User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    By the comments here I'm wondering if RA used to be effective but is no longer. Several years ago, I was a Coachnet member. Used them once for towing of vehicle from my personal residence, but never on the road. Comments on CN on various forums were always positive. I recently purchased GS because of price, but I will be early cancelling based on comments.

Now CN falls right into the same complaint category as all the others. So maybe the poor service from all of the RA companies is a recent thing, and is becoming the standard.

A question I have is how do you initiate roadside service on your own? Do you just google "towing" in the closest town to where you are located? My concern is always having cell service.
    Yep, Google, Yelp, look at reviews, and call like any other service you might be looking for on the road. Hopefully you will have cell service if you need assistance, but that's the case whether or not you have an RA plan.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my 2, maybe 3 cents.

I've had AAA for 20+ years, finally moved to Nationwide Insurance RA. In total had 5 times we needed it, only once (AAA) did the the towing service actually show up and that was in a parking garage in downtown Cleveland in the middle of the day. Four were with AAA and once with Nationwide. In general poor experiences across the board for the handful of times we needed it, however I've come to the realization how little control these RA programs have over the quality of service from the towing networks they affiliate themselves.They claim to provide a service, hwoever they are truly just outsourcing to everything from commercial towing companies to mom and pop operations. I've waited no less than 3 hours even in populated urban areas with overpromising reps and underdelivering towing services. Now throw in the labor shortage we're experiencing and I only pray we don't have a breakdown everytime we set out. About the only thing they're good for is if you run out of fuel ,maybe a tire change, if that is even in your plan. I guess what I'm saying is there is little correlation between a good or bad experience and the probability someone is going to show up next time when something happens regardless of the plan.
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    By the comments here I'm wondering if RA used to be effective but is no longer. Several years ago, I was a Coachnet member. Used them once for towing of vehicle from my personal residence, but never on the road. Comments on CN on various forums were always positive. I recently purchased GS because of price, but I will be early cancelling based on comments.

Now CN falls right into the same complaint category as all the others. So maybe the poor service from all of the RA companies is a recent thing, and is becoming the standard.

A question I have is how do you initiate roadside service on your own? Do you just google "towing" in the closest town to where you are located? My concern is always having cell service.
    Yes, they USED to be excellent!

If you need to arrange yourself, cell service is key. Outside of hauling spare two wheel transport in backup, your choices become planned routes with ETA and a network to initiate a welfare check should you not show or carry a satellite phone. When we travel the southwest, I choose the latter regardless. There are many levels of plans now and the cost not bank-breaking.

Beyond the contact, route planning helps because you not only map fuel stops but you should be mapping Emergency Care so add heavy tow companies. You definitely want to go right to a tow outfit that services HD trucks and equipment. You might not need a 50-ton rotator for rescue, but they'll have goose and 5th wheel capability.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Yes, they USED to be excellent!

If you need to arrange yourself, cell service is key. Outside of hauling spare two wheel transport in backup, your choices become planned routes with ETA and a network to initiate a welfare check should you not show or carry a satellite phone. When we travel the southwest, I choose the latter regardless. There are many levels of plans now and the cost not bank-breaking.

Beyond the contact, route planning helps because you not only map fuel stops but you should be mapping Emergency Care so add heavy tow companies. You definitely want to go right to a tow outfit that services HD trucks and equipment. You might not need a 50-ton rotator for rescue, but they'll have goose and 5th wheel capability.
    Been there done that, got the Tshirt.

Our major breakdown was about 7 years ago on 90 in NY near Hamburg. Bad wheel bearing seal gave in and locked my my wheel to the hub. Real bad. Needed a new axle in the end. Called GoodSam. They said two hours. fine. Truck shows up. Guy says "I got bad news and good news...I can't tow your trailer, only vehicles..however I do know how to wedge a 2x4 in the axle to limp you to the exit with just 3 wheels on the road. Also. CampingWorld at next exit". So. yes, make sure they can tow you.
    2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
    2017 Ford F350 King Ranch 6.7 PSD Super Duty

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlenParks View Post
    We had our first breakdown pulling our 2019 Reflection 337 and it was a mess.
    We had a blown turbo hose blow on my 2019 GMC Denali HD pulling our 5th wheel back home from a camping trip in the Joseph Oregon area. We were traveling east on Interstate 84 about 14 miles outside of Ontario Oregon when we lost all power on my truck but we limped to the shoulder of the interstate, barley, it was about 7pm.
    We called called the phone number on my Good Sam membership card for help. We were directed to a roadside assistance person who was a very friendly and personable employee. We gave her our exact location using their find me app which the women sent me and we gave her the truck and trailer info and we felt pretty good about her finding us some help, while we were waiting on the shoulder as semi truck after semi truck pass by us at 70 miles per hour and in the dark which made us very nervous.
    We got a return call from the person from Good Sam about a half an hour later letting us know she is still working on our issue but did find a repair shop in Ontario that works on Diesel engines and they could tow us their when a truck shows but still no tow truck.
    Now its about 9pm when the women calls us back and now she says she may have a lead on a truck that may be able to tow the truck and trailer but no passengers (oh that sounds perfect now my wife and I can hitch hike home I guess and no their is no uber in Ontario) but she would have to get a supervisor to sign off on that tow and would get back to us on that. I told her that wasn't a ideal scenario for us and she would keep checking. THAT WAS THE LAST WE HEARD FROM HER!! She never called back and was never heard from again. I guess she went home for the night and didn't pass us on to anyone else , she just left us hanging.
    To make a long story a little shorter we called a tow company on our own and they were able to tow our truck and trailer home ( and my wife and I in the cab whit him) at 479.00 but since it was now close to midnight price didn't matter now.
    I called Good Sam the next morning around 11 am and they told us that our call was still pending, thanks for nothing GOOD SAM
    Similar here but with a flat tire on our boat trailer. We made the call, and gave all the necessary information and was told they would call back. 55 minutes later they said they found a truck to change the flat, but it was approximately a 2 hour wait. Needless to say I ended up doing it myself. But from what I understand this is the norm not the exception.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I have GS for RA and insurance, who do you all recommend for full coverage/full replacement insurance.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MooManChu View Post
    Been there done that, got the Tshirt.

Our major breakdown was about 7 years ago on 90 in NY near Hamburg. Bad wheel bearing seal gave in and locked my my wheel to the hub. Real bad. Needed a new axle in the end. Called GoodSam. They said two hours. fine. Truck shows up. Guy says "I got bad news and good news...I can't tow your trailer, only vehicles..however I do know how to wedge a 2x4 in the axle to limp you to the exit with just 3 wheels on the road. Also. CampingWorld at next exit". So. yes, make sure they can tow you.
    It's a shame so many of you have unacceptable service from your RA. Like I stated earlier in this thread I've had AAA years ago and back then they were too expensive for a family with 3 teenage drivers. GS RA covers you, your wife, your teenage kids in any vehicle you own or are a passenger in... AAA never did that! We've used our GS RA many many times over the last 15 + years with very satisfactory results. Towing, flat tires, gas... you name it we've experienced them all. On occasion the GS dispatchers have told us we could only get towed to a certain location but I learned early on that when the driver gets there they take your vehicle wherever you want... within reason. It took 4 hrs to get my previous TT and truck towed to a Camping world in Georgia but that was only because the first truck wasn't low enough so they called for a second lowboy trailer.... and towed my truck & trailer when I needed my axle replaced.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210930-035425_Photos.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	37084
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 10-07-2021 at 07:12 PM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLLynn View Post
    I've always used AAA Plus RV coverage. They have always been very responsive and have a network of providers second to none.. They fixed a flat on my RV and the wait time was less than an hour. For the car/truck, the coverage goes with you and can use the AAA services even if you are in some vehicle than your own.
    FMCA covers all vehicles and all members of family in RS membership fee. Also be aware AAA varies around the country. Each state or regional office coverage can be different. That was the explanation when I called to get information. Rep told me service could (and probably would) be different from what I was looking at. FMCA coverage is from a national company and word of mouth (from people who have used it, I haven't needed it), people who have used have been satisfied.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had Good Sam RA for 10 years and just used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. We were headed up to WV on vacation on a Sunday afternoon and my left rear tire shredded on my truck. I changed it myself. Tried to find a place to buy tires on a Sunday afternoon to no avail. Decided we would get to our destination and get tires on Monday. 70 miles up the road right rear blew. Now no spare so I called Good Sam. It took a couple of hours for a wrecker to show up. When he got there he told me they got the call to tow my truck but not the camper. So I called GS again. Spoke to a different agent and she said the first person didn't enter it properly. The first person had it set up to tow us to a nearby Walmart with a service center but didn't get permission from the store manager to leave our camper there. They gave the wrecker company authorization to tow the camper so the owner brought his dually to pull our camper. We had our dog so he was not allowed to ride in the wrecker or dually. He had to ride in my truck while my wife and I rode in the dually. I can't say enough good things about the wrecker company. The owner called a local campground where he knew the owner and got us a spot for the night. He carried us and the camper to the campground. The wrecker driver came to the campground and lowered my truck down off the rollback so we could get our dog. He then took my truck to a local tire store that they recommended. They even said if the tire store couldn't come get me to take me back to get my truck to call him and he would give me a ride at no charge.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that's service!
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast