User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As far as exporting - generally what is exported are the start and stop points, plus any specific waypoints you added to the route. Then the new device calculates it's own "best route" between them. Which may be different than what RV Trip Wizard shows. Google just connected the dots, without doing any routing. My Garmin accepts the import, but then decides how I should get from point A to B. I'm no expert, but over several devices for several purposes, I have yet to find a setup that will actually export/import an exact route, unless within the same "family" of devices/software.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    As far as exporting - generally what is exported are the start and stop points, plus any specific waypoints you added to the route. Then the new device calculates it's own "best route" between them. Which may be different than what RV Trip Wizard shows. Google just connected the dots, without doing any routing. My Garmin accepts the import, but then decides how I should get from point A to B. I'm no expert, but over several devices for several purposes, I have yet to find a setup that will actually export/import an exact route, unless within the same "family" of devices/software.
    That is the gist of it. The GPX export file contains points only. After you have brought it into Google My Maps you can create a route layer with the points. Creating a route is a product of the navigation platform and cannot be exported or imported.

As for the wonky lines shown by the OP, when I removed all my waypoints from the RV Trip Wizard route my funny lines disappeared. I don't think waypoints export very well.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jims94vmx View Post
    I will be traveling in 5 weeks and started to plan my trip. Using rv trip wizard and sending to Google's my maps. Get straight lines. Not following the roads?

And there life app says I can view my planned trip so I could use their mapping gps.....could not figure that out on my S10e.

Also seems I can plan route using windows laptop but my android tablet would not work. Close to getting Garmin rv.....

Attachment 36068
    I use the RV Trip Wizard web site extensively to plan trips. But not so much to plan the route; although it does plan good routes. And I use the iPhone RVLife app to reference the trips but not the routing.

I use a Garmin RV760 for routing. A few reasons....
    • the RVLife is pretty basic and very limiting;
    • Google maps, Apple maps, Waze are all NOT RV friendly directions;
    • I like my iPhone free to use for other things while traveling (music, WAZE alerts, weather, weather radar, windy conditions, etc.... - when driving the navigator is in charge of these things);
    • All the nice features the RV GPS has (time/speed/distance, elevation profile, turns, alerts, etc....)

But..... if you still want to export an RV Trip Wizard route from the web based app to the RVLife app you have to export it as a CSV file, then go to an on line file converter (such as this one: https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/conver...ert_output=gpx) and then import that file into Google Maps. It all seems like too much trouble to me....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisK View Post
    I use RV Trip Wizard to plan all of my trips and then open them in the RV Life app and navigate using the RV Safe GPS. I’ve never had a bad route. I don’t see the point in using Google Maps as they don’t provide RV safe directions, to the best of my knowledge.
    Perhaps I should add all of the above is done with iOS devices or on a MacBook Pro.
    Ditto to Dennis, we just use it on our phones and compare it to our garmin and chevy GPS, works awesome across the US.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    You load the RV Life App. Then pull up the menu from the bottom of the screen. One of the options is RV Trip Wizard - Access trips you've already planned. then on the next screen select the trip you would like to open and navigate.

Attachment 36124Attachment 36125
    Funny, I tried it again and that screen was there. Was not there the day before. Thanks.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the input. The last trips I planned using rvtw showed fine when exporting to my maps. I copied and pasted my turns and sent to my wife as a text.
    She then told me the next turn while I used Google maps on trucks large screen.

I like seeing as much as possible and get warnings like speed traps or traffic.

Still kicking around an rv specific gps. The 780 and 890 are 100 off on many sites. Blowing them out for a newer model I suspect.

Thanks.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be nice if RVTW would make their platform compatible with Android Auto and Apple Carplay. With more and more head units having this feature, it would be a great integration. For me, with Android Auto, Google Maps is now my navigation in my truck. Never need any map updates.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    It would be nice if RVTW would make their platform compatible with Android Auto and Apple Carplay. With more and more head units having this feature, it would be a great integration. For me, with Android Auto, Google Maps is now my navigation in my truck. Never need any map updates.
    Does Google Maps in your Android Auto route you in a manner that accounts for the height of your Momentum?
    Dennis, Pat, Prince and the Lady - Western New York
    2018 Solitude 310GK- 2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW - Blue Ox Super Ride

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does Google Maps in your Android Auto route you in a manner that accounts for the height of your Momentum?
    No. Google Maps in AA is great for everyday navigation. Fortunately, for now, I stick to main highways and don't worry about a height issue. I haven't tried with RVTW, but I do know when I create a route in Google Maps desktop and save it, when I open it on my phone, it will default to the quickest route and ignore the route changes I made.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NO. Google maps or Android Auto has no customization for vehicle characteristics.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12