User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane Hog View Post
    Need or want?...I don't think its warranted on that short of a trailer, but it will pull smoother with one.

It's a 4600 lb trailer, and your truck weighs over 6000 lbs. You might be fine with a standard receiver hitch rated above 5,000 lbs. The step bumper hitch is a nonstarter.

The F150 with max tow plus the Ecoboost and the right axle is usually good for a 10,000 lb trailer and a hitch weight of at least 1000 lbs. Simply saying F150 will get you all sorts of answers that might be completely wrong.
    The issue is not tongue weight or towing capacity. He's OK with that truck. The issue is the weight that is removed from the front end when you hitch up. That has to be replaced. Most truck manuals give specific directions on setting WD. Unless Ford has changed, the WD should be adjusted to 1/2 of the wheel well height between hitched and unhitched. Don't ask e how they cam up with those numbers.
    Keep in mind that the purpose of WD is to return weight to the front end, not to level the truck and trailer. If you feel you have to level, you can do it several different ways, keeping in mind that none of it will increase your payload or towing capacity.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep in mind that some (not all) WD hitches have some sort of sway control as well, which is even more important with a lighter trailer.

So yes, as others have said, get a WD hitch if some kind. I have an Equal-I-zer but pro pride and blue ox are good, plus many others. You’ll find a plethora of information/opinions on the topic around here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trailer will pull better with a WD hitch.

I started out with round bar hitch on my first RV. The WD bars pop into the hitch from the bottom and connect to the trailer with a chain that has to be levered into place. Then you install a separate anti-sway bar that you need to remove before backing up. It actually worked very well for towing, but it was a bit of a hassle connecting and disconnecting.

I've switched to an Equal-I-zer. Its more expensive but easier.
    Steve & Sheryl
    Bucca and Nyx RIP-Tag and Gordon
    2019 Imagine 2250RK
    Ford F250

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane Hog View Post
    It's a 4600 lb trailer,
    Just a comment about this weight: From the factory, yes, the trailer is just under 4700 pounds but start packing for trips and owners will find themselves closer to the ~6400 max. Also, the factory tongue weight is ~460 pounds or so, but adding propane, a battery, the usual stuff in the pass-through, plus stuff in the trailer and it'll likely be in the 700+lb range. That's a lot of weight behind the truck and on the hitch (which leverages weight off of the front end of the truck without the weight distribution set-up). <edit for clarity, at least to me>

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the hitch rating w/o using a weight distribution hitch?
    Personally, I wouldn't tow a trailer with a 1/2-ton without a WD hitch and sway bars.
    We came across northern AZ and hit 30MPH crosswinds with gusts to 50MPH. I'm 1) glad I had a 3/4-ton truck and 2) still used the WD hitch from my F150.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    If you fill it up, it could end up having close to 700 pounds on the tongue. Crawl under your truck, and see what the limits for the receiver are with and without a WD hitch...(on the sticker on the underside of the receiver).
    But to save you the effort, as others have posted - YES, you will need a WD hitch
    Don't forget about sway. A good WD hitch will also help a lot with sway.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve & Sheryl View Post
    The trailer will pull better with a WD hitch.

I started out with round bar hitch on my first RV. The WD bars pop into the hitch from the bottom and connect to the trailer with a chain that has to be levered into place. Then you install a separate anti-sway bar that you need to remove before backing up. It actually worked very well for towing, but it was a bit of a hassle connecting and disconnecting.

I've switched to an Equal-I-zer. Its more expensive but easier.
    Fastway is also good, and maybe a little less expensive than Equalizer.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2020 17mke and a 2021 F150 with the tow package. I also use a wd hitch. It pulls like a dream. I don't think it's necessary but I recommend using the wd hitch.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good. I wont be buying a 2k hitch like the Propride one. will try to find one that is easy to use and lightweight.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alikair View Post
    Thinking I would like to buy a 17mke and wondering what kind of hitch I need. Tow vehicle will be a F150 with max tow package.
    Yes!! Tongue weight of mine is 960 lbs when loaded for a trip. If you don't have one see if you can borrow a scale and weigh your tongue when you are loaded for a trip. I don't know why the tongue is so heavy on a 17MKE (at least mine) when loaded. I guess two full propane tanks, two 6V batteries, and all the tools and supplies in the pass through add up.

FWIW - I have the Anderson WD hitch. Only weighs around 60 lbs.
    Last edited by GaryS1964; 07-13-2021 at 02:23 PM.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast