User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is your drinking water safe? What is your drinking water system?

We are using a filter from the spigot to our XLS 23bhe, but want additional filtration to ensure the water from the tanks is safe to drink.

Instead of using a Brita in the fridge, I was thinking of installing an under sink filtration system (see link below)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NDXVPC9...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Has anyone installed one themselves? If so, any issues with water pressure or longevity of the filters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michark0906 View Post
    We are using a filter from the spigot to our XLS 23bhe, but want additional filtration to ensure the water from the tanks is safe to drink.

Instead of using a Brita in the fridge, I was thinking of installing an under sink filtration system (see link below)

Has anyone installed one themselves? If so, any issues with water pressure or longevity of the filters?

I wouldn't recommend an RO system. It wastes up to 60% of the water it "filters". I put in a two stage filter in the basement, next to the wet bay. I'll edit this post with the link to my mod for it.

EDIT: Here is the link to my post: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...e-Water-filter

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MoonShadow_1911; 07-08-2021 at 08:57 PM.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    I wouldn't recommend an RO system. It wastes up to 60% of the water it "filters". I put in a two stage filter in the basement, next to the wet bay. I'll edit this post with the link to my mod for it.

EDIT: Here is the link to my post: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...e-Water-filter

Thanks MoonShadow. I believe what I was suggesting was not an RO system, but I could have read the description in the link wrong. It looked to be a similar setup that you have in the basement of your rig.

BTW, nice installation.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MoonShadow. I believe what I was suggesting was not an RO system, but I could have read the description in the link wrong. It looked to be a similar setup that you have in the basement of your rig.

BTW, nice installation.

Okay, it does look like that is a filtration system, I didn't read it completely when I glanced at it.

The one problem I see with something only at the kitchen sink is, what about the rest of the water system? A bunch of RV parks and campgrounds have well water. A system at the kitchen sink does nothing for filtering sediment out if the rest of the system, possibly leading to clogs in the other faucets and toilet. The other question I would ask us, do you brush your teeth in the bathroom and rinse your mouth out with that water? We chose to do a whole coach solution since we didn't want the sediment mucking with everything else. Just my 2 cents, adjusted for inflation.

Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Okay, it does look like that is a filtration system, I didn't read it completely when I glanced at it.

The one problem I see with something only at the kitchen sink is, what about the rest of the water system? A bunch of RV parks and campgrounds have well water. A system at the kitchen sink does nothing for filtering sediment out if the rest of the system, possibly leading to clogs in the other faucets and toilet. The other question I would ask us, do you brush your teeth in the bathroom and rinse your mouth out with that water? We chose to do a whole coach solution since we didn't want the sediment mucking with everything else. Just my 2 cents, adjusted for inflation.

A filtration system does not make the water safe for drinking if it’s contaminated . Ro systems should be installed for drinking water if your are worried. At least a 2 stage carbon and sediment filer for the whole rig. Ro removes Salts and nitrates.
    Heavy metals like copper and lead.
    Reduces mineral content from hard water.
    Some organic chemicals like fluoride, which is added to tap water.
    Protozoa such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium.
    Viruses like Hepatitis A, Norovirus, and Rotavirus.
    Effective at removing bacteria such as Salmonella, Shigella, and E. coli.
    Reduces arsenic.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My setup is in post #4 of Moonshadow's link. I couldn't stomach the cost of pre-fab triple filter housings so bought three housings from Amazon and tied them together myself. I use a 3 filter pack from Clearaource with 5, .5, and virus filters.

All water is filtered into the rig, and I used semi-permanent pex link to water inlet so I can filter water when filling fresh water tank.

Water tastes better than home with this setup.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    James and Dawn
    2019 F150 SCREW 3.5EB 6.5' - Haloview MC7109; Cooper AT3 LTX; Sumo Springs; ProPride WDH

2021 Imagine 2400BH - GY Endurance 225/75-15; MORryde CRE3000, HD shackles and wet bolts, X-factor crossmembers

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of the 189 places we've stayed in the past six years, none of them have had water systems that weren't tested and approved by the appropriate local authority. As long as your RV fresh water tank and system are sanitized, the water is safe. We use the whole-house filter in our Solitude (keep a carbon filter cartridge in it) and a filter pitcher in the fridge for cold drinking water and to make coffee and cook with (the second filtering with a carbon filter helps with any taste issues). The last water or food related illness I had was in Somalia in 1982.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a filter for the whole water system, but use a Berkey water filter for drinking and cooking. We use one at home as well. Even our dogs drink Berkey water, in fact, if it isnt Berkey water, one of the dogs wont touch the water.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be installing an Aquasana 3-stage under sink filter I purchased at Home Depot in our TT next week. Already purchased it just need to bring the trailer home to install. We have been using a Brita pitcher and want to ditch it and the water jugs we bring for coffee water. I'll report back on the install when I am done.

We are not installing because we believe water to be unsafe but because water in most places just doesn't taste good.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Aquasana...0-56/204406508
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Of the 189 places we've stayed in the past six years, none of them have had water systems that weren't tested and approved by the appropriate local authority. As long as your RV fresh water tank and system are sanitized, the water is safe. We use the whole-house filter in our Solitude (keep a carbon filter cartridge in it) and a filter pitcher in the fridge for cold drinking water and to make coffee and cook with (the second filtering with a carbon filter helps with any taste issues). The last water or food related illness I had was in Somalia in 1982.

Rob
    X2 on this! All commercial (and most home) water supply systems are under some Federal, State or Local mandate to be tested for safety, regularly. Safe water can have a different taste, smell or appearance than you may be used to from somewhere else. Even Flint, Michigan was tested - but there found to be unsafe.
    Add on systems may improve on it, but aren't really needed unless you find you object to it for the non-safety reasons (too many minerals, taste, etc.).

Worry A LOT more about that chicken in the fridge, or the salad, than the water. That is were you really, really need to be careful.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast