge of this?
    Charlie and Sandy
    2018 28 BH Reflection
    2022 Ram Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins, pullrite superglide

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about your size of black tank, nor shape, but we have always used 2 gallons of water with sanitizer (Happy Camper) for tanks over 40 gallons after draining, back flushing .

In our truck camp, 1 gallon (Smaller 22 gallon tank in our new Lance)
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say sanitize tabs, do you mean tank treatment chemicals or are you really sanitizing? The former is a pretty universal recommendation of 3 to 5 gallons depending on shape and if using natural treatment methods versus packaged liquids/tablets/sacks. If the latter, most sanitizing methods are full tank and dwell time, and generally with warm to hot water.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As @geotex1 mention, if its just to prep the blak tank we also use between 3-5 gallons.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for your input. We just want to minimize water for boondocking.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyis123! View Post
    I have a 2018 REFLECTION 28BHS. What is the minimum amount of water to put in the tank with the sanitizer tabs? The shape of the tank is important as it will define what will “fill it” to the minimum amount. Does anyone have experience/knowledge of this?
    Charlie
    Forget the fancy chemicals. I pre-charge my tank before every trip with 1 cup Dawn liquid dish soap and 5 gallons of water. The dawn slicks up the tank - helping prevent the pile, and does a very good job on stink control and makes dumping easier. Us only Dawn as the others don't work as well.

One other thing you can add is a Tide laundry pod if you really want to clean things up during travel. I do this if the tank is 1/2 full or more and I am traveling that day (no dump station available) like might happen if your boon docking. The detergent really helps to break things up.

I haven't used fancy chemicals in years.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar