User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question 30A Cold Weather Flexable Power Cord

I currently have a Furrion power cord for my 220RK Its the typical 30A twist lock with ring and RV30A end. Below about 40 degrees it get very still and is almost impossible to coil up easily.

Can anyone recommend a power cord that is flexible in cold weather that is easier to work with?

Thanks

PS Some have recommended the SmartPlug, but is it flexible in cold weather. Its pricey so I want to make sure it works.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    I currently have a Furrion power cord for my 220RK Its the typical 30A twist lock with ring and RV30A end. Below about 40 degrees it get very still and is almost impossible to coil up easily.

Can anyone recommend a power cord that is flexible in cold weather that is easier to work with?

Thanks

PS Some have recommended the SmartPlug, but is it flexible in cold weather. Its pricey so I want to make sure it works.
    The reason they are so stiff, is because they use the cheapest type of insulation to make the cord. If you can find a cord that uses an insulation that is a
    SOOW instead of a thermal-plastic type of insulation, it will be easy to work with, even in the bitter cold. The thermal plastic stuff is pretty shiny, the SOOW will be a dull black and is more rubberlike.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @powerscol
    You already have my answer Keith....Same as xrated......he's a smart guy...but then...I may be biased.....

The SOOW I have is a dull yellow....
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    @powerscol
    You already have my answer Keith....Same as xrated......he's a smart guy...but then...I may be biased.....

Smart guy?.....some may disagree with that statement..LOL! Yep, SOOW is pretty flexible/limp....kind of like a cooked spaghetti noodle....only not as tasty!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several folks over on an Airstream forum have said they use a ParkPower Marinco cord that stays flexible in cold weather. You might check it out:

https://www.amazon.com/ParkPower-Mar...06Y1BJGG2?th=1

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get some 10ga cord and add the proper ends to it. I had some extra 240/40a welding cord so I bought ends and made some extension cords for my TT. Both ends are twist lock to fit the TT and 3500w gen. A 3 prong plug could be used as well for the power pole. It stays soft all the time. Find an elec supply store as they're cheaper than HD or Lowes.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    @powerscol

Thanks Scott and @xrated Can you share the brand of SOOW you have and the wire gauge? I am liking the idea of making my own. I can find the SOOW cable, but the end fittings are another thing as I am not sure what to get. Can you recommend any paticular brand. I can find the pedestal end, but the twist lock end is puzzling. Hoping to find a 90 degree one with the locking ring.

Thanks Everyone

Happy Holidays
    Last edited by powerscol; 12-08-2023 at 10:13 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Several folks over on an Airstream forum have said they use a ParkPower Marinco cord that stays flexible in cold weather. You might check it out:

https://www.amazon.com/ParkPower-Mar...06Y1BJGG2?th=1

Rob
    Thanks Rob

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    The reason they are so stiff, is because they use the cheapest type of insulation to make the cord. If you can find a cord that uses an insulation that is a
    SOOW instead of a thermal-plastic type of insulation, it will be easy to work with, even in the bitter cold. The thermal plastic stuff is pretty shiny, the SOOW will be a dull black and is more rubberlike.
    Yup.... its a PITA to work with even when its not cold!
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keith, Carol Super Vu-Tron
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS