Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slide topper

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    I want to install my own slide toppers from either Carefree or Solera on my (soon to have) 303.....has anyone else done it and if so, tips tricks or advice?

To have it done from dealer on 3 slides, they are talking near $2500, man, with my mechanical experience, building race cars, wood worker, fighter jet crewdog....I feel that I can do it.

Thanks
    Just installed a Solera on my 303 a couple weeks ago. Easy job. The rig already has a pre-installed awning track built into the rain gutter over the slide. I did just one over my kitchen slide to shade my temperamental fridge as the last measure to keep it cool in hot weather. Just need someone and two ladders to help you feed the awning into the trac when you put it up. Fastening the brackets and hardware is no big deal. I wouldn't pay someone to do such an easy job.
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deerislandbrew View Post
    Just installed a Solera on my 303 a couple weeks ago. Easy job. The rig already has a pre-installed awning track built into the rain gutter over the slide. I did just one over my kitchen slide to shade my temperamental fridge as the last measure to keep it cool in hot weather. Just need someone and two ladders to help you feed the awning into the trac when you put it up. Fastening the brackets and hardware is no big deal. I wouldn't pay someone to do such an easy job.
    I've done three Reflection 5th wheels. It's pretty straight forward and several have given good advice. Here is mine; GD does not install the drip rail very high above the slider. This causes a less than desired pitch and pooling of water in some situations. So, when you position the brackets on the corners of the slide box, lower them down until there is 1/4" gap between the topper material and the top edge of the slider trim. This will give you the maximum pitch possible without installing new rails on the RV wall. (you don't want to go there). If you have an awning off your dinning slide, you may have to lower it a little to get clearance for the topper mounting (with proper pitch). Use caution on the forward end as two wires for the awning will need some repositioning.

Enjoy your project!
    Dan and Deb
    2021 337RLS
    2020 Lariat Super Duty 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab Max Tow, Air Lift 5000

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed 5 Solara slideout toppers on my fifth-wheel nearly 2 years ago. While it is definitely a 2-person job, it is not at all hard to install. After watching the Solara video on how to install them, it proved to be very straight forward. I did use butyl tape, as Solara recommended. The only thing to note is that, a few months later after exposure to the sun, the butyl tape will ooze out some from around the attachment plates. Simply take a sharp edge and run it along the perimeter of the plate, removing the excess butyl tape.

While a few have posted about high-wind issues, I have never had any such issues, even with 55-60 MPH winds and wind gusts. Perhaps those with problems may have unrolled the topper too far before mounting it on the slideout, thus not having as tightly-wound roll as needed.

As for cleaning my toppers, I only wash them when I am washing my roof, meaning once or twice a year. I do that to remove any bird droppings, tree sap, etc. that may have been deposited on the topper. Actually, I have very rarely had any stuck-on debris. I still hose off my slide outs beneath my toppers when I am washing and waxing my unit. That removes any surface dust, spider webs, and bugs that may have accumulated over time. I condition the rubber seals around the slideouts at that same time.

One final comment about toppers. I have found them to be a godsend when heavy rains fall. Before the toppers, when I was trying to sleep, it sounded like I was inside tin can with the rain pounding on the slideout. Since installing my toppers, the rain falling is a pleasant muffled sound, very soothing as I drift off to sleep.
    Last edited by mlwerner; 10-09-2021 at 08:13 PM.
    2018 Solitude 375RES
    2007 Ram 3500 6.7L Diesel Long-bed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As many have said, it's definitely doable yourself. My wife and I installed Solera on our 315RLTS. Watch a couple YouTube videos, read the directions, and have at it, you will be fine considering your skill set.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    I want to install my own slide toppers from either Carefree or Solera on my (soon to have) 303.....has anyone else done it and if so, tips tricks or advice?

To have it done from dealer on 3 slides, they are talking near $2500, man, with my mechanical experience, building race cars, wood worker, fighter jet crewdog....I feel that I can do it.

Thanks
    I just installed three Lippert Solera toppers on my 303. Bought them on Amazon where I found the cost to be much cheaper than at dealers. The instructions supplied with the toppers is very easy to follow. I used the existing tracks that are on the trailer. The instructions don’t require use of any butyl tape though it would be an extra precaution against water intrusion at the screw holes. I have only used the RV once since installing. The tops of the slides were kept dry and clean. Water did collect on one topper over the dinette. I think I may have to tighten up the springs on that one to make it more taunt.
    I did not experience any wind buffeting issues. Overall, I’m pleased with the toppers and would do it again.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, PullRite 16K Superglide, 2022 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent advise and comments frim everyone......thanks and will get mine ordered.
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide toppers

Quote Originally Posted by Canadiansteelman View Post
    I just installed three Lippert Solera toppers on my 303. Bought them on Amazon where I found the cost to be much cheaper than at dealers. The instructions supplied with the toppers is very easy to follow. I used the existing tracks that are on the trailer. The instructions don’t require use of any butyl tape though it would be an extra precaution against water intrusion at the screw holes. I have only used the RV once since installing. The tops of the slides were kept dry and clean. Water did collect on one topper over the dinette. I think I may have to tighten up the springs on that one to make it more taunt.
    I did not experience any wind buffeting issues. Overall, I’m pleased with the toppers and would do it again.
    Hi we have a 2021 303 Reflection l was looking at putting on slide toppers. l have noticed that the dinette one may be tight with the existing awning there. I really do not want to move the existing awning down it would just be another place for a leak
    Martin

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Russell View Post
    Hi we have a 2021 303 Reflection l was looking at putting on slide toppers. l have noticed that the dinette one may be tight with the existing awning there. I really do not want to move the existing awning down it would just be another place for a leak
    Martin
    I have a 303. I did the kitchen slide only. I can see that the bedroom-bath slide could be easily done as well. I wouldn't even consider the dinette slide as you are correct. Why mess with the awning on that slide. I really like using both awnings when I can. Trying to install a topper on that would be way too problematic.
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Martin Russell

Quote Originally Posted by deerislandbrew View Post
    I have a 303. I did the kitchen slide only. I can see that the bedroom-bath slide could be easily done as well. I wouldn't even consider the dinette slide as you are correct. Why mess with the awning on that slide. I really like using both awnings when I can. Trying to install a topper on that would be way too problematic.
    Thank you for the quick reply l will most likely just do the 2 on the other side. If l come up with a plan on the dinette l will definitely let you know but as is there would not be enough slope. I am surprised that grand design does not install a little lower

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Canadiansteelman View Post
    Hello. We have a 2021 303 with 2 awnings. We have 2 toppers installed in the wardrobe and driver side slides. But not one installed on the dining room ( passenger side) reading the forums I understand there is a clearance topper hardware issue with the awning hardware. It is suggested using smaller topper hardware. Our dealer said they could nit install the topper on the dining room side.
    Would you please provide the make model and size of you topper that you installed on the dining side.
    Pictures would be great.
    Many Thanks
    Coops
    2021 Reflection 303 RLS
    2012 Ram 3500 Cummins short box Crew Cab
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    Kamloops BC 🍁

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast