User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dish or Direct?

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or, suffer the wait and go Starlink when roaming is open for all. Unfortunately, receiver components are all made overseas and supply chain problems and chip shortages have not allowed the user expansion schedule follow as planned and a lot more birds have to go up before roaming open to all versus within beam. I can say as a beta, I'm very impressed by everything about it from simple setup no matter where through the excellent connectivity!

That said, or maybe better as the other Rob said, Dish is your only option where you don't have connectivity. Also, it's not as difficult to get setup as one poster mentioned anymore with Dish haven't reoriented what is carried by which satellites. Most everything you want is on 2 bird now instead of 3, which matters because the carryout dishes are small making that hard for them. Now you just need a clear line of sight and let the Pathway work. There are several excellent Dish pointing apps that can help you find the sight line you need.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look at it from a performance, usage and cost perspective. My RV needs might be only 15-30 days a year and spread over 6-8 months. Some of the areas I plan on camping at might have very limited cellular coverage. Heck, at my house in rural Tennessee I'm lucking to get 2 bars signal strength. I want a service that I can depend on and as cheap as possible. Since my current service (Hulu) at home is about the same as Dish I can switch and add-on Dish Outdoors service (RV) for $5 per month.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can cut off the Dish service month by month if you happen to not do any RVing in Winter. You only pay for the months you're using the system.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    King with Directv. 7 a month. Just added a receiver to my home. You can get a winegaurd for 2000 that is automatic and will catch had with directv.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do most people buy the portable antenna instead of mounting on the roof?

If you place the antenna other than the roof do you secure it for the night and then set it up again in the morning?

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    Do most people buy the portable antenna instead of mounting on the roof?

If you place the antenna other than the roof do you secure it for the night and then set it up again in the morning?
    It depends on the types of places you camp and what part of the country you're in. If you're in the east and around a lot of trees, there will be places that a roof-mounted antenna will not get a clear shot at the satellites due to the trees. In the southwest, that's not nearly as much of a problem. No - I do not put the antenna up every night. I use one or two steel security cables and a padlock to secure the antenna. I also use an antenna tripod designed for the Pathway X2 to keep it up off the ground.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    It depends on the types of places you camp and what part of the country you're in. If you're in the east and around a lot of trees, there will be places that a roof-mounted antenna will not get a clear shot at the satellites due to the trees. In the southwest, that's not nearly as much of a problem. No - I do not put the antenna up every night. I use one or two steel security cables and a padlock to secure the antenna. I also use an antenna tripod designed for the Pathway X2 to keep it up off the ground.

Rob
    I share the same view as @Second Chance. A roof-mount would be utterly useless in 90 percent of our campsites and style of camping. Up until the YouTube-camper popularity rise and influx into the subculture, we NEVER did anything to secure our carryout. Neither did anyone else! However, theft is increasing in leaps and bounds. I recently had a conversation with a Park Ranger, and due to the impacts of COVID-19 they have not had enough resources to man gate houses at the parks and now they have outsiders drive in and "go shopping" while people are out day-tripping. He shared that they has 15 shore power cables stole in a single day! I guess with copper north of $3/#...

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    I share the same view as @Second Chance. A roof-mount would be utterly useless in 90 percent of our campsites and style of camping. Up until the YouTube-camper popularity rise and influx into the subculture, we NEVER did anything to secure our carryout. Neither did anyone else! However, theft is increasing in leaps and bounds. I recently had a conversation with a Park Ranger, and due to the impacts of COVID-19 they have not had enough resources to man gate houses at the parks and now they have outsiders drive in and "go shopping" while people are out day-tripping. He shared that they has 15 shore power cables stole in a single day! I guess with copper north of $3/#...
    Wow, that certainly opens my eyes about theft. This past June we traveled to Oregon from the Midwest, staying each night in RV parks. Usually set up our dish tripod. Never once locked anything except the camper door if we were gone or at night while sleeping. I can see this happening, though. We're going to have be more careful. I guess we do lock our "Power Watch Dog" surge protector at the box. Use a gun cable lock for that.
    2015 Solitude 320x
    2023 GMC 3500HD SRW Duramax long box
    B&W companion hitch non-slider

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post

Rob
    Thanks for the feedback!

With the direction our nation is going I'm sure theft will increase and campgrounds are probably easy pickins. That's why my first inclination is to mount the antenna on the roof. But the more I learn about these antennas the more I realize a portable means better performance overall. I would imagine a good thief would carry tools like bolt/cable cutters though. I probably wouldn't sleep well if I didn't lock-up the high value items that are sitting outside the camper.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!

With the direction our nation is going I'm sure theft will increase and campgrounds are probably easy pickins. That's why my first inclination is to mount the antenna on the roof. But the more I learn about these antennas the more I realize a portable means better performance overall. I would imagine a good thief would carry tools like bolt/cable cutters though. I probably wouldn't sleep well if I didn't lock-up the high value items that are sitting outside the camper.
    Sleep well at night after having a discussion with your insurance agent. Know what your policy includes, and if you aren't covered a personal articles policy is inexpensive.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast