User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GD not allowing replacement of items that were not factory installed?

Is it a Grand Design policy that you can't order a replacement part that your camper didn't leave the factory with?

Have damaged 3 season doors. They are the old style where the "closed" function is clear PVC that velcros over the screen.

I would like to replace the damaged door and the other ones with the new style that has the clear acrylic "glass" that slides up and down.

From every measurement I've made, they are a bolt in replacement. The existing header and side mounts work.

Lippert won't sell to the public. GD dealers won't sell me something that wasn't OEM install.

Any ideas?

Is there something I missed that makes them not a bolt in or minor mod that I wouldn't see until I tried to install them?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CX500T View Post
    Is it a Grand Design policy that you can't order a replacement part that your camper didn't leave the factory with?

Have damaged 3 season doors. They are the old style where the "closed" function is clear PVC that velcros over the screen.

I would like to replace the damaged door and the other ones with the new style that has the clear acrylic "glass" that slides up and down.

From every measurement I've made, they are a bolt in replacement. The existing header and side mounts work.

Lippert won't sell to the public. GD dealers won't sell me something that wasn't OEM install.

Any ideas?

Is there something I missed that makes them not a bolt in or minor mod that I wouldn't see until I tried to install them?

Have you tried just a straight internet search?

There are a few RV dealers that have a strong Internet presence and they might be able to sell you the doors you desire.

Also, have you tried Grand Design direct? I understand they are expanding their part sales directly to owners now.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried a search and came up with a couple dealers. Both wanted my vin and said that they can sell me the one it left the factory with. Have not tried GD direct yet.

2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried a search and came up with a couple dealers. Both wanted my vin and said that they can sell me the one it left the factory with. Have not tried GD direct yet.

If no luck with GD, find someone you know that has the doors and provide their VIN to a dealer to order the part....may or may not work. I've heard Pharr RV our of Texas is good for ordering parts, might try them as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you trying to order it through a GD dealer parts department? Or direct with GD (I can understand if GD won't sell it direct)?
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changing Lanes on YouTube took their Momentum to GD and had the doors replaced like you want. We would like to do the same - NOW, If GD only did it because of "Changing Lanes" huge YouTube presence I can't say.
    Scott & Deb
    2017 Momentum 350M toy hauler fully loaded with full paint job.
    2017 Ford F450 Lariat

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you followed Changing Lanes saga, you'd know it is not necessarily a bolt-on modification. Even for coaches built consecutively on the line. Their mod had Lippert and GD involved with lots of measurements and was done out in Indiana where things could be worked through. I have no doubt dealers are not working with you because they want no headache from you should it turn out not to be bolt-on. I am also too versed in dealer parts departments getting involved with anything that requires special shipping after warranty, especially through COVID-19. VERY commonly becomes a money-losing proposition for them when poorly packaged, awkward goods are damaged in transit. Non-warranty parts ordered are their headache if damaged, and you haven't lived till you experience how unbelievably effective freight carriers are in taking zero responsibility!

I also believe GD and Lippert decided there were too many potential gotchas to make this a broadly available mod. Changing Lanes mod was a test bed, not a favor. Reach out to Tara and Chad - great folks, and maybe they can share what they know.
    Last edited by geotex1; 09-14-2021 at 08:14 PM.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did reach out to Changing Lanes via commentary on FB.

Don't have another direct reach for them.

I may end up making my own doors, and incorporate dog door and some other things in the design. I'll have to measure when we're camping this weekend,

2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    22 Ford F-450
    Va Beach, VA

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did reach out to Changing Lanes via commentary on FB.

Don't have another direct reach for them.

I may end up making my own doors, and incorporate dog door and some other things in the design. I'll have to measure when we're camping this weekend,

They have been bombarded with their channel takeoff. I cannot freely share their contact details, but would encourage you to try their web page contact form. They really do try to respond to their followers, but undoubtedly it's not easy as they're making a business out of their RV lifestyle and Chad still has his remote work.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Chad lost his job but they had some deal with HGTV for some new show or something. I did inquire about Chad's inverter replacement and ask if he'd do it again and he did give me an honest response. Be patient, Chad seems like an good honest person but probably overwhelmed due to his knowledge and experience. I do wish that if GD/Lippert did something for them that they aren't willing to do for the masses they'd just not talk about. I don't really want to hear about an improvement I can't have.
    Scott & Deb
    2017 Momentum 350M toy hauler fully loaded with full paint job.
    2017 Ford F450 Lariat

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast