User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am thankful for my 2015 Ram CTD with the CP3 pump. The whole CP4 debacle is a mess that could have been avoided by not messing with success and the awareness of the Ford & Chevy experience with CP4. Although the CP3 has not been plagued by the CP4 issues, I went ahead and had the FASS lift pump and fuel filter system installed. The FASS is a superior system and would be a well worthwhile install for those with the CP4.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    RAM changed back to a modified CP3 starting in 2021 Ram HD trucks so they did move quickly once they realized the warranty issues. The big question here for Ram is why even use it in the first place with all of the problems Ford and GM have/had. I found out after I bought my 3500. Not sure if I would have bought it if I had known. Love the truck though just hoping I am lucky and it doesn't grenade on me, especially at a really bad time like towing.

Rob
    You hit it - why didn't RAM look both ways at direct competition and elsewhere first? Lol. If RAM was the first to experience, I would have said the duration was fast, but I have experienced makers move much faster when paying attention (like in can you get us ship-fulls of greensand in a matter of weeks). Time for a fresh, designed by function pump!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Yes, and do everything in your ability to keep water from getting into the pump or any air. Either will take out a CP4 rapidly... What boggles me is how long makers continued to produce with it given the growing number of failures... The automotive industry is usually the fastest industry to pivot when it's losing profits due to warranty repairs - that industry tracks costs of component failures like no other! As for supply, wonder if their Texas facility suffered weather-related damage earlier this year or if they're having trouble sourcing some of the detergents (low cost stuff comes from overseas).
    I'm probably doing overkill, but I have the fuel filters changed every 5 - 10K miles (book says 20K). I keep the tank full when there are swings in temps between night and day - especially in high humidity environments. I buy fuel from high-volume points-of-sale (if that's worth anything these days). Anything else I need to be doing?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I'm probably doing overkill, but I have the fuel filters changed every 5 - 10K miles (book says 20K). I keep the tank full when there are swings in temps between night and day - especially in high humidity environments. I buy fuel from high-volume points-of-sale (if that's worth anything these days). Anything else I need to be doing?

Rob
    I'm still adding Howes Diesel Treat every fill-up, mostly for the anti-gel and water dispersing in NH but it does have a lubricant. Everyone has their own preferred product but that's in every gas station up here pretty much - figure it can't hurt. For my 05 F-350 6.0, Archoil could not be beat for stiction but didn't see much of a difference with their fuel additive.

My book says 10K oil change and 15K fuel filter change. Just changed the oil -wish I had had the fuel filters done also. It's going back to dealer for fuel filters as soon as I can get an appointment. What worries me about that is the quality of the techs - there's a whole lot of air in the empty filters. When they cancelled my oil change due to tech shortage, I started to worry.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob
    You might also drain the fuel conditioning module periodically. If it's like the 6.0L, it's pretty simple. Get any water out before the light goes on.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob
    Consider a premptive pump replacement. If I still had my 2011 Duramax with 90K on the clock, that is what I would have done. It is far cheaper to just swap it out before it fails.... And depending on your mileage you may have gotten the majority of its life by now.
    I have never seen a motor that did not need a fuel pump replacement in its lifespan.... With most motors a failed pump just means a few hundred dollars and you are back on the road. Only with the CP4 is it over 10K to get it fixed.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    In retrospect, couldn't find any F-350 or 3500 SRWs or DRWs anywhere near me so when I saw the 2020, I jumped. Like you, not sure I would have purchased it had I known. But I am keeping all of my fuel receipts. It's not fun - lost my VP44 in an instant just after returning from Florida with a horse trailer behind. Luckily a short distance from home and actual room to pull off the highway and not block a side road.

Got to love this quote from Diesel Power Products:
    "From there, you’re left with two options if you’re driving a 2019 or 2020 Ram and don’t want to tempt fate: change the pump or change the truck."
    Yup that about sums it up. Probably change the pump after warranty is done if Ram doesn't. Too expensive to change the truck I think
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Consider a premptive pump replacement. If I still had my 2011 Duramax with 90K on the clock, that is what I would have done. It is far cheaper to just swap it out before it fails....
    Definitely consider replacing/changing the lift pump. If the CP4 doesn't get enough fuel, it will be toast. That's what killed my VP44 and it was slow decrease in fuel flow from the lift pump that I never have noticed driving. After the fact, there was a pressure senor and warning light that I could have installed. I'm not sure I've found a good system for my current model, but the ScanGauge I put in my daughters f-350 was worth the money.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob
    I would say you are doing everything you can outside of a conversion.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are scarring the crap out of me. I've been a little concerned about the emissions system going haywire, but then I learned of this CP4 problem about a year ago, then realized our truck is a 2018 so it should have the CP3. It has about 55K miles on it now. On the other hand I've read the CP3 may not be trouble free either.

Oh well, I guess it is what it is. I refuel at good places, Keep the filters changed between 13-15K mile intervals with OEM filters, use Shell Rotella T6. About every other tank I add some Power Service Product additive in the fuel. Thats about all a body can do.

The 4 wheel drive went out about a month ago, the actuator on the front axle, seems that is a problem to. Fixed under powertrain warranty in about an hour. We are about half way through the 5 year/100K powertrain warranty.

As a side note, I was watching a U-Tube where a guy had got fined 100K by the EPA for installing delete kits. Got that adjudicated down to 25K.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 10-19-2021 at 06:07 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast