Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slide topper

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Thanks droundtree.....never heard of them "unrolling'.
    Thanks for the good advice.
    Ray

They should never unroll while traveling. Everyone I've seen has some sort of anti-billowing device built in to them. On my toppers (dealership installed) there is an adjustable mechanical plunger that is part of the awning system that locks the awning and prevents it from unrolling when the slideout is fully retracted. The plunger depresses when it hits a disc on the side of the RV and locks the roller tube from turning.
    If the awning is unrolling then adjustments are needed to the plunger.

As you can see in my picture below there's a bolt with an adjustment nut on it... unfortunately the dealership did a crappy install and the little rubber bumper was not installed in the correct spot. They fixed it by putting a larger round black rubber disc to cover the spot...it all works well now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211005-095339_Photos.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	37037
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Not a 303, but we intend to install slide toppers on our 351M next year. It just doesn't look hard enough to justify $1000 labor to install. We had them on our last 5th wheel and they are da bomb. Had them over 10 years with absolutely no issues. Some toppers come with the "anti-sail" device to keep them from coming unwound. We simply wouldn't be without them. If you camp when it's warm/hot, they do wonders to keep the heat off the top of the slide. We would have them already, but they were unavailable before we left.
    Thanks Howard, am going ti get the Solara brand....it will be good to have them. I have them on my 230 and never an issue.
    Thanks again.
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are Carefree awnings that we had installed aftermarket by a shop. There are anti-billowing devices on the market for Solera, perhaps you have these installed. The shop is supposed to be discussing this with Carefree to see if they have a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Googled Solera ant-billowing device and saw what you were talking about. They do make some, however they didn't come with our toppers so we didnt install them. Infact Solera's website states they are not needed. If your Carefree toppers dont workout, you might look at the Solera toppers. Checkout their features section... they compare theirs to Dometic and Carefree.

https://store.lci1.com/slide-topper-...e-top-awn.html

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Where we have gone... So, speaking behind my collection of grey hair, not all toppers are the same! At the factory, GD uses Carefree Alpines on Solitude and Momentum. These are the lowest grade, entry level toppers available. There are better available from Carefree and the competition. I have had a wide array over the decades of campers. To the poster replacing toppers due to damage in transit, do please stop and upgrade your toppers! Upgraded models have mechanical means where this won't happen. Wind fluttering is very real! For us, having grown up along the shore, we don't camp there and it's not been an issue. Tying down is your recourse however. I see toppers as a personal choice and not fitting for everyone. Figure out your own needs, and look at you options, and proceed from there. None, absolutely none, are challenging to install. Just need to carefully read the instructions, plan, and execute. The hardest part is the mental game of drilling holes in your coach!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Googled Solera ant-billowing device and saw what you were talking about. They do make some, however they didn't come with our toppers so we didnt install them. Infact Solera's website states they are not needed. If your Carefree toppers dont workout, you might look at the Solera toppers. Checkout their features section... they compare theirs to Dometic and Carefree.

https://store.lci1.com/slide-topper-...e-top-awn.html
    It's ironic that when you look at the bottom of the page, one of the accessories listed is an "anti-billowing kit for slide topper". Is it for older versions of their slide topper? Thought that was kind of funny. But, so far no issues with our Solera toppers or awning. Fingers crossed...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Left The Driveway Lovetowanderrv's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All great observations regarding slide toppers. From experience I had my slide toppers installed aftermarket on a previous rig. Frankly I believe that it might have been a primary cause of some de-lamination issues I had with my rig. I went with the factory install this go around to put the responsibility on GD under there warranty.

I have not had any issues, beats cleaning the slides after we park for long stays.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by droundtree View Post
    Well I have found slide toppers to be a mixed bag. They are very good if you camp a lot in the woods with leaves and debris on top of the slides, but they are noisy in the wind and very high maintenance. I have mine on three slides for five years and have replaced all of them once and one of them for the second time. If you get caught in a severe crosswind while in transit they will unroll and destroy themselves, they even have a name for it: billowing. So if you’re headed into winds more than 20-30 mph just stop. It’s cheaper than replacing them. Hopefully someone on this thread knows more than I do because I am sorry I ever put them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had slide toppers on a 2012 Tiffin Phaeton that I used to have. I always climbed up on the roof to clean off the slide toppers. I couldn't see roiling up the toppers with a bunch of debris on them. So what is the point. Now I am too old to go up on the roof, so I carry an 8" step ladder and a battery powdered leaf blower. I clean off the top of the slides before closing them. I have no slide toppers on my Solitude.
    Oh by the way both the slide toppers and the awning had metal covers that closed over them when rolled up. I don't know who made them.
    Last edited by Malco1; 10-09-2021 at 03:34 PM.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, if you're going to clean the slide toppers then why bother, but that's what they're there for so I don't touch 'em. They're supposed to save work not add to the load.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Yeah, if you're going to clean the slide toppers then why bother, but that's what they're there for so I don't touch 'em. They're supposed to save work not add to the load.
    Yup.....Agree! When they roll back in during slide retraction, most of the "stuff" rolls off onto the ground, except maybe road dust. Now, just like awnings, you want to try and roll them up when dry to prevent mold growing from being wet. And then possibly clean them up every once in a while with some vinyl cleaner and protector. But not having to clean those GD slide roofs, and the extra sun shade they provide is well worth having them to me!
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast