User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I thought we were debating towing perfomance? Your braking example goes out the window with a trailer in tow.
    when braking hard the pin weight increases dramatically pushing the rear tires into the road.
    I didn't raise the difference in braking of SRW vs DRW. You did. I believe there is no real difference between the two.

I doubt the braking is going to behave as you described. There isn't really a weight transfer happening during braking, it is accelerations changing the forces on the vehicles. Any force from the RV deceleration is going to be forward, not down, and this will still load the front suspension of the TV, not the rear suspension.
    Last edited by BobKilmer; 12-26-2023 at 07:12 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A photo of the frame sticker on my 2021 F350 4x4 dually long bed truck. I thought it was interesting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f350 frame sticker01.jpg  
    2021 Solitude S Class 3540GK
    F-350 DRW Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKilmer View Post
    I didn't raise the difference in braking of SRW vs DRW. You did. I believe there is no real difference between the two.

I doubt the braking is going to behave as you described. There isn't really a weight transfer happening during braking, it is accelerations changing the forces on the vehicles. Any force from the RV deceleration is going to be forward, not down, and this will still load the front suspension of the TV, not the rear suspension.
    It appears you have never studied engineering or taken a dynamics class. @huntindog is correct especially for a 5th wheel. The king pin will rotate down increasing the load and depending on the hitch location effect front steering geometry. Yes it also shifts the weight forward as well. Unfortunately the trailer front axle lifts at the same time which is the result of the load shift on the equalizer. Lots of videos on this ( check MorRyde web page) showing the front wheel lockup.

Now as to the path of the load, yes the load on a SRW and DRW passes through the springs to the axle. The axle on the DRW spreads the load out wider and the springs are stiffer. Also I believe you will find the frame on a dually is slightly different than the SRW with different stuffier springs (this changes the load transfer weight) and mounting points, slightly outboard from the SRW due to the Dana 80 axle over the smaller Sterling axle. Other brands may be different. This is a good topic to search.

Now of note, I don't think the OP has been back to comment on anything since their first post I still believe he needs more truck

Also there was a post of folks towing a 150 series with a dually. I did that for a while after downsizing my trailer. I did not need a big unit anymore, and used the dually as I normally wood. Also some folk tow other trailers for work etc. Some like the extra stability of a dually too.

And there is nothing wrong with having too much truck. I have been an engineer too long to gamble on the safety of my family, to save a penny on a smaller truck.

Before I ordered my new truck I even considered a F450 for the turning radius and possible future trailer. I like to stay away from glamping (full hookups) and like the state and local parks and even the Nation Parks, all of which have average max unit length of about 35' and have tight sites, many unchanged fir over 40 years, and yes I have been towing various RV's that long or longer.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    It appears you have never studied engineering or taken a dynamics class. @huntindog is correct especially for a 5th wheel. The king pin will rotate down increasing the load and depending on the hitch location effect front steering geometry. Yes it also shifts the weight forward as well. Unfortunately the trailer front axle lifts at the same time which is the result of the load shift on the equalizer. Lots of videos on this ( check MorRyde web page) showing the front wheel lockup.

Now as to the path of the load, yes the load on a SRW and DRW passes through the springs to the axle. The axle on the DRW spreads the load out wider and the springs are stiffer. Also I believe you will find the frame on a dually is slightly different than the SRW with different stuffier springs (this changes the load transfer weight) and mounting points, slightly outboard from the SRW due to the Dana 80 axle over the smaller Sterling axle. Other brands may be different. This is a good topic to search.

Now of note, I don't think the OP has been back to comment on anything since their first post I still believe he needs more truck

Also there was a post of folks towing a 150 series with a dually. I did that for a while after downsizing my trailer. I did not need a big unit anymore, and used the dually as I normally wood. Also some folk tow other trailers for work etc. Some like the extra stability of a dually too.

And there is nothing wrong with having too much truck. I have been an engineer too long to gamble on the safety of my family, to save a penny on a smaller truck.

Before I ordered my new truck I even considered a F450 for the turning radius and possible future trailer. I like to stay away from glamping (full hookups) and like the state and local parks and even the Nation Parks, all of which have average max unit length of about 35' and have tight sites, many unchanged fir over 40 years, and yes I have been towing various RV's that long or longer.
    You really should check your facts before making personal comments. I have degrees in Math, Physics, and Engineering. And 40 years of engineering experience designing and building complex, real world, aircraft and systems. I will match my engineering skills and experience against anyone. If you would like I will exchange resumes.

That experience, and the multiple dynamics classes I HAVE taken, are why I can say that huntindog is wrong. In fact, if you look at your comments, they indicate exactly what I said will happen. The load will transfer primarily to the front axles of the truck. If you draw a static and dynamic load diagram you will see that.

As for the wider body, I guess you didn't see the post just before yours. The F-350 Dually frame is the same as the F-350 SRW and F-250 SRW frame. The frame load paths are the same. Stiffer springs don't change the load path or the actual weight transferred.

For the load paths, again draw a static and dynamic load diagram. The torque and weight from the hitch is following a common load path on both the SRW and DRW path down to the axle. For there to be a difference in SRW vs DRW, there would have to be one of the following happening:
    1) The axle is flexing to the point it can be felt in the truck. Doubtful any axle could take this much flex.
    2) The tire tread is compressing to the point of being felt in the truck. Extremely doubtful. I would expect this to be accompanied by a squealing noise similar to cornering too hard.
    Unless those are happening weight to the axle is the same as weight to the ground. Being wider doesn't help until there is enough force to try to lift a tire. Then being wider helps.

The one valid point you make is the difference in spring weights. That is the one difference that matters under normal conditions. I believe that the reported improvement for towing performance that most people talk about is due to this factor. I realized that long ago and I offset the added load of towing with my air springs. It doesn't change my ratings, but it allows me to use the full towing capability without any concerns about hitting my overload springs.

You are also correct about there not being anything wrong with having too much truck. But there is something wrong about confusing preference versus requirements, or making subtle jabs about safety wrapped in moneysaving comments.
    Last edited by BobKilmer; 12-26-2023 at 10:12 PM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You really should check your facts before making personal comments. I have degrees in Math, Physics, and Engineering. And 40 years of engineering experience designing and building complex, real world, aircraft and systems. I will match my engineering skills and experience against anyone. If you would like I will exchange resumes.

That experience, and the multiple dynamics classes I HAVE taken, are why I can say that hutindog is wrong. In fact, if you look at your comments, they indicate exactly what I said will happen. The load will transfer primarily to the front axles of the truck. If you draw a static and dynamic load diagram you will see that.

As for the wider body, I guess you didn't see the post just before yours. The F-350 Dually frame is the same as the F-350 SRW and F-250 SRW frame. The frame load paths are the same. Stiffer springs don't change the load path or the actual weight transferred.

For the load paths, again draw a static and dynamic load diagram. The torque and weight from the hitch is following a common load path on both the SRW and DRW path down to the axle. For there to be a difference in SRW vs DRW, there would have to be one of the following happening:
    1) The axle is flexing to the point it can be felt in the truck. Doubtful any axle could take this much flex.
    2) The tire tread is compressing to the point of being felt in the truck. Extremely doubtful. I would expect this to be accompanied by a squealing noise similar to cornering too hard.
    Unless those are happening weight to the axle is the same as weight to the ground. Being wider doesn't help until there is enough force to try to lift a tire. Then being wider helps.

The one valid point you make is the difference in spring weights. That is the one difference that matters under normal conditions. The reported improvement on towing performance is due to this factor. I realized that long ago and I offset the added load of towing with my air springs. It doesn't change my ratings, but it allows me to use the full towing capability without any concerns about hitting my overload springs.

You are also correct about there not being anything wrong with having too much truck. But there is something wrong about confusing preference versus requirements, or making subtle jabs about safety wrapped in moneysaving comments.
    Not going down the rabbit hole

Safe travels
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not if your trailer brakes are working as they should be.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Properly set up brakes will cause some but not huge upward/downward, forward/backward forces on the KP. Opinion...no data to back that up...lol
    Typically, 70% of the braking of the TV is done by the front brakes. If there is extra pressure on the KP either upward or downward, it will change the point in which the anti-lock moderates the pressure in a panic stop.
    IMO, the safety discussion is just personal. If you are towing within the rated payload of your TV, or the one you are about to buy, you are lots safe. How you drive is probably a bigger factor in safety..lol
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Properly set up brakes will cause some but not huge upward/downward, forward/backward forces on the KP. Opinion...no data to back that up...lol
    Typically, 70% of the braking of the TV is done by the front brakes. If there is extra pressure on the KP either upward or downward, it will change the point in which the anti-lock moderates the pressure in a panic stop.
    IMO, the safety discussion is just personal. If you are towing within the rated payload of your TV, or the one you are about to buy, you are lots safe. How you drive is probably a bigger factor in safety..lol
    Very well said.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After not seeing this for a couple of days, all I can say is, “the poor OP got more than he bargained for.” Maybe the OP should find a couple buddies, one with an SRW and one with DRW and decide for himself. That would be better than trying to gather anything useful from a bickering tirade between the “I have been driving for 150 years and have 42 doctoral degrees” from the SRW-only OR the DRW-only crowd.

When deciding between two important things, I’ll usually weight the opinions of those that have had each “thing” more than those that have only had one of the “things.” That is where the “experience” piece of the “tow experience” comes from.

Don’t bother flaming this response, cause I’m out. Geez…..
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread closed.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015