User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used RV Sales Still Hot in AZ - Grand Design Selling Well

We have been looking for a used fifth wheel for about 12 months. We just bought a 2017 29RS yesterday. It came on craigslist and we were the first to go and take a look at it. The owner was asking $36,950 and would not take a penny less than the $36,000 we paid. Last Sunday, we were the first to look at a 2016 Open Range Light. At 35 feet, it was just longer than we wanted. It sold the next day for $32,000. Yesterday, we looked at the 29RS that we bought and a 2017 RL. We were also the first to look at the 27RL. As noted, we bought the 29RS as we preferred its layout and condition vs. the 27RL. The next person to look at the 27RL bought it for $33,500.

NADA average retail for the 2017 29RS was $31,500. I did not enjoy paying so much over book (not that book is the be all end all), but the unit had been stored in a fully enclosed RV garage and used only 3 times by an elderly couple. He had lost some strength and agility and they just we not able to use the unit as they had hoped when they bought it 2017. So the unit looked brand new with a pristine roof and no sun fading on the sides whatsoever. The unit had no real upgrades to speak of except the second AC on the front. The rest is pretty much all stock. With 2022 Reflections hitting RV dealer lots at over $60K with minimal dealer discounting, we just bit the bullet and paid up as we were sure he would get his price given that the unit looked brand new.

Wicked Ace, I see your 2019 260RD in the for sale section. Maybe you need a trip out to AZ for a quick sale?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on the condition of the trailer as well as the current market, I'd say you got a very fair deal. Also, I'm betting the trailers that were built in 2017 are of better quality and construction than the current crop coming off the assembly line.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Based on the condition of the trailer as well as the current market, I'd say you got a very fair deal. Also, I'm betting the trailers that were built in 2017 are of better quality and construction than the current crop coming off the assembly line.
    We were specifically targeting used models that were built before the RV mania started in 2020 for the reason that you cited. The current component shortages and other stresses in producing units in unprecedented volumes made us nervous about ordering a brand new unit, although I imagine only a small % of brand new units will be impacted by the current stretched production environment. We mainly did not want to spend the big bucks for an ordered unit. In AZ, we also save a few thousand when buying from a private party vs. dealer because the private party deal has no sales tax (about 7% in AZ). Also, in AZ vehicle registration can be expensive for a new RV. Registration fees decline 16% each year, so a 2017 model year has registration that is only about 50% of the registration cost of brand new unit.

Outside of cost factors, we also like the front section of the older Reflections with the wardrobe slide and dual-entry bath set-up. The trade-off vs. the newer Reflections is higher pin weight and a bit of a pinch in cargo capacity. Our 29RS has a GVWR of 9995 and an unloaded brochure weight of 8515. About 1500 pounds of cargo capacity is not that much. We don't load super heavy, but I think we will definitely want to travel with no more than half a tank of fresh water and the waste tanks empty.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting how different states handle taxes and annual registration. In Texas tax is charged on any trailer transaction, private or dealer at approx 6.25%, and paid at the time when new title is applied for. Annual registration (license plate renewal) is the same regardless of age, and is based on weight of trailer. I think my Reflection is about $100/yr.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, wish AZ did something similar for tags but it is based on an assessed value of 60 percent of the manufacturer's base retail price reduced by 16.25 percent for each year since the vehicle was first registered in. Think my previous trailer was about $900 a year. Will be interesting to see what the tags are for the 350G when it gets to the dealer here shortly.
    2022 Momentum 350G - all upgrades minus 3 season doors
    2020 F350 Lariat Sport 6.7 CCLB FX4 - 3.5" Carli Pintop Suspension System - Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 w/Wireless One - 68 Gallon S&B Fuel Tank
    2022 CanAm Maverick X3 Max X RS Turbo RR w/Smart-Shox (on order)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MSRP for that unit is about 100K. So you are looking at about $1680 for initial registration as the AZ formula works out to 1.68% of MSRP to start then declining by 16.25% each year, as you noted above. These high annual registration numbers are why many form Montana LLCs or try other techniques to get away from this registration burden. Imagine if you bought a 400K diesel pusher for registration in AZ?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ea, my base is $72606. Not subject to all the increases that have happened after I ordered it. Should be about $1200 or so but not sure what it will be for sure until I see what they put on the paper. That's kind of why I said it'll be interesting because I don't know what they will want to put down. Yea, wouldn't want to register a rig that was $400k here that's for sure!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the 100K MSRP from this link:https://www.lazydays.com/rvs/elkhart...hoCDqkQAvD_BwE

You did well to buy when you did if your MSRP is down in the 72K area. These RVs are going up in price as fast as houses. I am not sure how my college age kids will ever be able to buy a home. We are seeing $300 to $500 per square foot in the northeast Valley area.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by my12by60 View Post
    I got the 100K MSRP from this link:https://www.lazydays.com/rvs/elkhart...hoCDqkQAvD_BwE

You did well to buy when you did if your MSRP is down in the 72K area. These RVs are going up in price as fast as houses. I am not sure how my college age kids will ever be able to buy a home. We are seeing $300 to $500 per square foot in the northeast Valley area.
    Yea, figured you obviously didn't know what we paid. Glad we ordered it when we did because things are just crazy with the continual increases. We had been looking for awhile and glad we pulled the trigger when we did. Prices can change in a year or so (don't know if they will) but we still got 23% off MSRP, which was the best we could find here in AZ, without having to order out of state.

Home prices are so crazy but have started to see prices stay flat and more inventory. We sold our home in October thinking we killed it, which we actually did since we did not know how things would end up increasing. If only I had a crystal ball to let me know to wait 6 more months ha!
    2022 Momentum 350G - all upgrades minus 3 season doors
    2020 F350 Lariat Sport 6.7 CCLB FX4 - 3.5" Carli Pintop Suspension System - Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 w/Wireless One - 68 Gallon S&B Fuel Tank
    2022 CanAm Maverick X3 Max X RS Turbo RR w/Smart-Shox (on order)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you going to full-time in the new Momentum since you sold your home?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast