Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ve been to at least one that I can remember where the site advertised as being OK for up to 35’ was just long enough for the trailer only. I had to park the truck on the other side of the campground. If you limit your site selection to 50+ feet to include the truck, your options become limited. When in doubt, we just call the campground for clarification.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We chose the floor plan and hence size of the 5th wheel based on what we liked and wanted to live in a month or so at a time. We did not worry about fitting into specific campgrounds. There are plenty of campgrounds that can accommodate us at a little over 41'. There have been a few where the site was large enough, but the roads around the campground were tight. Was able to navigate them but not optimum. We like a state park south of Nashville. They have a lot of sites we can fit into, but backing in would be a problem. I took the campground map and walked around marking which sites would work for future reference.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    We chose the floor plan and hence size of the 5th wheel based on what we liked and wanted to live in a month or so at a time. We did not worry about fitting into specific campgrounds. There are plenty of campgrounds that can accommodate us at a little over 41'.
    The whole reason we are making a switch is that the 45' motorhome really limits where we can stay and it is a lot of trouble to move. The way it is now, once we get parked, we don't move the MH because it is too much trouble to do so.

We still plan on spending months at one park, but we want to be able to move the trailer on the weekends to go exploring. So, it comes down to how easy is it to move the 310 once you have it in a spot. How easy is it to level and set up?. Would you take it somewhere (perhaps a state park) for a weekend?

You might wonder why the long-term stay.... I still work full time and need good internet and cell reception to do my job. Once I find a park that provides that and that has a monthly fee (vs daily or weekly), I make that my home base. Then we explore from there.

-B
    Last edited by BrokeDown; 10-11-2021 at 06:40 PM.
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had read some about travels of a owner of a New Horizon. They have a 43 ft 26k # trailer that they tow with a Volvo. The Volvo has a sleeper and all the goodies. They will pick a spot big enough for them and stay for a month. They will then travel up to 150 miles sightseeing and sleep in the Volvo.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many of the boondocks style campgrounds in the Canadian Rockies limit you to 25ft, not sure about our Rockies.
    2021 Reflection 150 295RL
    2018 GMC 2500HD Denali Diesel 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I had read some about travels of a owner of a New Horizon. They have a 43 ft 26k # trailer that they tow with a Volvo. The Volvo has a sleeper and all the goodies. They will pick a spot big enough for them and stay for a month. They will then travel up to 150 miles sightseeing and sleep in the Volvo.
    If we wanted to stay big, we could just keep the Newmar. We could get a truck camper for weekend trips. But that is not the plan.....

We have been full-timing for 5 years in the Newmar. We know how to find big spots... and we know how painful it is trying to book 7 months' worth of big RV sites every year.

-B
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
    If we wanted to stay big, we could just keep the Newmar. We could get a truck camper for weekend trips. But that is not the plan.....

We have been full-timing for 5 years in the Newmar. We know how to find big spots... and we know how painful it is trying to book 7 months' worth of big RV sites every year.

-B
    I think your original post was a little confusing to some of us. Seems the better question is simply what is the largest 5th wheel one can buy that allows the most unrestricted use of national and state parks? With that being said, the table that was posted is helpful, though not providing specifics for individual parks.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    I think your original post was a little confusing to some of us. Seems the better question is simply what is the largest 5th wheel one can buy that allows the most unrestricted use of national and state parks? With that being said, the table that was posted is helpful, though not providing specifics for individual parks.
    I live in a state of confusion.... LOL

Access to State and National parks are a consideration, but they are pretty low down on the list of must-haves. We will be in the trailer for roughly seven months of the year, so comfort is the #1 concern. After that, flexibility is #2 , then the quality of construction.

I think the 310GK-R covers #1 and #3 .

We will still rent a spot for the summer (4 months minimum.) That will ensure I have what I need for work (cell, internet, etc.)

We would love to be able to pack up the trailer on a Friday afternoon and travel a few hours to a location that we want to explore.

For example, we were staying in The Dalles, OR, and wanted to go to Mt Rainier, WA. We ended up staying in Natchez, WA in a hotel. Natchez is about an hour and a half to the Mt Rainier entrance. When we got to the entrance of Mt Rainier, we noticed that there were a bunch of RV parks (some state and some private) that we could have stayed in. Instead of being 1.5 hours away from the entrance, we could have been 5 minutes. We have ten very similar stories from this summer.... the 45' motorhome was the limiting factor.

We are looking for a trailer that would make visiting places like Mt Rainier a possibility. If everyone says that the difference between a 35' 5th wheel and a 45' motorhome is not going to make a difference, I'll just travel in the motorhome and stay in hotels.

Hopefully, I painted a more complete picture.

-B

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Reflection 337 that is 35 feet 6 inches and have never had an problem in state parks here in Texas. Most of these parks were built during the 30's and 40's and would be considered smaller sites.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you still fit if you were 38 feet long?
    -B

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast