User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AC not as cold as I think it should be

Still testing out me new Grand Design Momentum 31G before taking our first trip. I turned the AC on about 2 hours ago and set it to 75 degrees. The temp in the trailer at that time was 85 and the outside temp is 87. In that 2 hours it has only went down to 80 degrees in the trailer. Sticking a thermometer in the vent shows air coming out at 59 degrees. Should it get cooler than that? Not sure what would happen if it were really hot outside.
    Thanks Steve

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If an A/C unit has a 20 degree differential between the return air at the point of entering the A/C unit, and the outlet air at the output of the unit, it is working well. Output air temperature is dependent on the temperature of the return air coming into it. So as the temperature of the room cools down, the output air will also be cooler that when previously tested.....that is the 20 degree temperature differential that you should be seeing. And I said 20 degrees differential; a good rule of thumb would be 18-20 degrees.
    Last edited by xrated; 09-07-2021 at 05:46 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your Mometum 31G just has a single AC, it will be very difficult to get the temperatures you want in a poorly insulated box. Our 297rsts, about the same size as your TT,. has 2 15K AC`s that work hard on a humid 95 degree day to keep our poorly insulated box at 76 degrees. Closing blinds and finding shaded sites helps a lot.
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As @xrated pointed out, your air conditioning is working well! In fact, surpasses the spec for both Dometic and Coleman differential @xrated's differential is better than the manufacturers' service specs). Step back a take the perspective of letting your sticks and bricks equilbrate to that mid-80s ambient air temperature. A central air conditioning unit would we working hard to bring that down 10 degrees too. The units don't have rapid cooling capability like automotive air conditioners. If you have just a single unit, you will find it a struggle on hot and humid trips.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If possible, get a head start on the day by running the AC at night.... In fact crank it down as low as it will go all night, and day. This will help compensate for the increased heat gain that will occur in the daytime.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your help, this answers my question perfectly! I'll leave the AC on as much as possible and probably add a second AC next year.

Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    If an A/C unit has a 20 degree differential between the return air at the point of entering the A/C unit, and the outlet air at the output of the unit, it is working well. Output air temperature is dependent on the temperature of the return air coming into it. So as the temperature of the room cools down, the output air will also be cooler that when previously tested.....that is the 20 degree temperature differential that you should be seeing. And I said 20 degrees differential; a good rule of thumb would be 18-20 degrees.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lovells View Post
    If your Mometum 31G just has a single AC, it will be very difficult to get the temperatures you want in a poorly insulated box. Our 297rsts, about the same size as your TT,. has 2 15K AC`s that work hard on a humid 95 degree day to keep our poorly insulated box at 76 degrees. Closing blinds and finding shaded sites helps a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    As @xrated pointed out, your air conditioning is working well! In fact, surpasses the spec for both Dometic and Coleman differential @xrated's differential is better than the manufacturers' service specs). Step back a take the perspective of letting your sticks and bricks equilbrate to that mid-80s ambient air temperature. A central air conditioning unit would we working hard to bring that down 10 degrees too. The units don't have rapid cooling capability like automotive air conditioners. If you have just a single unit, you will find it a struggle on hot and humid trips.
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    If possible, get a head start on the day by running the AC at night.... In fact crank it down as low as it will go all night, and day. This will help compensate for the increased heat gain that will occur in the daytime.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevej72 View Post
    Thank you all for your help, this answers my question perfectly! I'll leave the AC on as much as possible and probably add a second AC next year.
    Do you have 30 amp or 50 amp service?
    With 50 it is easy. With 30, it may be possible to run 2 ACs, but not always so easy. It can most likely be done though, there are a variety of ways to do it. If you have 30, that is a whole nother thread to discuss/ debate the solution that would work for you
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Do you have 30 amp or 50 amp service?
    With 50 it is easy. With 30, it may be possible to run 2 ACs, but not always so easy. It can most likely be done though, there are a variety of ways to do it. If you have 30, that is a whole nother thread to discuss/ debate the solution that would work for you
    Unfortunately I only have 30 amp. I didn't do enough research prior to buying. Ultimately will probably lose a lot of money to get what works for us.
    Steve & Lori, Billings, MT
    Mini Schnauzer: Jake
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2014 Ford F250 Gas - Hoping to upgrade at some point

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevej72 View Post
    Unfortunately I only have 30 amp. I didn't do enough research prior to buying. Ultimately will probably lose a lot of money to get what works for us.

It may be more economical to switch over to a 50 amp converter, plug and cord than to trade in over a 2nd AC if you are hapy with your trailer otherwise.
    Then adding a 2nd AC would require electrical run to the vent if it isn't set up for it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get Micro-Air Easy Starts for your AC units if you are adding a 2nd AC unit. I can run both my 15K AC units on 30amps with no problems. Each unit consumes about 1500 watts or 12 amps running. I can also run 2ACs on my 3000 watt inverter when supplemented with my Honda 2200 watt inverter. Did a couple of Harvest Hosts like this and it worked well. Of course I run the fridge and Hot Water Heater on propane when on 30 amps.
    2021 - Grand Design Solitude S-2930RL
    2020 - Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 6.7L CCLB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast