User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're currently waiting on a replacement section for our Gen 1 door, I think I may be able to fab up something that works with the Gen 1 frame and works like a Gen 2.

Is there anything people liked better about the Gen 1 vs the Gen 2, and is there anything you don't like about the Gen 2?

Probably going to TIG weld up a frame, add the sliding window tracks and cut Lexan or similar for doggo resistance. Will likely build a doggy door into one of the sections as well to let the Foul Beasts out onto the Patio.

Maybe this is my excuse to finally buy a lightweight inverter TIG welder. Being that my behemoth TIG 300/300 is a bit hard to power in an RV park (takes 125A, weighs 800 pounds). I already weld up a ton of square tube aluminum for Christmas light displays.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TIG300.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	36680

Name:	AluminumMaxFrame.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	36681

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CX500T View Post
    Is it a Grand Design policy that you can't order a replacement part that your camper didn't leave the factory with?

Have damaged 3 season doors. They are the old style where the "closed" function is clear PVC that velcros over the screen.

I would like to replace the damaged door and the other ones with the new style that has the clear acrylic "glass" that slides up and down.

From every measurement I've made, they are a bolt in replacement. The existing header and side mounts work.

Lippert won't sell to the public. GD dealers won't sell me something that wasn't OEM install.

Any ideas?

Is there something I missed that makes them not a bolt in or minor mod that I wouldn't see until I tried to install them?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    Umm - have you actually talked to someone in Grand Designs parts department? They may sell to you direct, at your own risk, or they may give you all the original part numbers so you can have a non-GD supplier get them for you from Lippert, etc.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    Umm - have you actually talked to someone in Grand Designs parts department? They may sell to you direct, at your own risk, or they may give you all the original part numbers so you can have a non-GD supplier get them for you from Lippert, etc.
    Yes. Parts will only tell me part number for my trailer, as delivered. They will not sell the doors, old or new direct to you. They told me to call Lippert. Lippert tells me to call GD.

I told them I know it CAN be done, I've seen video showing as such.

"Sir, if you want them, you can order a new 2022"

Seriously?
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CX500T View Post
    We're currently waiting on a replacement section for our Gen 1 door, I think I may be able to fab up something that works with the Gen 1 frame and works like a Gen 2.

Is there anything people liked better about the Gen 1 vs the Gen 2, and is there anything you don't like about the Gen 2?

Probably going to TIG weld up a frame, add the sliding window tracks and cut Lexan or similar for doggo resistance. Will likely build a doggy door into one of the sections as well to let the Foul Beasts out onto the Patio.

Maybe this is my excuse to finally buy a lightweight inverter TIG welder. Being that my behemoth TIG 300/300 is a bit hard to power in an RV park (takes 125A, weighs 800 pounds). I already weld up a ton of square tube aluminum for Christmas light displays.

Name:	TIG300.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	36680

Name:	AluminumMaxFrame.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	36681
    I'm not 100% sure what's new to gen 2 other than the glass, but here's what I like over all:

* The doors sliding to open
    * The pull cable that allows the doors to swing out
    * Solid pane glass vs. plastic
    * The ability to remove the doors if extra garage length is needed.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scoganz View Post
    I thought Chad lost his job but they had some deal with HGTV for some new show or something. I did inquire about Chad's inverter replacement and ask if he'd do it again and he did give me an honest response. Be patient, Chad seems like an good honest person but probably overwhelmed due to his knowledge and experience. I do wish that if GD/Lippert did something for them that they aren't willing to do for the masses they'd just not talk about. I don't really want to hear about an improvement I can't have.
    He fired himself? Lol. He's an independent contractor so maybe lost a contract but not really losing a job unless he fired himself.

Betas don't always lead to mainstream even when everyone knows about them and regardless of product or market.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand, to order parts from GD you do need a vin. It doesn't necessarily need to be your vin. A friend of mine ordered a bunch of parts to do mods on his trailer, doors, countertops, a window, etc. He toured the dealer lot and found the parts he needed, noted the vin and ordered everything.

I don't know why they do it that way but he got all the parts he needed.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call Bontrager’s RV Surplus. They are the largest RV surplus in Michigan/Indiana. If you ever go to Elkhart/Middlebury, you NEED to stop in to Bontragers. Super helpful and the prices are right! Toll-Free: (866) 483-7017

Or
    Factory RV (269) 464-2245
    Or
    Surplus Online (888) 303-8586
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would you rather deal with a client that needs a warranty part that came on his original trailer or deal with someone that want's to pay for an upgrade? Then ask yourself, what would the lemon law or judge say. Sadly, you can stomp up and down all you want, but I would take care of the clients I have under warranty or new trailers that are on the production line.

Sadly, we live in the world of covid and that is where the companies are at. If you have not noticed, it's an issue with EVERYTHING not just the RV business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno. Ford had zero problem selling me F350 axle spacers to put on a F250.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably because they can't sell any cars/trucks because of the computer chips and therefore they have other parts that they would love to get rid of.

It's all common sense. You take care of the assembly line first, the warranty clients second, and everyone else is last. Sorry, that is the way it is and will always be. Anyone that has ever run a successful business knows that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast