User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Billn59 View Post
    ... With a full 36 gallon tank I shouldn’t have to maneuver it into a station. ...
    If you can find a Sunoco station before you pick the trailer up, the premium unleaded is usually 100% gas there. I have the same truck as you and the 100% gas gets me about 30 miles of additional range (highway) over the ethanol blend fuel.
    2021 Imagine 2400BH
    2018 F-150, 3.5EB, 6.5ft bed, Max Tow Pkg, Equalizer 4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so used to getting close to 700 miles on a full tank without towing so I'll plan on a fuel stop. My biggest worry at this point is getting to a point where I'll have to back up. I need lots of practice.
    I practiced backing into a parking spot at a local grade school. On the weekend or evening it should be open for you to play around.
    I have a 2020 2670mk. Out ride home was anything but fun... swayed too much. That was with it empty and towed with a f150 v8. Get some weight on the tongue as others have said. Sway control will be important. Towing now with f250 and ProPride hitch. Amazing difference. Stay calm.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm so used to getting close to 700 miles on a full tank without towing so I'll plan on a fuel stop. My biggest worry at this point is getting to a point where I'll have to back up. I need lots of practice.
    Worst case... find someplace safe to unhitch. Leave the DW or someone with the trailer. Get gas and go back hitch up.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mine is an older version of that model, with an older version of that truck. Mine was excessively light on the tongue. With no load, it can be pretty prone to sway. Can't say if the new ones are better, so exercise caution. Keep a close eye on your mirrors, and if you see the tail peeking out one side, then moving to the other, SLOW DOWN. To help, if you can at all, fill the fresh water tank before leaving the dealer. It is ahead of the wheels, and can help get some weight on the tongue. Make sure the trailer is hitched slightly nose down before leaving the dealer (not a lot, just not level or nose up). While Ford says 50% weight transfer to the front is fine, set your hitch to get closer to 100%. Before hitching measure height for the front wheel wells. After hitching, measure again and set the weight distribution to get back to the same height. Both hitch settings noted will help a lot to reduce wind push and truck suck.
    If you do get more than the minor sway noted above, use the brake controller to apply the trailer brakes NOT your truck brakes to slow down.
    If the trip home was uneventful, yippie! If not....well, in either case you can come back here for advice on how to fine tune or correct any issues that may have cropped up.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GregTheLeg View Post
    If you can find a Sunoco station before you pick the trailer up, the premium unleaded is usually 100% gas there. I have the same truck as you and the 100% gas gets me about 30 miles of additional range (highway) over the ethanol blend fuel.
    Most of my route will be I-10 in west Texas. Plenty of Sunoco's here. Found a couple that looks like easy access. There is also a Flying J with RV pumps about 70 miles from home. The Dealer is just west of San Antonio on an I-10 service rd. I won't have to go through any Metro areas.
    2019 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
    Pro Pride 3P #1400
    2024 F-350 Lariat Crew Cab Shortbed, 4110 payload.
    6.7 Diesel, Ult Lariat, 5th wheel prep, Block heater, iconic Silver.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Mine is an older version of that model, with an older version of that truck. Mine was excessively light on the tongue. With no load, it can be pretty prone to sway. Can't say if the new ones are better, so exercise caution. Keep a close eye on your mirrors, and if you see the tail peeking out one side, then moving to the other, SLOW DOWN. To help, if you can at all, fill the fresh water tank before leaving the dealer. It is ahead of the wheels, and can help get some weight on the tongue. Make sure the trailer is hitched slightly nose down before leaving the dealer (not a lot, just not level or nose up). While Ford says 50% weight transfer to the front is fine, set your hitch to get closer to 100%. Before hitching measure height for the front wheel wells. After hitching, measure again and set the weight distribution to get back to the same height. Both hitch settings noted will help a lot to reduce wind push and truck suck.
    If you do get more than the minor sway noted above, use the brake controller to apply the trailer brakes NOT your truck brakes to slow down.
    If the trip home was uneventful, yippie! If not....well, in either case you can come back here for advice on how to fine tune or correct any issues that may have cropped up.
    @Billn59 sande005 is providing excellent empirical advice. My hitch was set up by the dealer based on some kind of dealer standards, not the correct standards. The tow home with the 2670 was terrible. Check the dealer set up to make sure it is correct. Follow sande005's advice about adding water to fresh tank and towing attitude of the trailer. The 2670 has different towing characteristics than better balanced trailers, my 2670 was tail heavy and needed 12-13% tongue weight after WD was applied. Best wishes, Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmartinmn View Post
    @Billn59 sande005 is providing excellent empirical advice. My hitch was set up by the dealer based on some kind of dealer standards, not the correct standards. The tow home with the 2670 was terrible. Check the dealer set up to make sure it is correct. Follow sande005's advice about adding water to fresh tank and towing attitude of the trailer. The 2670 has different towing characteristics than better balanced trailers, my 2670 was tail heavy and needed 12-13% tongue weight after WD was applied. Best wishes, Frank.
    Except that adding fresh water can be a double edged sword. The sloshing can move the trailer
    Also I am not in the camp of nose down. My trailer is perfectly level which puts equal weight on both axles. Ymmv

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymurgist View Post
    Worst case... find someplace safe to unhitch. Leave the DW or someone with the trailer. Get gas and go back hitch up.
    Great advice! One of the worst things to happen when you are already stressed is to get into a situation where getting out of a gas station is tight or you need to back out.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe breakdown the stresses into bite-sized portions. Focus on learning to tow safely and focus on fueling up with no difficulties on this trip. Ask a friend, neighbor and/or camping acquaintance to meet you at home to be available to back it in for you this time if it doesn’t go well this first time.

You can then hitch up and head out another day to find the parking lot to practice in.
    John & Mary
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn Limited - Mega Cab; 6.7L Cummins; SB; DRW; 4X4; Aisin; 4.10
    Curt A20 Slider

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Except that adding fresh water can be a double edged sword. The sloshing can move the trailer
    Also I am not in the camp of nose down. My trailer is perfectly level which puts equal weight on both axles. Ymmv

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew

You are so right about keeping the trailer level. Unlevel means putting more weight on two tires. This could overload those tires causing them to overheat and even have them blow out.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast